Suns @ Heat Monday game thread 1-29-2024

clyde2tw

Veteran
Reaction score
If not for the pitty shooting by the Heats, they'd have lost another one. If not putting Okogie back in, who got 3 add. possessions via 2 OR and 1 moving screen call, we'd have had a 26 pt 4th qrt meltdown debacle.
Vogel's strategy to outscore the other team in the 4th qrt with tired shooting legs and generally opponents tighter defense backfires game after game. Gordon needed rest, yet he still kept him on court for 3 missed wide open 3s, before reinserting the most impactful defensive player in Okogie. And Nurk was in there in the 4th, useless on both sides for too long. Thank God he fouled out on a bad moving screen call!

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Man. This team is confusing. They dominated through three quarters but can't put a 4th quarter together.
It’s bizarre.

But understandable when they start playing 4 corners offense with ten minutes to go… again. I turned it off at that point. It’s the only way for me to enjoy this team at this point when they have a big lead going into the 4th.

Covert Rain

Father smelt of elderberries!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Man. This team is confusing. They dominated through three quarters but can't put a 4th quarter together.
The funny thing is they keep talking about how the Suns pace is not the same in the 4th. However, it's not just pace. They are turning it over and can't hit the side of a barn in the 4th either.

I don't get it.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The funny thing is they keep talking about how the Suns pace is not the same in the 4th. However, it's not just pace. They are turning it over and can't hit the side of a barn in the 4th either.

I don't get it.

Also, it seemed like the Suns were afraid to drive the ball to the basket for fear of getting it blocked.

Raindog

I didn't come here to be liked!
Reaction score

I don't get it.
Well, obviously it has become a mental thing at this point. They are getting inside their own heads when the 4th quarter rolls around.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The Suns only turned the ball over 7 times tonight and out rebounded the Heat.

They need to figure out how to get easy shots in the 4th quarter, particularly at the basket.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Grayson Allen is day-to-day with a reported sprained right ankle.

X-rays were negative.

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

wagon mound 464

Veteran
Reaction score
Another lackluster 4th quarter performance. Had a 28 pt lead and tried to piss-it away,,,,,again.

18 points in a 4th quarter isn't going to produce many wins. They got a W tonight, but low production 4th Q will kill them in most games.

The Nets are licking their chops!!

Suns_fan69

Official ASFN Lurker
Reaction score
I wasn't as bothered by the 4th quarter this game as much as previous. They had a lot of really good looks on offense, shots just weren't falling. There were a lot of wide open 3s, and a few missed bunnies at the rim. The shot quality was a LOT better than against Orlando in the 4th.

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Glad they held on but disheartened by the 4th quarter collapse. This team needs to install a new system or something in the 4th. Whoever has been calling plays should be sent to the unemployment office. There's no excuse for this sort of nonsense still happening.

Peter Sheldon

Veteran
Reaction score
If not for the pitty shooting by the Heats, they'd have lost another one. If not putting Okogie back in, who got 3 add. possessions via 2 OR and 1 moving screen call, we'd have had a 26 pt 4th qrt meltdown debacle.
Vogel's strategy to outscore the other team in the 4th qrt with tired shooting legs and generally opponents tighter defense backfires game after game. Gordon needed rest, yet he still kept him on court for 3 missed wide open 3s, before reinserting the most impactful defensive player in Okogie. And Nurk was in there in the 4th, useless on both sides for too long. Thank God he fouled out on a bad moving screen call!
Absolutely spot on!
3 things they did better in 4th qtr this time:
-More Okogie. His defense and rebounding is steller.
-Faster, more deliberate passing instead of slow 1 on 1 action by Book or KD leading to turnovers.
-Fewer turnovers

I think they should completely turn off the 3 point shot in 4th qtr unless it's KD or Grayson doing the chucking.
You have a freaking 25 point lead! All you need is a couple midrange shots and drives to pick up some fouls.
That's all you freaking need! Maybe 15 points to seal the deal.
Sure the other team will be hitting all their 4th qtr 3s. That's always going to be the case. I've come to accept that. It's so Suns.
But lead preservation is crucial.

It feels like football where your prevent defense prevents you from winning. Just let other team get all the 1st downs they want.

Also wanted to mention that it seems Eubanks/Beal seem to have a nice connection out there.
Beal looking for Eubanks off P&R while others don't. Seems mutual. Like to see more of that. Eubanks is seriously poor at interior defense
but I think he has untapped potential in other areas.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The Suns reluctance to drive the ball to the basket against a zone defense makes for tough 4th quarters.

I'm not sure why they can't or won't do it. Nurkic may simply not be quick enough to be effective.

The Suns need a big man that can flush the ball on a lob.

clyde2tw

Veteran
Reaction score
Absolutely spot on!
3 things they did better in 4th qtr this time:
-More Okogie. His defense and rebounding is steller.
-Faster, more deliberate passing instead of slow 1 on 1 action by Book or KD leading to turnovers.
-Fewer turnovers

I think they should completely turn off the 3 point shot in 4th qtr unless it's KD or Grayson doing the chucking.
You have a freaking 25 point lead! All you need is a couple midrange shots and drives to pick up some fouls.
That's all you freaking need! Maybe 15 points to seal the deal.
Sure the other team will be hitting all their 4th qtr 3s. That's always going to be the case. I've come to accept that. It's so Suns.
But lead preservation is crucial.

It feels like football where your prevent defense prevents you from winning. Just let other team get all the 1st downs they want.

Also wanted to mention that it seems Eubanks/Beal seem to have a nice connection out there.
Beal looking for Eubanks off P&R while others don't. Seems mutual. Like to see more of that. Eubanks is seriously poor at interior defense
but I think he has untapped potential in other areas.
Totally agree! Missed 3pt shots often lead to transition offense by long rebounds, which we are bad at to defend. More ball movement instead of feeding KD/Book for ISOs is good adjustment, but trusting the infamous "hot hands" without worrying about their legs is not smart. Gordon in this and Booker in the previous game missed way too many shots in the 4th, I guess partially due to tiredness. And more coherent defense also needs legs, like Allen was abused by Nemhard in closing min.