Quarterbacks

slanidrac16

ASFN Icon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I don’t get to watch a lot of college football. Most of what I know I gather from here.
I want to pose a hypothetical question.
Let’s say MO decides Kyler is not our guy. We can’t work out a trade to get Williams or Maye and maybe we don’t want to.
We can’t head into the season with Tune as our starting qb, we just can’t.

Is there another Qb in this draft that would be worthy of the 3rd pick? Or could we take MHJ with the #3 pick and use the Houston pick for a QB? If so, who?

I hate the thought of building the team around Kyler only to find out we need to get a Qb in 2025 especially not knowing where we would be selecting.

Stout

Hold onto the ball, Murray!
Reaction score
I definitely get where you're coming from about not building the team for Kyler/around Kyler if he's not the long-term answer. Have you considered a veteran replacement rather than going the draft route?

Goodyear Card

Link Guy
Reaction score
Murry has one more year to get his poo together. Next year will be his sixth year. If he can't fix his throwing motion and foot work next year his most likely won't. He needs to throw receivers open instead of waiting for them to get open and then throwing the ball. He needs to improve reading defenses and finding the open receiver. This requires more preparation during the week. He signed a $270M contract. He needs to play at a elite level. If he doesn't take a large step forward next year he needs to cut. It will very painful financial, but a necessary step.

DVontel

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I hate the thought of building the team around Kyler only to find out we need to get a Qb in 2025 especially not knowing where we would be selecting.
This is exactly what the FO should be doing.

It doesn’t exactly mean building the QB around the Kyler, but more so building a better roster for the next QB to come in especially compared to the ones Kyler & Rosen walked into.

Build the kitchen before you bring the kitchen supplies in. Drafting Maye or Caleb would be doing the exact opposite and then this board will get mad cause those QBs wouldn’t be able elevate a fairly underwhelming roster against rosters way more talented than ours.

Brian in Mesa

Advocatus Diaboli
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I definitely get where you're coming from about not building the team for Kyler/around Kyler if he's not the long-term answer. Have you considered a veteran replacement rather than going the draft route?
Our best years in Arizona minus Jake Plummer have been with veteran QBs. I'd be all for it if we could get the right fit. Is anyone decent going to be available though?

Stout

Hold onto the ball, Murray!
Reaction score
Our best years in Arizona minus Jake Plummer have been with veteran QBs. I'd be all for it if we could get the right fit. Is anyone decent going to be available though?
That is a very good question. I don't think we have a great shot at a good plan for a new QB next year if we keep Kyler, so I can see the team doing it, but I also want to sell high. Well, as high as possible. I think his trade value will nosedive after next season.

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
I'm with @DVontel being fine with this. Even if Kyler's ceiling in this offense is 8-10 wins that still gets you entertaining seasons while you fill out the roster.

Having a few cornerstone pieces with a QB on a rookie contract allows you to keep the group together while the QB matures without having to make desperation moves because your second-year QB leads you to an 11-6 season and you can't replenish holes with draft picks.

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
There's no real solution for the QB problem in 2024 that isn't Kyler Murray or Drake Maybe/Caleb Williams.

Kirk Cousins at 37
Ryan Tannehill at 37
Sam Darnold
Jameis
Drew Lock
Baker Mayfield

I'd probably take a chance on Baker if Petzing likes him, but he could get a new deal with Tampa. Drew Lock looks like a Madden Create-a-Player QB, but he's 28 and has some tools to be New Era Drew Stanton.

OP
OP
slanidrac16

slanidrac16

ASFN Icon
Supporting Member
Reaction score

It doesn’t exactly mean building the QB around the Kyler, but more so building a better roster for the next QB to come in especially compared to the ones Kyler & Rosen walked into.

Build the kitchen before you bring the kitchen supplies in. Drafting Maye or Caleb would be doing the exact opposite and then this board will get mad cause those QBs wouldn’t be able elevate a fairly underwhelming roster against rosters way more talented than ours.
The dilemma I see is we build the the offense , Kyler turned out to be purgatory Kyler, we get 6-7 wins then we’re drafting 10th or 11th without a shot at a top rated qb.
Maybe the thing to do is trade down, accumulate picks for 2025 to allow us to move up in 2025 for a qb?

I think Hurts was a 3rd round pick. Is there a Qb worth taking a shot at that could even push Kyler?

DVontel

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I think Hurts was a 3rd round pick. Is there a Qb worth taking a shot at that could even push Kyler?
Hurts was a 2nd round pick that came onto team that pretty much had a solid supporting cast. JJ McCarthy or any other QB would be coming into a fairly mediocre supporting cast.

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
Hurts was a 2nd round pick that came onto team that pretty much had a solid supporting cast. JJ McCarthy or any other QB would be coming into a fairly mediocre supporting cast.
100%! Hurts was drafted by a team that went 9-7 the year before (and was quickly bounced from the playoffs). They went 4-11-1 his rookie season while actively tanking in week 18. Hurts was considered The Problem after his first season as a starter.

I'm kind of shocked at how quickly everyone soured on Clayton Tune. Just because you watched him play football?! Tune is the perfect QB for this team right now. He'll such worse than Kyler if he gets injured and will maybe be a good dude explaining Petzing's dumb offense to the next guy (if needed).

phillycard

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
100%! Hurts was drafted by a team that went 9-7 the year before (and was quickly bounced from the playoffs). They went 4-11-1 his rookie season while actively tanking in week 18. Hurts was considered The Problem after his first season as a starter.

I'm kind of shocked at how quickly everyone soured on Clayton Tune. Just because you watched him play football?! Tune is the perfect QB for this team right now. He'll such worse than Kyler if he gets injured and will maybe be a good dude explaining Petzing's dumb offense to the next guy (if needed).
I'm not ready to just give up on Clayton Tune just yet, (to my earlier point Kerouac!) but my Lord he looked like he didn't even belong on an NFL field against the Browns. I get it. Their defense is not the one you want to make your NFL debut against, but they're certainly not Ray Lewis's Ravens. Dude looked flat out lost. I don't want to even think about him being the starting qb for the Arizona Cardinals next year. Not at this moment, that's for sure. On the roster? Sure why not. But under center week 1 against whomever we open against? Nah, I'm good.

OP
OP
slanidrac16

slanidrac16

ASFN Icon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
So many were complaining MO didn’t do enough to improve the team this year( not me).
Any player we add is to build the roster. If Kyler is only good enough to get us to 7 win purgatory and a 12th pick of the draft we would be forced to trade up to get the next “ franchise” qb.
Tune is not the guy. At least I hope MO doesn’t believe that. If McCarthy( or somebody) is here he might push Kyler as the starter. And if by some chance we are 2-8 he could step in and become the starter and be ready go 2025.

phillycard

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
So many were complaining MO didn’t do enough to improve the team this year( not me).
Any player we add is to build the roster. If Kyler is only good enough to get us to 7 win purgatory and a 12th pick of the draft we would be forced to trade up to get the next “ franchise” qb.
Tune is not the guy. At least I hope MO doesn’t believe that. If McCarthy( or somebody) is here he might push Kyler as the starter. And if by some chance we are 2-8 he could step in and become the starter and be ready go 2025.
A good backup is CRITICAL to this team's success next season. Obviously we were clearly unprepared and it cost us big time.

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score
There's no real solution for the QB problem in 2024 that isn't Kyler Murray or Drake Maybe/Caleb Williams.

Kirk Cousins at 37
Ryan Tannehill at 37
Sam Darnold
Jameis
Drew Lock
Baker Mayfield

I'd probably take a chance on Baker if Petzing likes him, but he could get a new deal with Tampa. Drew Lock looks like a Madden Create-a-Player QB, but he's 28 and has some tools to be New Era Drew Stanton.
Agree 100% with this.

MadCardDisease

Supporting Member
Reaction score

Exactly. I agree 100%.

phillycard

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
It’s one of my least concerns for a successful 2024 season, TBH. Spend cap dollars on it, not draft capital.
I don't see Kyler lasting a full 17 games and maybe a playoff game with this roster as currently constructed. Not trying to have Tune be THE guy.

LarryStalling

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
I would like to see the second-string qb, Paddock, from Illinois brought in as a FA. I don't think anyone will draft him, but I saw him play he might be ok. Might be ok is why you bring in undrafted FA.

WisconsinCard

Herfin BIg Time
Reaction score
The dilemma I see is we build the the offense , Kyler turned out to be purgatory Kyler, we get 6-7 wins then we’re drafting 10th or 11th without a shot at a top rated qb.
Maybe the thing to do is trade down, accumulate picks for 2025 to allow us to move up in 2025 for a qb?

Not that this will happen but here is one possibility. They think we could draft Michael Penix in round 3.

OP
OP
slanidrac16

slanidrac16

ASFN Icon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Not that this will happen but here is one possibility. They think we could draft Michael Penix in round 3.

See, I don’t know much about the qb’s in college but I do see the sense in this. Is he ready to step in as a starter if needed or is he a project?

WisconsinCard

Herfin BIg Time
Reaction score
See, I don’t know much about the qb’s in college but I do see the sense in this. Is he ready to step in as a starter if needed or is he a project?
I'm no expert but I don't see him as an immediate starter nor do I see him going that late.

My guess is he'll stick around the league for a long time as a backup.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ConpiracyCard