Suns Are Markedly Better Than in the Playoffs

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
It wasn't just about last night, Biyombo has played slightly less than 26 minutes over the last 9 games.
Our three bigs aren’t diverse enough in their skill sets to play concurrently so that means only 48 minutes per night to divide between them. And Ayton and mcgee are clearly better than biyombo so that means he gets scraps or run when one of the first two have injury/foul trouble. I see no issue with it.

Covert Rain

Father smelt of elderberries!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Our three bigs aren’t diverse enough in their skill sets to play concurrently so that means only 48 minutes per night to divide between them. And Ayton and mcgee are clearly better than biyombo so that means he gets scraps or run when one of the first two have injury/foul trouble. I see no issue with it.
That's a good point but I take issue with it when both are off for stretches which seems to happen from time to time. Also, like Paul? McGee seems like he would benefit from some rest. The entire warmup the other night I watched him and the trainers stretching him out for most of it. That happened at the last two games I was at too. Giving him a rest so he is good for the playoffs seem prudent.

Phrazbit

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
That's a good point but I take issue with it when both are off for stretches which seems to happen from time to time. Also, like Paul? McGee seems like he would benefit from some rest. The entire warmup the other night I watched him and the trainers stretching him out for most of it. That happened at the last two games I was at too. Giving him a rest so he is good for the playoffs seem prudent.

I was at the season opener, same routine. It is just something he does.

Chris_Sanders

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
His improvement on the other end can't be stated enough. During the Clippers game he got burned a couple times and was visibly upset during the commercial break. So much so that it looked like Bridges and Paul were talking him down. He went out after that got a steal, deflection and fought for a defensive rebound. He wants to get better there. Not sure I could say that when he entered the league.

Yes he is a good defensive player now and I never thought I would say that

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score

this is a good point about McGee and keeping him fresh. Wouldn't mind a couple DNPs-Coach's Decision and allow Biz to bang for a game here or there with an eye on the playoffs.

Covert Rain

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I was at the season opener, same routine. It is just something he does.
I believe it's related to an old injury. I heard them talking about in Suns pre-game. I didn't hear what injury they were talking about only that it tightens up on him and that's why they do it.

Last edited:

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I just had the most awful thought/realization.

Are we about to get the all time double-f’ed in Phoenix sports history, watching what we believe to be an All-Time Suns team favored to win the title completely collapse because of injuries right after we watched what we believed to be an All-Time great Cardinals team that we thought could win the Super Bowl do the exact same thing?

Phrazbit

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I just had the most awful thought/realization.

Are we about to get the all time double-f’ed in Phoenix sports history, watching what we believe to be an All-Time Suns team favored to win the title completely collapse because of injuries right after we watched what we believed to be an All-Time great Cardinals team that we thought could win the Super Bowl do the exact same thing?

DONT YOU PUT THAT EVIL ON ME RICKY BOBBY!

Also, this Suns team has more heart and soul than that Cardinals team by a thousand miles. Monty Williams has more leadership in his glasses than the entire Cardinals coaching staff.

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score

Also, this Suns team has more heart and soul than that Cardinals team by a thousand miles. Monty Williams has more leadership in his glasses than the entire Cardinals coaching staff.
And James Jones is most definitely NOT Steve Keim, that's for damn sure.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score

I agree, but if Paul is done, so are our chances at a title.

And people forget this, but after previously atrocious backup QB Colt McCoy miraculously led victories in 2 of 3 games and had us with the best record in the NFL at 10-2, everyone was raving about the mental toughness of the Cardinals too. The Suns are OBVIOUSLY in a different league in every way, but that would only make a fall from grace even more painful.

Covert Rain

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I agree, but if Paul is done, so are our chances at a title.

And people forget this, but after previously atrocious backup QB Colt McCoy miraculously led victories in 2 of 3 games and had us with the best record in the NFL at 10-2, everyone was raving about the mental toughness of the Cardinals too. The Suns are OBVIOUSLY in a different league in every way, but that would only make a fall from grace even more painful.
Worst case scenario he might be done for the season but back for the playoffs. Assuming that it's even that bad. After seeing him with a brace I am nervous but hopeful. You would think if it was that serious, he would be under the knife already to ensure his return for the playoffs. Maybe I am just talking myself into believing the best case scenarios before I am smited by the Basketball Gods.....AGAIN.

OP
OP
L
Reaction score
One thing seems clear: the current lineup with Book as the point guard is not working. Holliday was a terrific pickup, but needs work. Payton was just getting his confidence when benched for Cam Johnson. Those two need to be in at point and work through it.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
One thing seems clear: the current lineup with Book as the point guard is not working. Holliday was a terrific pickup, but needs work. Payton was just getting his confidence when benched for Cam Johnson. Those two need to be in at point and work through it.
First off, he's not Chris Paul. But more importantly, there is no true shooting guard playing next to him so it's always going to be a huge drop from the pairing of two premier guards that we've become accustomed to. And I'm not sure that Payton is the answer. We need Payne back at full speed and then we need to accept that without CP3 we are not going to win at an 80% plus clip.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score

We agree Booker at point guard is not working and Holiday was a great acquisition.

I've been very open about Elfrid Payton. I thought he was a good pickup in free agency this past summer. However, I think my memories were of of the Payton I saw play for the Suns in the 2017-18 season. It didn't work out but I saw the potential. This time around I was hoping for a more steady version.

I was expecting Payne and Payton would be able to rest Chris Paul but it hasn't worked out that way. Maybe if Paul didn't get injured I could live with Payton being the fourth point guard but the Suns need him to play. Actually I have a lot more confidence in Holiday and he just arrived.

With the injury situation at point guard the Suns need a player they can trust to run the team, make free throws and shoot the ball well enough to keep defenses honest.