Why I don't want Durant

Yuma

Suns are my Kryptonite!
Reaction score
It's crazy to think having Cam Johnson wouldn't help. I'm not sure what else there is to address. Adding a 6'8 stretch forward who is averaging 15 & 5 while shooting 40% from 3 would definitely help this team. We have no reliable forwards beside KD. That gives us another starter, allowing Grayson or Gordon to get acclimated into a bench role.

Tell me how he wouldn't help, please.
We have multiple guys playing his role right now and it has not translated into wins. You have watched this team and honestly think just having Cam would make us one of the top teams in the NBA? He would have to be bringing more than 5 rebounds and offer us some shot blocking capabilities. We would need way more defense out of him. Rebounding is where we are weak. I just don't see it. Nice to have. Yes. Difference maker? I don't think so.

I said make a difference, translating into making us a top team. I didn't say help. You brought up the word help.

"I notice everyone skipped by the part where I noted that Cam J probably would not be the difference right now in this team winning." This is what I said.

Joe Mama

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I feel like if this team was just relatively healthy we be about in the middle of the western conference playoff standings. It's not just Beal. It seems like we always have three or four of our top eight players out and it's not at all consistent.

I don't necessarily think the problem is Kevin Durant, but I agree that right now that trade looks like a mistake. I do think we would be a better team with Booker and bridges in the back court, cam and Allen/ Josh o at forward and a center.

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
We have multiple guys playing his role right now and it has not translated into wins. You have watched this team and honestly think just having Cam would make us one of the top teams in the NBA? He would have to be bringing more than 5 rebounds and offer us some shot blocking capabilities. We would need way more defense out of him. Rebounding is where we are weak. I just don't see it. Nice to have. Yes. Difference maker? I don't think so.

I said make a difference, translating into making us a top team. I didn't say help. You brought up the word help.

"I notice everyone skipped by the part where I noted that Cam J probably would not be the difference right now in this team winning." This is what I said.

I believe we would definitely win more with Cam than we have. We have had 14 different starting lineups over 28 games, which is crazy, and part of that is no one has stepped as a forward. KBD, Little, Metu, and Allen have all started at Forward. Cam is more consistent than them and other than Allen, he's a whole lot better on both ends. He's just better than Allen but not by the same margin as the other 3. Allen is a guard playing up to forward because KBD, Yuta, Little, and Metu has largely stunk.

We may not be contenders with Cam but we wouldn't be 500 in danger of falling below next game at this point in the season. We could focus more on our backcourt and ball handling issues as well rim protection.

Last edited:

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
True. I still notice no one is addressing what I am saying. Adding Cam and Bridges to this team now is unlikely to solve our problems we are having now.

The Suns would have had all their first round picks and expiring contracts to improve the team.

It wouldn't have been just Mikal Bridges and Cam Johnson.

Last edited:

GatorAZ

feed hopkins
Reaction score
Cam J would’ve made a difference vs Denver. In that series Craig, Okogie, Warren and Ross combined to go 9-50 from 3. This year probably not as much.

Yuma

Suns are my Kryptonite!
Reaction score
The Suns would have had all their first round picks and expiring contracts to improve the team.

It wouldn't have been just Mikal Bridges and Cam Johnson.
No. That's not what I said. I said we did the KD deal. The same applies. I am just letting you guys magically add Cam J, Bridges, or Both. Being really generous. The KD trade stands.

I am saying we are playing so bad, and everyone is saying we should have at least kept Cam J. I am saying Cam J would not make us a top team. Not that we win a game or two more. If you guys are that convinced Cam J would have made a difference, then we should be one of the top teams in the NBA right now.

I don't think that's true.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
No. That's not what I said. I said we did the KD deal. The same applies. I am just letting you guys magically add Cam J, Bridges, or Both. Being really generous. The KD trade stands.

I am saying we are playing so bad, and everyone is saying we should have at least kept Cam J. I am saying Cam J would not make us a top team. Not that we win a game or two more. If you guys are that convinced Cam J would have made a difference, then we should be one of the top teams in the NBA right now.

I don't think that's true.

I'm not sure if you understand that no one I know was against adding Durant.

It was the assets the Suns had to include to get the trade done. The Suns gave up too much.

The Suns would be a much better team if they could magically add Bridges and Cam Johnson to this squad.

Yuma

Suns are my Kryptonite!
Reaction score
I'm not sure if you understand that no one I know was against adding Durant.

It was the assets the Suns had to include to get the trade done. The Suns gave up too much.

The Suns would be a much better team if they could magically add Bridges and Cam Johnson to this squad.
You can't have one without the other. It's crazy. People here ignore history. The trade was what it was. My dad would tell me, "Grow up!" LOL! :)

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
You can't have one without the other. It's crazy. People here ignore history. The trade was what it was. My dad would tell me, "Grow up!" LOL! :)

You are the one who proposed this, not me. See your comments below.

"I am just letting you guys magically add Cam J, Bridges, or Both. Being really generous. The KD trade stands."

All I can say, that must be some pretty good egg nog.

Merry Christmas and Happy Holidays, Yuma.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yeah, you're playing a little fast and loose here. You make your point and then seem to judge us for countering (even with the smiley face).

You are correct, we can't change the past. But we can't change the present either and you seem fine with those discussion so why do you keep calling us out on this? It seems to run counter with the way you normally post.

I hated the trade, I still despise it like no move any team I follow has ever made. Why in the world, how in the world, would anyone expect me and others that are likeminded on this issue to just let it go? The results of that decision stare us in the face every time our team takes the court and it's quite likely to get worse, MUCH WORSE, over the next several years.

I'm fine with you and others supporting that trade and posting about it even though it's history but you have to expect the other side to be just as vocal or even moreso when the team is looking this hapless.

Last edited:

Covert Rain

Father smelt of elderberries!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I don't see anyway we'd be worse with Bridges and Cam... the defense and chemistry bump alone would probably make us better... and we'd have all our picks to work with and the #21 pick from last year.

I can understand supporting the trade at the time, but I don't see how anyone can look at it right now and think it was the right move.
I do. We regressed since the finals with those guys and the Bridges you are seeing isn’t the Bridges you were going to see here. Plus if you were intent on not moving Bridges/Cam that means your only significant trading piece would be Ayton. The same people complaining about moving Bridges/Cam are the same people claiming Ayton has little value. Which means we likely are still stuck with Ayton, his contract and a thin bench. Neither scenario IMO seems to be favorable.

Last edited:

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
For the record, we were 19-14 headed into our Christmas day matchup with Denver last year. We lost, leaving us 19-15. We played more games earlier but were just as riddled with injuries. We were 16-12 after 28th games, which is what we've played now. We also won the 29th, so 17-12. That was with Cam J, Mikal, Ayton, and Monty here.

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
So, 7 "very good" days is all you willing to wish him? Tough crowd.;)

Happy Holidays all, and hope everyone enjoys good health and contentment for all the rest of your days. And maybe the nights too.

I'm not sure how I'll feel about him in 2024. He's good in my book until then. I'll reevaluate on the 1st. Maybe my New Year's resolution will be not to associate with Yumites. I haven't decided yet.

:santa:

What are folks from @Yuma called, is there a sort of term? Yumanians, Yumoans, Yumericans, Yumadians, Yumish? I have the feeling it will be something obvious now that I've suggested a bunch of dumb names.

Phrazbit

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
For the record, we were 19-14 headed into our Christmas day matchup with Denver last year. We lost, leaving us 19-15. We played more games earlier but were just as riddled with injuries. We were 16-12 after 28th games, which is what we've played now. We also won the 29th, so 17-12. That was with Cam J, Mikal, Ayton, and Monty here.

We've also played they easiest schedule in the league so far this season, we are something like 2-11 against teams with a winning record.
I do. We regressed since the finals with those guys and the Bridges you are seeing isn’t the Bridges you were going to see here. Plus if you were intent on not moving Bridges/Cam that means your only significant trading piece would be Ayton. The same people complaining about moving Bridges/Cam are the same people claiming Ayton has little value. Which means we likely are still stuck with Ayton, his contract and a thin bench. Neither scenario IMO seems to be favorable.

The regression since the trade seems far more severe.

Prior to the trade we were a playoff team with a relatively young core and a lot of flexibility to try and build upon that.

Right now we are a below average team, an old team, with an empty cupboard.

We're worse off in every way.

Covert Rain

Father smelt of elderberries!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
We've also played they easiest schedule in the league so far this season, we are something like 2-11 against teams with a winning record.

The regression since the trade seems far more severe.

Prior to the trade we were a playoff team with a relatively young core and a lot of flexibility to try and build upon that.

Right now we are a below average team, an old team, with an empty cupboard.

We're worse off in every way.
The biggest difference is we have yet to see how this team plays as built (healthy). We did see those teams play as built.

taz02

All Star
Reaction score
We don’t have enough talent for a championship now and we didn’t with Bridges and Cam. Now we are in the same boat just without assets. Their record will improve with Beal healthy but I doubt he'll turn this group into a contender

You do have to wonder what the market for Durant will be if he finishes the season healthy and with the numbers he currently has. Might be worth more than we think in the right situation.

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
The biggest difference is we have yet to see how this team plays as built (healthy). We did see those teams play as built.

We saw 2 playoff runs. 1 we went to the finals and came up short against a generational talent. 2 we struggled with injuries early to get out of the 1st round, Booker missed most of that series, and in the 2nd round we looked great until it fell apart. Rumors said there was a Covid outbreak that decimated the roster. Either way, we didn't see nearly enough to blow it up and trade away 50% of our rotation and all of our tradable draft capital for the next decade for a guy who is injury prone, 35 years old, and has never led a team to a title on his own.

Say what you want about KD being a champion and the best player on the Warriors when they won but they won a title and then lost in game 7 of the finals after winning an NBA record 73 games during the regular season in the 2 years before he arrived. They only needed to let the starter whose role he'd take walk in free agency to add him. They didn't trade away anyone or any picks to add him and he was in his late 20's and had 2 good, never ruptured, Achilles.

BTW, Merry Christmas sir. Hope you have a good day tomorrow/today.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
Kawhi won a title in Toronto. You wouldn't rent a player for a year for a title?

Not sure why you mention Chris Paul since I was talking about Paul George, who signed an extension in OKC.
I would because I’m a championship starved suns fan. I doubt many teams would.

And I said “Paul.” PAUL George. I wasn’t talking about Chris Paul.

Phrazbit

ASFN Icon
Reaction score

OKC got Paul George for Oladipo, who had not broken out but also had not broken down yet, and Sabonis, no picks involved, and Sabonis at the time was averaging 6 points and 3 boards in 20 minutes a game.

Two years later they flipped George for Shai, Galinarri and FIVE first round picks and 2 pick swaps.

I doubt they regret that trade.

If Durant was in his 20s, a player who would maintain premium value for the length of his contract, it would be a different story. Instead he is, by a wide margin, the oldest player ever exchanged for such a haul.

Raindog

I didn't come here to be liked!
Reaction score
I'm not sure how I'll feel about him in 2024. He's good in my book until then. I'll reevaluate on the 1st. Maybe my New Year's resolution will be not to associate with Yumites. I haven't decided yet.

:santa:

What are folks from @Yuma called, is there a sort of term? Yumanians, Yumoans, Yumericans, Yumadians, Yumish? I have the feeling it will be something obvious now that I've suggested a bunch of dumb names.
I believe the correct term is "Yumes." I seem to recall watching a movie once (the name escapes me) where two young men who were apparently from Yuma were on trial in a small town, and their lawyer kept referring to them as the "two Yumes." So being Hollywood, I assume they know what they're talking about.

Or it's possible I just dreamed it all.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I believe the correct term is "Yumes." I seem to recall watching a movie once (the name escapes me) where two young men who were apparently from Yuma were on trial in a small town, and their lawyer kept referring to them as the "two Yumes." So being Hollywood, I assume they know what they're talking about.

Or it's possible I just dreamed it all.
You sure they weren't calling the two young men "yewts"?

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Reaction score

So you mentioned someone who signed an extension and was willing to stay before he was traded for a boatload of assets? You said 1 year also and he was there 2 full season, which is I why I thought you meant CP3, and didn't request a trade.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Beagleperson