Official 2006 Arizona Wildcats Basketball Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lefty

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I think these are great. Thank god the red is gone they were an eye sore. These are clean, nothing flashy yet classy. I'm glad the Cats made the switch and according to Ryan Finley of the Star they are here to stay.

The players like the red, as well as I do. I hope they can get red for next year.

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Who knew Lute was Irish and wanted the team wearing kilts?

:D

Not as bad as I'd heard but it is a weird contrast extremely tight shirt, long baggy shorts.

It is amazing what Michael Jordan wrought on us all because he wanted to wear his lucky HS shorts under his UNC shorts and thus needed bigger shorts.

Sure do beat the old days though with the really short short.

Mr. Boldin

Mel Kiper's Daddy
Reaction score
Arizona will have red as an option starting next season.

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
UA picked a bad day to shoot poorly, Oregon is over 50% from 3, UA just over 30% overall, 19 point lead for UO.

Honestly I want UA to win, I think UCLA matches up with them better assuming Ryan Anderson and Cal don't go nuts again and take out UCLA.

Renz

An Army of One
Reaction score
Typical PAC-10 tournament performance by UA as of late. Personally, I'm glad they lost because the Cats aren't deep and a long PAC-10 tournament run would only tire the team out.

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Typical PAC-10 tournament performance by UA as of late. Personally, I'm glad they lost because the Cats aren't deep and a long PAC-10 tournament run would only tire the team out.

I actually agree with Lute on the tournaments, I hate them. Makes the regular season meaningless, UCLA goes 15-3 in the regular season but if they lose to Cal or Oregon etc, they don't get the auto bid?

green machine

I rule at posting
Reaction score

I'm more concerned with the team's total suckiness when it comes to the tournament then them being tired.

Let's face it: This team stinks.

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It is spreading UCLA down 22-13 to cal, Collison and Afflalo scoreless and Mata already has 2 fouls.

Ryan Anderson is making his case that he should have won FOY over Budinger, 27 yesterday, 11 already today.

MaoTosiFanClub

The problem
Reaction score
I actually agree with Lute on the tournaments, I hate them. Makes the regular season meaningless, UCLA goes 15-3 in the regular season but if they lose to Cal or Oregon etc, they don't get the auto bid?
Point taken. But if you were the coach of a team that's staring down a 8-9 seed you would not come out and declare the conference tournament a "waste of time" two days before it began. Lute can be ambivalent about the Tourney as much as he wants to to in privacy, but questioning it's merit in front of players not to mention getting them there less than 18 hours prior to tip is flat out ********. Especialy when half-assing the Pac-10 Tournament probably cost his teams Final Four's in 2003 and 2005. It's only natural that the kids are going to be apathetic about the Pac-10 Tournament if their coach is.

And Mustafa Shakur is abhorrent. If I had to watch that guy for four more years I would have a heart attack.

Lefty

ASFN Icon
Reaction score

UCLA loses to Cal today. I wonder if Howland thinks this tournament is necessary?

As for the Cats, thankfully I was at work and did not watch it. I dvr'd it but deleted it once I got home. The UCLA loss makes me feel a little better.

Renz

An Army of One
Reaction score
Point taken. But if you were the coach of a team that's staring down a 8-9 seed you would not come out and declare the conference tournament a "waste of time" two days before it began.

Lute has been dissing the conference tournaments for years. It isn't exactly a secret.

Either way, the Cats will be a 6 or 7 seed this year, IMO.

Lefty

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Lute has been dissing the conference tournaments for years. It isn't exactly a secret.

Either way, the Cats will be a 6 or 7 seed this year, IMO.

I can see the Cats being a 7-10 seed.

Skkorpion

Grey haired old Bird
LEGACY MEMBER
Supporting Member
Reaction score
1. Russ: Ben Howland is not atournament coach. We've argued this before.

2. Lute is on the downside
But if you were the coach of a team that's staring down a 8-9 seed you would not come out and declare the conference tournament a "waste of time" two days before it began. Lute can be ambivalent about the Tourney as much as he wants to to in privacy, but questioning it's merit in front of players not to mention getting them there less than 18 hours prior to tip is flat out ********. Especialy when half-assing the Pac-10 Tournament probably cost his teams Final Four's in 2003 and 2005. It's only natural that the kids are going to be apathetic about the Pac-10 Tournament if their coach is.

And Mustafa Shakur is abhorrent. If I had to watch that guy for four more years I would have a heart attack.

Tough self-analysis. Half right, half wrong. I hope I am as critical of my teams.

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
UCLA loses to Cal today. I wonder if Howland thinks this tournament is necessary?

As for the Cats, thankfully I was at work and did not watch it. I dvr'd it but deleted it once I got home. The UCLA loss makes me feel a little better.

FWIW according to physioc and marques johnson the rumor is Afflalo was sick and that's why he played so poorly, 3 points, no rebounds, 1-7 from the floor, 1-4 from the line, and Ubaka killed him on defense. I didn't get to see the game but at half on Bruinzone people were saying he was sweating profusely and they wondered why.

But no excuse and no howland does not discount the tournament he's furious, said their goal as always was to win it.

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
How do you figure? He won 5 of 6 games in last years NCAA's.

I think Skorp thinks Ben overcoaches and his teams end up mentally worn down. I don't agree but I do think he has a flaw in that he wants too much control.

Don't want to totally hijack a UA thread so I'll start a new thread on it.

AZBALLER

sleeping giant
Reaction score
Last year was Howland's best. At Pitt, his teams often had tournament troubles, especially when favored.

So going from a young coach of an average program to UCLA's coach it seams that he has learned and improved?

As far as I'm concerned, he's the "Pete Caroll" of Pac basketball...

Skkorpion

Grey haired old Bird
LEGACY MEMBER
Supporting Member
Reaction score
So going from a young coach of an average program to UCLA's coach it seams that he has learned and improved?

As far as I'm concerned, he's the "Pete Caroll" of Pac basketball...

Explain the Cal score then.

OP
OP
Dback Jon

Dback Jon

Killer Snail
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Arizona - 8 seed plays Purdue in new Orleans, winner faces Florida

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online