Siakam

OP
OP
Ouchie-Z-Clown

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
And Smith doesn’t have the potential to be like him now?? Siakam went to the G League too btw

You know the difference between potential and realized potential, right?
I’ll tell you what, I’ll trade you the potential for $1,000 for $1,000. Send me the cash and I’ll send you a letter stating that you potentially will get $1,000. Samesies, right?

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I still don't get why we'd trade 3 rotation players from a team that is in the NBA Finals for 1 guy who is supposed to be a star to pair with Booker and Ayton but that guy couldn't get to the playoffs in the East and wasn't even an All-Star this year either?

I like Siakam but the price is way too high and doesn't make any sense at this point.

Finito

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
You know who I would love to get on this team. Lou Dort from OKC. He makes nothing at all. I’d even give up two 1s for him since we now find ourselves drafting at the back end of the 1st. I think OKC does that.

Paul
Booker
Ayton

man you talk about surrounding them with 3&D wings. Best defensive team in basketball

Bridges
Dort
Cam Johnson
Craig
Crowder

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
For reference, here are their stats from their 3rd seasons in the league. They were both 24. This is also the year the Raptors won the title and Siakam was their 3rd or 4th option, so very comparable to Bridges in their roles.

You must be registered for see images attach

I know Siakam has gotten better but he's also become the Raptors #1 option with Kawhi gone and Lowry being too old. I wouldn't part with Bridges, Cam Johnson, Jalen Smith plus Crowder or Saric for that small increase in production. No thanks.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
You know who I would love to get on this team. Lou Dort from OKC. He makes nothing at all. I’d even give up two 1s for him since we now find ourselves drafting at the back end of the 1st. I think OKC does that.

Paul
Booker
Ayton

man you talk about surrounding them with 3&D wings. Best defensive team in basketball

Bridges
Dort
Cam Johnson
Craig
Crowder

It would be complicated. OKC already owns one of the Suns first round picks involved in the Chris Paul trade. It is protected in 2022 until 2025 at which time it becomes unprotected.

WhyAlwaysMe

ASFN Lifer
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Gutting our roster and assets for Siakam was pretty dumb, but now we got a proposal to dump assets for Lu Dort? Sit this one out, guys. Let James do his thing.

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
It would be complicated. OKC already owns one of the Suns first round picks involved in the Chris Paul trade. It is protected in 2022 until 2025 at which time it becomes unprotected.

I'd remove protection from the pick they have and then send the 2024 pick to them.

Removing the protection frees up the 2024 pick so it would be legal. Probably toss in a pair of 2nd's as well.

Proximo

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
You guys really don’t get James jones to even suggest this.

he is all about getting the right guys developing them and building a team.

if this team wins the title he will not be looking to make changes unless forced too.

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Gutting our roster and assets for Siakam was pretty dumb, but now we got a proposal to dump assets for Lu Dort? Sit this one out, guys. Let James do his thing.

I agree the Siakam deal is dumb but our picks aren't very good assets. I'd send a first off for Dort, but that would also require OKC accept us removing protection from the pick they have of ours so we can move the 2024 pick.

A future 1st for him is fair, more than that would be questionable.

OP
OP
Ouchie-Z-Clown

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
I still don't get why we'd trade 3 rotation players from a team that is in the NBA Finals for 1 guy who is supposed to be a star to pair with Booker and Ayton but that guy couldn't get to the playoffs in the East and wasn't even an All-Star this year either?

I like Siakam but the price is way too high and doesn't make any sense at this point.
Man how quickly people forget. You could’ve just described Booker prior to this year. You wouldn’t give up that package for another Booker at PF?

lots of homerism running rampant on the board.

OP
OP
Ouchie-Z-Clown

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score

Paul
Booker
Ayton

Bridges
Dort
Cam Johnson
Craig
Crowder
Why would OKC give up a very young promising player for two picks that will be late 20s when they already have more picks than they know what to do with?

OP
OP
Ouchie-Z-Clown

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
For reference, here are their stats from their 3rd seasons in the league. They were both 24. This is also the year the Raptors won the title and Siakam was their 3rd or 4th option, so very comparable to Bridges in their roles.

You must be registered for see images attach

I know Siakam has gotten better but he's also become the Raptors #1 option with Kawhi gone and Lowry being too old. I wouldn't part with Bridges, Cam Johnson, Jalen Smith plus Crowder or Saric for that small increase in production. No thanks.
Except Siakam isn’t still that player. He’s advanced. He’s a proven commodity. Could Bridges get there? Yes. Is that a guarantee? No. There’s value in certainty.

OP
OP
Ouchie-Z-Clown

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
You guys really don’t get James jones to even suggest this.

he is all about getting the right guys developing them and building a team.

if this team wins the title he will not be looking to make changes unless forced too.
That’s how GMs die. Jones is smarter than that. This suns team is terrific. But the league will be more difficult next season. We all hope our young guys continue to advance, but there’s no guarantee of that. And all of the injured players will be back. Good GMs are always looking to improve their teams. It’s why when an opportunity presented itself for the Paul trade jones made it.

OP
OP
Ouchie-Z-Clown

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
I agree the Siakam deal is dumb but our picks aren't very good assets. I'd send a first off for Dort, but that would also require OKC accept us removing protection from the pick they have of ours so we can move the 2024 pick.

A future 1st for him is fair, more than that would be questionable.
lol. You guys always overvalue our assets. Last 5 pick in the first is worth a young promising player. lol. Okay.

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
lol. You guys always overvalue our assets. Last 5 pick in the first is worth a young promising player. lol. Okay.

Says the guy who wants to trade all of our forwards for a 3rd banana because he puts up good numbers as a first banana.

You undervalue all our assets.

Except Siakam isn’t still that player. He’s advanced. He’s a proven commodity. Could Bridges get there? Yes. Is that a guarantee? No. There’s value in certainty.

Siakam isn't who he was in year 3 but if you think he'll be who he was the last 2 seasons while sharing the court with Booker, Paul, and Ayton then you're delusional. Those are the numbers he puts up as the #3 or #4 option, which is what he'd be here. He'll probably be more efficient but that's it. He's not going to continue producing at his current level, there just aren't enough touches for that to be possible. There is no certainty he'll produce that much more than when he was previously a #3 option.

And you want to do this banking on being able to replace 2-3 rotation players with minimum salary signings. There's no guarantee that we'll be able to replace that production. Signing 1 maybe 2 ring chasers is possible but we'd need to bank on doing that for quite a while since we're now in luxury tax territory for the next 3 years because we're paying 4 starters $30 million plus a year.

Last edited:

SirStefan32

Krycek, Alex Krycek
Reaction score
Man how quickly people forget. You could’ve just described Booker prior to this year. You wouldn’t give up that package for another Booker at PF?

lots of homerism running rampant on the board.

That’s how GMs die. Jones is smarter than that. This suns team is terrific. But the league will be more difficult next season. We all hope our young guys continue to advance, but there’s no guarantee of that. And all of the injured players will be back. Good GMs are always looking to improve their teams. It’s why when an opportunity presented itself for the Paul trade jones made it.

I think that we have to remember that we are talking about a team that made the finals, may win the whole thing, and has great chemistry and depth. Suns of a year or two ago can swing for the fences. Suns of this year... I don't think it's necessary. They have great chemistry, outstanding depth, and they have a lot of talent. When I look at this team, I see one major hole/ weakness- a tough, athletic PF/ C, assuming they can bring the rotation back for next year. I just don't think that trading three or four rotation players for someone like Siakam is a necessary risk. Wouldn't it be safer to grab an extra big man without giving anything up?

If the Suns finished in the lottery or even got beat in the first round, I'd be in favor of taking a risk, but when you have a team that's going to finish the year as the Western Conference champions (at the very least), I don't think a huge change is needed. If you can get a top-five or even a top-ten player, then maybe, but I don't think I want to destroy the depth and get rid of a lot of potential for someone who is maybe an all-star, and maybe a top 25-30 player in the league.

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I think that we have to remember that we are talking about a team that made the finals, may win the whole thing, and has great chemistry and depth. Suns of a year or two ago can swing for the fences. Suns of this year... I don't think it's necessary. They have great chemistry, outstanding depth, and they have a lot of talent. When I look at this team, I see one major hole/ weakness- a tough, athletic PF/ C, assuming they can bring the rotation back for next year. I just don't think that trading three or four rotation players for someone like Siakam is a necessary risk. Wouldn't it be safer to grab an extra big man without giving anything up?

If the Suns finished in the lottery or even got beat in the first round, I'd be in favor of taking a risk, but when you have a team that's going to finish the year as the Western Conference champions (at the very least), I don't think a huge change is needed. If you can get a top-five or even a top-ten player, then maybe, but I don't think I want to destroy the depth and get rid of a lot of potential for someone who is maybe an all-star, and maybe a top 25-30 player in the league.

I agree we have a hole at PF but at the same time our current starting PF has now made 2 straight NBA Finals as his teams starting PF. So is it really a hole or is it us fans failing to accept that the league has changed and PF isn't what it used to be.

How many teams in the playoffs have PF's who would have been considered PF's 5-6 years ago and have a huge edge on our current PF? Outside the Lakers and the Bucks, I'm not seeing anyone stand out that much. The Hawks, maybe, if they can retain Collins, which isn't guaranteed. Meanwhile Utah, Philly, Denver, Clippers, Nets, Portland, Dallas, Boston, and Miami are all teams that have frontcourts like us.

SirStefan32

Krycek, Alex Krycek
Reaction score
I agree we have a hole at PF but at the same time our current starting PF has now made 2 straight NBA Finals as his teams starting PF. So is it really a hole or is it us fans failing to accept that the league has changed and PF isn't what it used to be.

How many teams in the playoffs have PF's who would have been considered PF's 5-6 years ago and have a huge edge on our current PF? Outside the Lakers and the Bucks, I'm not seeing anyone stand out that much. The Hawks, maybe, if they can retain Collins, which isn't guaranteed. Meanwhile Utah, Philly, Denver, Clippers, Nets, Portland, Dallas, Boston, and Miami are all teams that have frontcourts like us.
Oh I agree, and my phrasing could have been more clear- I am fine with Crowder starting, but outside of Ayton, the Suns have no mobile and at least semi-athletic big on the roster. I don't think they need to get a starter at 4, but they need to get some size/ athleticism at 4/5 behind Ayton. Hobbled Davis was a problem in the first round, and Cousins looked really good against Dario when the Clippers decided to go with him while Ayton was on the bench.

I am pulling names out of thin air here, but Richaun Holmes, Robin Lopez, Daniel Theis are the type of guys the Suns could use if Crowder is the starting 4. Dario and Frank can't be their 4/5 depth if Crowder is the starting 4.

OP
OP
Ouchie-Z-Clown

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
Says the guy who wants to trade all of our forwards for a 3rd banana because he puts up good numbers as a first banana.

You undervalue all our assets.

Siakam isn't who he was in year 3 but if you think he'll be who he was the last 2 seasons while sharing the court with Booker, Paul, and Ayton then you're delusional. Those are the numbers he puts up as the #3 or #4 option, which is what he'd be here. He'll probably be more efficient but that's it. He's not going to continue producing at his current level, there just aren't enough touches for that to be possible. There is no certainty he'll produce that much more than when he was previously a #3 option.

And you want to do this banking on being able to replace 2-3 rotation players with minimum salary signings. There's no guarantee that we'll be able to replace that production. Signing 1 maybe 2 ring chasers is possible but we'd need to bank on doing that for quite a while since we're now in luxury tax territory for the next 3 years because we're paying 4 starters $30 million plus a year.
First, go read my original post. I wasn’t stumping for this, I asked what people thought of the deal. The GS talk got me curious so I threw that out there. Second, usually once a player proves their value on a championship team and in subsequent years they’re not going to backslide.
And just what do you think most championship teams do? They usually get tapped out with their best players and have revolving role players to keep competitive.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
We’re getting to that point between series where we really need games to talk about because everyone’s getting antsy and taking it out on each other, huh?

Chillax y’all and enjoy the calm before the storm because things are about to get nuts on Tuesday.

WhyAlwaysMe

ASFN Lifer
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Trading two mediocre players on a sub-500 team for an MVP is a bit different than trading multiple rotation players on a Finals team for a good player who can’t shoot on a team that thrives with spacing.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'd remove protection from the pick they have and then send the 2024 pick to them.

Removing the protection frees up the 2024 pick so it would be legal. Probably toss in a pair of 2nd's as well.

I'm was commenting about the the Suns situation after trading a protected first round pick for Chris Paul and the resultant complications involving trading future first round picks.

I'd be fine if the Suns removed protection for the 2022 pick traded to OKC so Phoenix would have access to future first round picks. I'm not sure how OKC feels about it though.

At the moment I'm not proposing any trades.

FB94

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Not now. Main goal next year is bring in vet backup center to spell Ayton. One that will give us defense and rebounding primarily with 8-10 points a game.

Proximo

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Well has been noted on this board many many times, my faith in James Jones is far less than the majority of posters on here apparently.

I don't think for a second Jones had a damn thing to do with getting chris Paul here, CP3 called the Suns. Then Jones found out how much Booker wanted it to happen, and Monty was in favor so he did the deal. Never would have happened if Paul did not seek the Suns out IMO.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Beagleperson