Rams @ Cardinals postgame thread

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
So much harder to imagine winning the superbowl after this game.

But we're not dead yet BritCard.

Let's be honest. How many of us REALLY thought we could win the super bowl?

I didn't. Not really. I mean, sure, it's possible with a prevailing wind and a bit of luck. Maybe if we get the right match ups, because football is really a game of match ups, and the #1 seed we scrape through to the Superbowl.

But underneath the bluster did I think we were as good as the Packers or Bucs? No. Did I think we might beat the Chiefs or Patriots in the Superbowl? No. Not realistically.

It's been a good season. Winning is definitely better than losing and we will get some post season football. There's a lot to like about this team but we are not there yet.

It's not necessarily personnel that we need. It's mental toughness to deal with the big game situations.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score

I didn't. Not really. I mean, sure, it's possible with a prevailing wind and a bit of luck. Maybe if we get the right match ups, because football is really a game of match ups, and the #1 seed we scrape through to the Superbowl.

But underneath the bluster did I think we were as good as the Packers or Bucs? No. Did I think we might beat the Chiefs or Patriots in the Superbowl? No. Not realistically.

It's been a good season. Winning is definitely better than losing and we will get some post season football. There's a lot to like about this team but we are not there yet.

It's not necessarily personnel that we need. It's mental toughness to deal with the big game situations.
Agreed.

SoonerLou

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
It would’ve been close. The LB was in place to make the play though with less reaction time he may have only tipped it instead of intercepting it. That said, if he took his eyes off it for a second it’s likely a TD. Would’ve been bang-bang type of play.
Jones is certainly faster than the guy they use to have playing there before. Him and Von Miller made a difference. However, I still think its a TD based on how the tipped pass still forced him to reach up to get it. Kyler's passes gets up on wrs quickly. Most of his tipped passes come at the LOS so Im not sure he gets a hand on it.

If there's a lesson from that play dont try it if Max Garcia is single blocking Donald. Just take your chances with Hop on the outside.

Crimson Warrior

Dangerous Murray Zealot
Reaction score

Disagree. Prior to last night, I felt like we could beat anybody, mainly because our defense was playing so well.

But last night was the first game where it looked like we might be out-talented. Our turnover luck ran out, while Stafford and Rams obliterated us through the air. That wasn't supposed to happen against this version of the ARZ pass-rush and secondary.

And then Donald and the Ram DL completely, completely shut down Conner, and had Murray running for his life all night.

Some of that might have been emotion, even desperation on the Rams part. In the NFL, where parity is king, emotion plays a significant role in these games.

But last night was the first loss this year where I was pretty sure that ARZ was not the better team, at least for the three + hours in question.

But I'll say it again, you don't win 10 out of 13 in the NFL without being very-good to great. We still have a chance.

Last edited:

SoonerLou

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
The third to last drive where we stalled out at the 50 Kliff should have kicked. 100% mistake. The rest was preference and I thought Kliff had a pretty good game actually.
Yea I cant find too much fault with Kliff for this game. Had more issues with the Packers game although he was dealing with no Hopkins. So that probably threw the game plan off. That was one where I wish he would have tried to establish the run more.

The one thing Kliff has to stop doing though is letting teams bleed the clock before the end of the half. Happened in the Packers game and happened yesterday. You've got quick strike offense. Be aggressive using your timeouts. We got 3 points, but its not out impossible to say we'd got a td with 1:20 and a timeout remaining.

Other than that players didnt execute well enough and the Oline simply wasnt good enough.

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Do I think we're the favorite no, do I expect to win this year no. Do I think we CAN this year, yes, we have the talent. I think what it would take is getting healthy at the right time, both Conner and Edmonds, the OL, and in particular JJ Watt being back and being at least 80% of what he was pre injury. I think losing Watt has taken a big "edge" off our defense we're just not as tough without him IMO. It's both the plays he made and the doubles he drew, and just the confidence he gave the rest of the defense.

I was discussing with friends this morning I think if we keep the nucleus together we WILL win a SB with Kyler Murray. I don't expect it this year, next year is definitely possible. I've heard people say we need to get hot like the Warner year we got to the SB I don't necessarily agree with that. We have more talent on this team than that one did IMO, that one was just more experienced at key spots we had a great QB who'd seen it all, 2 great WR's an experienced RB and talent and experience on defense.

Hopefully last night and the GB game will help Kyler make that jump but my guess is that jump will take past this year hopefully next.

But if we get the right guys healthy I think we go into the playoffs with as good a team as anybody else. The difference is we don't have a Tom Brady or Aaron Rodgers level QB right now, they've just experienced so much more than Kyler has.

Even after last night if you told me the SB winner this year comes from our division I say it's us not the Rams. They have better stars, we have better overall team IMO

But last night they kicked our butts

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score
Yea I cant find too much fault with Kliff for this game. Had more issues with the Packers game although he was dealing with no Hopkins. So that probably threw the game plan off. That was one where I wish he would have tried to establish the run more.

The one thing Kliff has to stop doing though is letting teams bleed the clock before the end of the half. Happened in the Packers game and happened yesterday. You've got quick strike offense. Be aggressive using your timeouts. We got 3 points, but its not out impossible to say we'd got a td with 1:20 and a timeout remaining.

Other than that players didnt execute well enough and the Oline simply wasnt good enough.
With Pugh out we were always going to struggle in this game. Harlow and Garcia are backups and even doubling Donald leaves someone in a one on one matchup that they won't win 100% of the time.

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score
Do I think we're the favorite no, do I expect to win this year no. Do I think we CAN this year, yes, we have the talent. I think what it would take is getting healthy at the right time, both Conner and Edmonds, the OL, and in particular JJ Watt being back and being at least 80% of what he was pre injury. I think losing Watt has taken a big "edge" off our defense we're just not as tough without him IMO. It's both the plays he made and the doubles he drew, and just the confidence he gave the rest of the defense.

I was discussing with friends this morning I think if we keep the nucleus together we WILL win a SB with Kyler Murray. I don't expect it this year, next year is definitely possible. I've heard people say we need to get hot like the Warner year we got to the SB I don't necessarily agree with that. We have more talent on this team than that one did IMO, that one was just more experienced at key spots we had a great QB who'd seen it all, 2 great WR's an experienced RB and talent and experience on defense.

Hopefully last night and the GB game will help Kyler make that jump but my guess is that jump will take past this year hopefully next.

But if we get the right guys healthy I think we go into the playoffs with as good a team as anybody else. The difference is we don't have a Tom Brady or Aaron Rodgers level QB right now, they've just experienced so much more than Kyler has.

Even after last night if you told me the SB winner this year comes from our division I say it's us not the Rams. They have better stars, we have better overall team IMO

Watt let Vance play his safe style and still get pressure because he could win one-on-one. Without Watt, we don't have that and Vance prefers to die by paper cuts.

JosiahLee

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
If you'd ask me before the season, I might've taken a 1-and-done playoff appearance. Now, 1-and-done is going to SUCK. And that's exactly who we are, a team who's not ready and is going to get bounced in the first game. Hell, I have doubts we can even win the division at this point.

They have a month to figure it out. Obviously they are not quite there yet, but to say they won’t even win a playoff game is premature to me.

All that really matters is that they are playing their best football in January. There is still time to get it right.

Stout

Hold onto the ball, Murray!
Reaction score
They have a month to figure it out. Obviously they are not quite there yet, but to say they won’t even win a playoff game is premature to me.

All that really matters is that they are playing their best football in January. There is still time to get it right.

There is, though the signs aren't good. Heck, there's still time to get hot and go on a SB run. The vibe I'm getting right now is that you can't call them d@@p throat because they choke on the big one. I'm getting a 1-and-done vibe, which is at least a playoff appearance. I'm hoping to be wrong.

Canuckfan

Reaction score
We learned what many of us suspected. Kyler Murray is a terrible QB. His size is his biggest problem. The Cardinals will not be in the Super Bowl.

JosiahLee

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
There is, though the signs aren't good. Heck, there's still time to get hot and go on a SB run. The vibe I'm getting right now is that you can't call them d@@p throat because they choke on the big one. I'm getting a 1-and-done vibe, which is at least a playoff appearance. I'm hoping to be wrong.
To me so much of it is luck. Are they healthy come January? Did they draw the right matchup? Tampa got to play WA with Heinicke in Rd 1 last year.

Everyone thought the Rams were dead and now they are suddenly a dark horse. The NFL is a week-to-week proposition.

They’ve got some big time playoff-like games still on the schedule (Dallas & Indy) in which I think they can still draw a ton of experience from before having to actually play in a real playoff game.

And I think there could be truth to the fact that Kyler is still rusty from his time off. Again, I’m not claiming they are going to the Super Bowl as of today, but I think they are still capable.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Would you really want to call your football team... D@@p Throat?

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score

Football is a funny game. We were obviously deficient in many areas and the the worst team on the field.

At the same time, we were 2 plays away from a comfortable win. 3 even more so.

Obviously the two interceptions are a 14 point swing. We score the first and don't concede the 2nd it's a very different game. But add in the early AJ Green one too. Green is wide open at the EZ. I'm not sure who's fault (looked Kyler to me) but either way that was another easy 7 missed.

It could, very easily, have been a 34-21 win. But we were not good.

Crimson Warrior

Dangerous Murray Zealot
Reaction score
To me so much of it is luck. Are they healthy come January? Did they draw the right matchup? Tampa got to play WA with Heinicke in Rd 1 last year.

Everyone thought the Rams were dead and now they are suddenly a dark horse. The NFL is a week-to-week proposition.

They’ve got some big time playoff-like games still on the schedule (Dallas & Indy) in which I think they can still draw a ton of experience from before having to actually play in a real playoff game.

And I think there could be truth to the fact that Kyler is still rusty from his time off. Again, I’m not claiming they are going to the Super Bowl as of today, but I think they are still capable.

You're right on point JosiahLee. Last night was disappointing, but not 2021 season-defining. What matters now is how they respond, and like you said, how well we're playing in Jan.

Too much parity in the NFL to overreact to one loss against a pretty good team.

UncleChris

Shocking, I tell you!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Matt Stafford is now 1-17 in games vs. teams five game or more over .500

fml.
What does that stat even mean? Stafford played played 12 seasons with the Lions, for crying out loud. He had a team around him that might have been 6-6 in Division III for the whole 12 years.

Like him or not, Stafford is 3rd in QBR right now and first in RAW. And he's an old fart, too.

Crimson Warrior

Dangerous Murray Zealot
Reaction score
What does that stat even mean? Stafford played played 12 seasons with the Lions, for crying out loud. He had a team around him that might have been 6-6 in Division III for the whole 12 years.

Like him or not, Stafford is 3rd in QBR right now and first in RAW. And he's an old fart, too.

I hear what you're saying, but there was something there man. Something behind that stat.

But he proved the world wrong, and now that monkey is off his back. Maybe the world should now fear an unshackled Matt Stafford.