Official Madden 2007 thread

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I just bought a 62" Mitsubishi DLP to replace the 55" that I used to have. I had to turn off Oblivion because the difference between the 1080i resolution on the two TV's actually began to give me a headache because it was so real looking. It was the first time that I played it.

I love my new TV!

Last edited:

BleedRed

Registered
Reaction score
do any of you guys play '06 on-line for ps2? Just curious. I just started on-line (yea, I know kinda late. lol) My nick is rededge915. Hit me up.

JS22

Say Vandelay!
Reaction score
bratwurst said:
I have a card that is like a silver 12 month deal or something?

Seriously, I brought the box home with all the stuff in it, waited 4 days to set it up, then didn't play it for another week, and then when I finally turned it on I beat up some little featherweights using Muhammed Ali for a half hour. Haven't played since. Its just sitting there unused, I just don't really have any desire to play xbox. Any time I have to play games I am usually playing Day of Defeat: Source.

Want to sell your 360? Send me a PM if so. ;)

bratwurst

on double secret probation
Reaction score
WastedFate said:
Want to sell your 360? Send me a PM if so. ;)

I still haven't played it again. I already told one of my staffers at work I'd let him have it.

Ryanwb

ASFN IDOL
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
bratwurst said:
I still haven't played it again. I already told one of my staffers at work I'd let him have it.

:eek:

OP
OP
A

abomb

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I wont do this. Greedy bastards.

Video games go pay-per-view
EA, ESPN to offer sneak peek at this year's Madden - for those willing to pony up $20
Game Over is a weekly column by Chris Morris
July 25 2006: 2:32 PM EDT

NEW YORK (CNNMoney.com) -- Fans of the Madden football series are hardcore - but are they hardcore enough to pay $20 to get an advance look at the game?

Publisher Electronic Arts and ESPN are betting so, teaming up to produce a one-hour pay-per-view special that will describe the newest features of this year's game and interview some of the game's creators and most skilled players along with NFL players featured in the game.

The Madden series has generated over $2 billion in revenue for Electronic Arts.

Convincing people to watch what is essentially a one-hour infomercial is tough enough. Convincing them to spend $20 on it is another - but it might be a mistake to bet against the Madden fan base.

Last year's version of the annual franchise sold 1.7 million copies in the first week, ultimately selling more than 3 million copies. Life to date, the Madden games have generated over $2 billion in revenue for EA (Charts).

This year's version is due in stores Aug. 22. The pay-per-view starts Aug. 4. That's a long period to whip the loyalists into a lather, but it underscores the changing face of video game marketing.

That change, arguably, started with Microsoft's release of "Halo 2". Moving beyond the typical print and television campaigns, the company ran trailers in motion picture theaters in 2004. It also launched an alternate reality game (a cross-media puzzle blending in-game experiences with the real world) that captivated fans and kept interest piqued in the game without forcing Microsoft to leak any details about the plot or gaming experience.

The unusual marketing cost Microsoft (Charts) tens of millions of dollars, but it paid off. Fans lined up outside some 7,000 retail stores for up to 15 hours before the game went on sale at midnight on Nov. 9. In the first 24 hours, the game sold 2.4 million copies, racking up sales of $125 million. Ultimately, more than 8 million copies were sold.

Will a pay-per-view special create the same frenzy? Almost certainly not - but no one expects an annual franchise to match the anticipation of one that only appears every three or four years.

"Video game publishers are following the eyeballs," said Colin Sebastian, Senior Research Analyst with Lazard Capital Markets. "There's been a core shift - especially among the core 18-35 demographic - from traditional media consumption to other fields. It's a challenge to find the right people and generate sales off of that marketing."

Pay-per-view does have some advantages other marketing doesn't, too. For one thing, if the Madden special proves to be a hit, EA can recoup some of its marketing budget for the game, lowering its overall costs. Perhaps more importantly, it positions the game as an event.

"The chief advantage of a pay-per-view is it goes on the schedule and folks who are interested can plan around it," said John Taylor, an analyst with Arcadia. "The thing about a traditional television ad is you can target an particular audience at a particular time, but people don't know when the thing they're most interested in will be on, so they can't plan their schedule around it."

The timing of this year's marketing push isn't coincidental. With the release of the PlayStation 3 from Sony (Charts) and Nintendo's Wii this fall, the media spotlight will be squarely on hardware, not software. Those games that do get extra attention will do so not necessarily because of quality - but because they show off either the graphical ability of the machines (in the case of the Xbox 360 and PS3) or the functionality of the Wii's unique controller.

By making the Madden release an event, it could help the game stand out further from the crowd - capturing the eye of people who might normally bypass it. (Adding to the hype machine, ESPN Classic will air four hours of "Madden Nation" - a reality show showing a competition among Madden players for a $100,000 prize - before the pay-per-view episode launches.)

It's not the first time EA and ESPN have worked together, either. The two companies, which struck a 15-year marketing relationship in 2005, gave fans their first look at the Xbox 360's graphically advanced version of "Madden 2006" last year during the NFL draft.

Don't expect the non-traditional marketing methods to end with Madden, either. "Halo 3," due out next year, will almost certainly utilize new methods in reaching out to fans. And earlier this year, EA's Will Wright (creator of the "The Sims") discussed one possible plan in the works for his upcoming title "Spore".

One of the principle features of the game is the player creates a truly unique creature, deciding the body shape, number of arms and legs and more. It adds a sense of personalization that is well beyond any title to date. Wright mentioned the possibility of allowing players to order custom created models of their creatures.

That's not only unusual marketing - that's a slick way to boost revenues from the game.

bratwurst

Reaction score
I can't think of anything besides Sunday Ticket I would spend money on PPV for. Sure as hell wouldn't PPV a commercial.

bratwurst

Reaction score
In marketing, there's a term used a lot called "earned media" where you do something to market your product by creating a buzz - and having media and other outlets cover your story simply for the talk factor. This way, the news makes your positive product pitch for you, for low or no cost.

Madden has had this for a LONG time with all the video game coverage out there. I'm not sure this PPV commercial is a necessary marketing bit, but they are going to get a lot of "earned media" with the thought of this kind of outlandish pitch. If they make little to no sales for $20, they're still getting a lot of extra hype and coverage.

Ryanwb

ASFN IDOL
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
I'll just wait for some poor sap to buy it then I'll read his blog.

Lefty

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Does anyone play Madden online on their computer? Also, are there any really good joysticks to play Madden on the computer?

bratwurst

Reaction score
I play Madden on PC. I did not buy it last year though.

I used to use a gravis joypad that looks exactly like the sony playstation ones, but I upgraded last year to a xbox 360 gamepad that plugs into the PC.

OP
OP
A

abomb

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Madden 07 comes out Tuesday, August 22. I am sure many stores will do the midnight release on Monday.

Pariah

H.S.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
bratwurst said:
In marketing, there's a term used a lot called "earned media" where you do something to market your product by creating a buzz - and having media and other outlets cover your story simply for the talk factor. This way, the news makes your positive product pitch for you, for low or no cost.
I've never heard it called "earned media," it's simply media relations. PR hacks (like me) sit in front of their computer every day and try to think of reasons we can call a media outlet to talk about our clients.

Most business news you read started out as a story pitch from somone like me.

Ryanwb

ASFN IDOL
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Pariah said:
PR hacks (like me) sit in front of their computer every day and try to think of reasons we can call a media outlet to talk about our clients.

Why don't you just start cold calling people?

Pariah

H.S.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ryanwb said:
Why don't you just start cold calling people?
I call and introduce myself to reporters that I've never met everyday. You still need something to talk about--a reason to call.

vince56

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Zona90 said:
Does anyone play Madden online on their computer? Also, are there any really good joysticks to play Madden on the computer?

for $5 on ebay, you can get an adapter that will convert a normal Xbox controller to USB. There are free drivers for it all over the internet. XBCD is the set I use, and they work phenomenally well for most PC games.

Jedi Knight games + PC capabilities + Xbox controller = lots of fun killing stormtroopers :thumbup:

D-Dogg

A Whole New World
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Pariah said:
I've never heard it called "earned media," it's simply media relations. PR hacks (like me) sit in front of their computer every day and try to think of reasons we can call a media outlet to talk about our clients.

You do PR Pariah? I didn't know that...we should share a drink sometime and hash out old stories....I'll tell you about the time I got laughed at pitching an ATT & Philips story to an AP reporter (who I went on to have a great relationship with) when I was a lowly account coordinator pitching for the first time.

Pariah

H.S.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
D-Dogg said:
You do PR Pariah? I didn't know that...we should share a drink sometime and hash out old stories....I'll tell you about the time I got laughed at pitching an ATT & Philips story to an AP reporter (who I went on to have a great relationship with) when I was a lowly account coordinator pitching for the first time.
Yeah, I've got plenty of those stories. I used to be in Tech PR during the boom and those tech reporters were brutal on green hacks (which I was). Now I'm at a very niche agency. The market is so small and the companies that feed into it are so NOT media savvy, that the editors love dealing with us because we provide them most of their content.

We'll chat at the opener. I'll be there with my brother. I hope there's an ASFN tailgate....so I can mooch food and beer off of people that will pretend to be happy to see me...

D-Dogg

A Whole New World
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Definitely will have to have a beer. I moved away from PR as fast as possible and into management level marketing. It's so great directing a PR agency as part of your job instead of working at one as your only job. Still, from time to time I have to pitch and I still hate doing it.

Although pitching video games (which I did for 5 years) was pretty awesome and very different than anything else I'd done...the media in that space was awesome. I'm still good friends with a lot of them.

bratwurst

Reaction score
Pariah said:

In my line (I have always worked for political organizations) they call it this all the time.

BigDavis75

Making a Comeback
Reaction score
When are the ratings going to come out. Also, will Madden 07 also be released on normal XBOX?

coyoteshockeyfan

Fool In The Rain
Supporting Member
Reaction score
BigDavis75 said:
When are the ratings going to come out. Also, will Madden 07 also be released on normal XBOX?
Madden 07 will be released on the original xbox.

mjb21aztd

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
man i'm so looking forward to this game cant wait Cardinals will actually be pretty decent to use online this year :) Just to bad they took out owner mode for the 360 not sure about the reg version cause that was one of my favorite features. Oh well eaither way really looking forward to this game.