Rams @ Cardinals postgame thread

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Football is a funny game. We were obviously deficient in many areas and the the worst team on the field.

At the same time, we were 2 plays away from a comfortable win. 3 even more so.

Obviously the two interceptions are a 14 point swing. We score the first and don't concede the 2nd it's a very different game. But add in the early AJ Green one too. Green is wide open at the EZ. I'm not sure who's fault (looked Kyler to me) but either way that was another easy 7 missed.

It could, very easily, have been a 34-21 win. But we were not good.

Yeah that's sort of my point, as poorly as we played just a few plays that we can make, and we win, by double digits.

The first game there were a couple of bad Rams plays that helped us but it was basically they could not stop us.

They put up 30 on us but helped greatly by our turnovers and us going and not getting it on 4th down a few times.

as poorly as we played we could have easily won, because I think right now we're a better team than them. now them at full strength maybe not, OBJ looked a lot closer to 100% last night than he has in awhile, obviously Ramsey is a great player. Donald is awesome etc.

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
Yeah that's sort of my point, as poorly as we played just a few plays that we can make, and we win, by double digits.

The first game there were a couple of bad Rams plays that helped us but it was basically they could not stop us.

They put up 30 on us but helped greatly by our turnovers and us going and not getting it on 4th down a few times.

as poorly as we played we could have easily won, because I think right now we're a better team than them. now them at full strength maybe not, OBJ looked a lot closer to 100% last night than he has in awhile, obviously Ramsey is a great player. Donald is awesome etc.

You must be registered for see images attach

The problem with Kyler (and Kliff, to an extent) is that he's SO DEPENDENT on the game script. He's a total front-runner where if you go up 10 points on the opponent he's going to slam the door on them and it's basically over. These dogfights or games where he goes down two scores... he doesn't know what to do.

You have to hope it comes with more experience. There's no other way it's going to arrive. His nifty move at the end of the first half was amazing though.

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score

The problem with Kyler (and Kliff, to an extent) is that he's SO DEPENDENT on the game script. He's a total front-runner where if you go up 10 points on the opponent he's going to slam the door on them and it's basically over. These dogfights or games where he goes down two scores... he doesn't know what to do.

You have to hope it comes with more experience. There's no other way it's going to arrive. His nifty move at the end of the first half was amazing though.

Sure nice graphic the point is he's made those throws before, especially this year. He just didn't last night and I think it was because again Aaron Donald is a freak of nature(and chemistry) and he just destroyed the inside OL to where Kyler never got comfortable and so he made some bad throws.

It's not a case of if he made plays that he's never made before, it's a case of making plays he's been making consistently this year.

I don't know if he'll get to that point this year not but remember in year 3 Aaron Rodgers wasn't even playing, he threw 59 passes in his first 3 years total. He got to watch a HOF QB, and learn in practice with the coaches. His first year 63% 28 TD 13 picks, that's about where Kyler is with a lower % and less running. Brady is just the GOAT, sat behind Bledsoe got in and was good right away.

I am concerned that Kyler fell apart a bit on that last drive but I also see it from his POV. First play he makes a great run, Donald suckers the ref into calling a hold and it's a 25 yard flip. Next play Beachum jumps, I can see being flustered when that stuff is happening and is largely out of his control. The last play totally his fault he has to spike that. The throw to Green he missed I think the pressure rushed it, bad throw. first INT great play by Donald, has to be more careful. 2nd INT totally his fault I'm not sure the ball even gets to Ertz if the DE doesn't get it.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
Let's be honest. How many of us REALLY thought we could win the super bowl?

I didn't. Not really. I mean, sure, it's possible with a prevailing wind and a bit of luck. Maybe if we get the right match ups, because football is really a game of match ups, and the #1 seed we scrape through to the Superbowl.

But underneath the bluster did I think we were as good as the Packers or Bucs? No. Did I think we might beat the Chiefs or Patriots in the Superbowl? No. Not realistically.

It's been a good season. Winning is definitely better than losing and we will get some post season football. There's a lot to like about this team but we are not there yet.

It's not necessarily personnel that we need. It's mental toughness to deal with the big game situations.
Wow you really are a darksider when the bullets start flying.

I thought this team could win the super bowl. They had the luck/experiences that super bowl teams do. Fast undefeated start, winning a game away without head coach against preseason playoff darling, winning 2 of 3 with backup QB, almost pulling off a win against a top contender that you had no business winning. Those are the types of things super bowl teams experience on their March.

And you would make us a dog to a patriots team with a rookie QB? Wow.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
With Pugh out we were always going to struggle in this game. Harlow and Garcia are backups and even doubling Donald leaves someone in a one on one matchup that they won't win 100% of the time.
Keep Conner in to block or bring a TE into backfield to help block. We have enough other playmakers against backup corners that someone would’ve been open with more time.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I hear what you're saying, but there was something there man. Something behind that stat.

But he proved the world wrong, and now that monkey is off his back. Maybe the world should now fear an unshackled Matt Stafford.

this is like when people see a backup QB or rookie go nuts against the Cardinals and immediately pronounce them someone to be reckoned with... who then is never heard from again.

Stafford sucks under pressure. We put him under none. Other teams won't and haven't been that stupid nor will they be moving forward.

SoonerLou

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
I wasn't talking about running left, I thought he was gonna run to the right? Even though there was a defender on the right I thought he could've beat him to the marker. The defender on the right hesitated for a split second while he was handing the ball off leaving him flat footed. Keep the ball & beat him to the marker.
Gonna post again. Did you not see Von Miller sitting? He's not even crashing down. He's got leverage, the angle and Rapp blew by Ertz. Von Miller is way too wide for Kyler to keep that ball. If anything it shows you how bad the push was for him to stil get in on the Conner tackle.

Hopkins drop, Conner stuffed (maybe we should have kicked?), 2nd to last drive was battling clock vs. ensuring points. Thats a tough deal with a minute to go.

Im also pretty sure the 49ers game was a dogfight and closed the game with a TD to Hopkins. I guess its Takes Tuesday.

Cardsfaninlouky

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Gonna post again. Did you not see Von Miller sitting? He's not even crashing down. He's got leverage, the angle and Rapp blew by Ertz. Von Miller is way too wide for Kyler to keep that ball. If anything it shows you how bad the push was for him to stil get in on the Conner tackle.

Hopkins drop, Conner stuffed (maybe we should have kicked?), 2nd to last drive was battling clock vs. ensuring points. Thats a tough deal with a minute to go.
Still gotta disagree with you there though. I see what you're saying but he doesn't have the speed he once had. He crashed down yes & i think that's him on the right hand side? When he got to the peak of his "crash down" if you will, he was now flat footed & Kyler could've beat him to the marker imo.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Im also pretty sure the 49ers game was a dogfight and closed the game with a TD to Hopkins. I guess its Takes Tuesday.

that was against a woeful Trey Lance Niners team. patting yourself on the back for being in a dogfight against that dog of a team at that point doesn't do much to advance your point. just points to again, how poorly we play at home.

SoonerLou

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
that was against a woeful Trey Lance Niners team. patting yourself on the back for being in a dogfight against that dog of a team at that point doesn't do much to advance your point. just points to again, how poorly we play at home.
Doesnt matter. It was a dogfight game. Thus/an ugly game where things arent pretty. Cant apologize for wins.

SoonerLou

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Still gotta disagree with you there though. I see what you're saying but he doesn't have the speed he once had. He crashed down yes & i think that's him on the right hand side? When he got to the peak of his "crash down" if you will, he was now flat footed & Kyler could've beat him to the marker imo.
Major agree to disagree. You're asking Kyler to get hurt again based on that angle. You almost never see players keep the ball with a defender that wide.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Doesnt matter. It was a dogfight game. Thus/an ugly game where things arent pretty. Cant apologize for wins.

who said anything about apologizing? I'm just not pumping my chest about struggling to beat the dregs of the league and I don't know why anyone else would either.

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score

This x 1000

SoonerLou

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
This x 1000
If people want to say not play well enough fine. However we literally almost scored 3 straight TDs when going against the Packers.

We probably tie the game up if not for a Hopkins drop.

Irony is Cards fans will surely will be the biggest front runners on this forum if we win out. lol

Last edited:

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
If people want to say not play well enough fine. However we literally almost scored 3 straight TDs when going against the Packers.

We probably tie the game up if not for a Hopkins drop.

Irony is Cards fans will surely will be the biggest front runners on this forum if we win out. lol
Cards fans will surely be the biggest front runners? Dude... We’ve been here for DECADES. You’re a Kyler fanboy who is living in fantasy land of “maybes” and “almosts”. Take that front runner comment and shove it where the sun don’t shine.

SoonerLou

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Cards fans will surely be the biggest front runners? Dude... We’ve been here for DECADES. You’re a Kyler fanboy who is living in fantasy land of “maybes” and “almosts”. Take that front runner comment and shove it where the sun don’t shine.
And I've been a Cards fan since 98 and from parents who were fans of the the team since they were in Saint Louis. So please save the BS for someone else. Cause Im not the one.

I saw way too many people crapping on the Cowboys, Rams, etc before the game and now after a loss the sky is falling. That is being a front runner. Toughen up and tighten up like I think the team will.

I feel no worse after this loss.

SoonerLou

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Last reply on the "Kyler doesnt know what to do down 10"

Didnt we come back from down 10 against the Seahawks last year? Didnt we come back down 10+ against the Bills to win? Those were playoff teams as well.

This year we had a couple bad breaks and didnt close.

I still feel good about this team being able to comeback because we're that explosive.

Again I get saying he should play better, but that take was extreme.

oaken1

Stone Cold
Supporting Member
Banned from P+R
Reaction score
At home:

- Barely escaped a sub-par Minnesota team only cause the kicker missed a chip-shot.
- Barely beat a 49er team where a really raw rookie made his 1st NFL start. Also missing George Kittle.
- Struggle hard for a little bit over a half against a horrific Houston team.
- Lose against an extremely short handed Green-Bay team.
- Get clobbered against a Carolina team who pretty much has NO offense.
- Lose against a really under-handed LA team.

On the road:

- Clobbered a fully healthy Tennessee team.
- Clobbered a fully healthy LA team.
- Clobbered a Cleveland team that has a great defense & arguable DPOY.
- Clobbered a healthy 49er team with a backup QB & non-WR1.
- Pretty much dominated a divisional rival in Seattle with Russell Wilson. Backup QB & non-WR1 again.
———All wins by 10+ points———

“Let’s hope for homefield advantage” lol okay. Sure.

Watch we lose to Indy at home in another primetime game, but dominate Dallas on the road.

Much more comfortable going to Lambeau or Tampa Bay than wanting those teams to come here.
yeah...its hard to stomach when people want to be able to thump their chests about having a #1 seed..... when every piece of evidence CLEARLY shows we are a far superior team when playing on the road.

some folks around here want...... NO cardinals football in week one of the playoffs,...followed by us getting our ass kicked at home by a good team....then they get to spend all off season bitching online about us being one and done in the playoffs and how bad our coaching is...

when the alternative is........ get a lower seed.... get to watch Cardinals football in week one of the playoffs.... likely win because we have a very talented team.... followed by,...get to watch Cardinals football in week 2 of the playoffs, again likely win because we have a very talented team... that plays GREAT on the road....then.... get to see the Redbirds in the NFC Championship game.... yeehaw.... and actually have a chance to go to the super bowl...

but nah..... these guys want to brag about the first seed...be elated by a perceived home field advantage that stats show is just not real.... not just for us, but for anybody.... get a first round bye,...when our team is overall healthy,....and has lost every game coming out of a bye sans 1 over the past few years....

Crimson Warrior

Dangerous Murray Zealot
Reaction score
Kyler does know what to do down 10. He goes into hero mode. We were down like 14, with a a 3rd and 12 or something? And then he gets flushed from the pocket (again) and makes the miracle pass to AJ Green running 18 mph for 23 yards and first? It was some kind of record, but that's an example. He's got another gear. Doesn't always work in the NFL, but he turns it up to 115% when he's getting his ass kicked.

It's actually pretty cool. I noticed it during his OU days too, and was one of the reasons I thought he was worth drafting at #1. It's fun to watch.