Official 2006 Arizona Wildcats Basketball Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

HooverDam

Reaction score
So UA fans in the know, I keep hearing Budinger will stay to play with Bayless, then they'll both leave after next year and so will Lute.

Whats the over/under on a 60% chance Lute leaves after next year?

AZBALLER

sleeping giant
Reaction score
I wasn't aware that you could have an "era" for only 1 year?

Mr. Boldin

Mel Kiper's Daddy
Reaction score
Anything should be considered an era, even 1 year, after Shakur's terrible play.

Chase and Bayless will likely leave together, but Lute wont.

AZBALLER

sleeping giant
Reaction score
You're right...after looking era up in the dictionary, even 1 year can be considered an era...good luck to ua on their next "era"...

AZBALLER

sleeping giant
Reaction score
If he only stays one season it will be because he played himself into the Top 20 of the draft and Arizona is a good team.

Slow down turbo...if he only stays one season and plays himself into the top 20, it means he's a top 20 player...It doesn't mean ua is a good team.

MaoTosiFanClub

The problem
Reaction score
Slow down turbo...if he only stays one season and plays himself into the top 20, it means he's a top 20 player...It doesn't mean ua is a good team.
If a guy is good enough to get picked in the Top 20, he's usually good enough to get his college team to a respectable level not to mention there will already be Tournament-caliber players on the roster. There are a few exceptions here and there, but probably 90% if not more of the college players picked in the Top 20 come from Tournament teams.

MaoTosiFanClub

The problem
Reaction score
I guess nobody ever taught you about assuming?
I guess nobody taught you how to support an argument. Feel free to check the last few years on the ratio of players drafted in the Top 20 on non-Tournament teams compared to those on Tournament teams. And I'm guessing the ratio is even higher for point guards.

That's without stating the obvious - college teams with good PG play win a helluva lot more than they lose.

Last edited:

Mrh182

Jai Guru Deva OM
Reaction score
Why are you trying to start a fight? I'm "assuming" that that's what you are doing.

My guess would be he's a devils fan that was on they hype train of the "new era" of sendek basketball at ASU... but got a nice check of reality that they are still the same terrible and worthless excuse for a team they've always been.

I mean lets be honest, without ASU's impressive victories this season against such powerhouses as North Carolina A&T, Colgate, and North Colorado they wouldn't have cracked the 5 victory mark.

Bitterness and jealousy tastes rotten, haha :biglaugh:

MaoTosiFanClub

The problem
Reaction score
Another unflattering article on Lute. I think he overstates the talent a bit on Arizona he makes it sound like UA lost in the first round with 6 Mickey D's all americans or something(Coach K).
Intersting article that certainly has some merit, but the author loses credibility with me when he suggests Mustafa Shakur and Ivan Radenovic are NBA players.

Next year will be intersting for Arizona basketball one way or the other. Many around the program have deservedly thrown Mustafa under the bus for the last four years, but if the underachieving continues next yar then I'm guessing there will be some change around the program that could include Lute.

Mrh182

Jai Guru Deva OM
Reaction score
Next year will be intersting for Arizona basketball one way or the other. Many around the program have deservedly thrown Mustafa under the bus for the last four years, but if the underachieving continues next yar then I'm guessing there will be some change around the program that could include Lute.

They will never fire Lute... he's made the program what it is and is a legend in that city. I think his pride will make him step down before anything else were to come up

MaoTosiFanClub

The problem
Reaction score
They will never fire Lute... he's made the program what it is and is a legend in that city. I think his pride will make him step down before anything else were to come up
I never said they would fire him, but I can see the powers that be putting pressure on him to overhaul the staff and I'm not sure how Lute would handle such a request. Of course this would only occur if Arizona has another poor effort next season which I don't see happening.

Arizona's Finest

Your My Favorite Mistake
Reaction score
I never said they would fire him, but I can see the powers that be putting pressure on him to overhaul the staff and I'm not sure how Lute would handle such a request. Of course this would only occur if Arizona has another poor effort next season which I don't see happening.

I would love to say i agree with you Mao but i am starting to lose hope. Even with Bayless coming it just seems like we don't have enough players who are willing to be tough and handle adversity well.

The last three years i would talk myself into believing that the team had the talent (which they did) to make a strong run but this is just getting out of hand with all the excuses the last three plaus years. I am not trying to replace Lute or anything but changes need to be made.

The formula that was working early in the decade has either passed us by or we have gotten away from it. But its ridiculous a team with this much talent plays the way it does.

And Ben Howland has been everything i feared. Olsen needs to get his house in order and it needs to get done fast. This is how good programs go bad......

Arizona's Finest

Your My Favorite Mistake
Reaction score
It also just goes to show that putting too much stock into one hyped player and trying to ride him out is never a good idea. Shakur for all his wonderful talents and demeanor has been the single biggest reason for this decline.

I'm hoping his leaving will lead to a return to prominence of PG University....

Skkorpion

Grey haired old Bird
LEGACY MEMBER
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It's not the players, nor the assistants, nor any other trumped up excuse, the problem is Lute Olson. It's his program, his coaches, his players, his scheme.

He's old and he's done. Right now, he's still getting good players. He just can't coach them well anymore.

MaoTosiFanClub

The problem
Reaction score
Thankfully Skkorp and AzBaller are wrong about 98% of the time, so their predictions are actually a good sign of future.

Lute has never been a great x's and o's coach. His strengths have always been in recruiting and developing and for a few years after Bobbi Olson's death and while he was courting his new wife, he did not spend the necessary energy recruiting players that were Arizona-worthy in talent and character (notice how many busts were in the 2003-2005 classes). Mistakes were made in evaluating talent and some players currently in the program weren't even scouted in person. That's the biggest problem with the program right now, they just don't have the talent. When you have three marginal recruiting classes in a row you can only expect to be a mediocre team. Just ask Bruce Weber, Coach K, Tubby Smith, Jim Boeheim, etc.

And of course the blame does ultimately fall on Lute. It is his program.

Last edited:

AZBALLER

sleeping giant
Reaction score
Thankfully Skkorp and AzBaller are wrong about 98% of the time, so their predictions are actually a good sign of future.

I predict that ua never misses the NCAA tourney and that they win at least 1 national championship in a mens sport this century...

Last edited:

Mr. Boldin

Mel Kiper's Daddy
Reaction score
It's not the players, nor the assistants, nor any other trumped up excuse, the problem is Lute Olson. It's his program, his coaches, his players, his scheme.

He's old and he's done. Right now, he's still getting good players. He just can't coach them well anymore.

He's old and he's done? Two years ago they were on the verge of another Final Four. The reality is that they made some bad choices in recruiting, had bad luck with injuries (Walters, Tangara, McClellan), didnt have many players that wanted to play defense, and a point guard who couldnt fill the bill.

If you really think his coaching is the problem, then I guess we can let it ride on next year. We arent going to be as talented as this year, will rely on a lot of freshman and inexperienced players, and play a more difficult schedule than this season. If UA can win 22 games next year, coaching is clearly not the problem.

I really find it hard to believe that people think Lute cant coach anymore. Usually those are the people who have never seen him coach in person (aka practice) or hear/see how he coaches during games. Its not the system, its not Lute, its not the assistants. The problem is that Arizona doesnt have many, and hasnt had many, mentally tough players over the past few years. If they are taken out of the game, they sulk. If they are pushed around they dont push back. If they have to play defense they dont try. Lastly they dont have anyone to lead the team.

I know it sounds like I am making a lot of excuses, but I know for a fact the problem isnt that Lute cant coach. There are other things that are hurting the program. Can they all be fixed by next season? Highly unlikely, but like I said... If Lute can win 22 games next year, he clearly isnt the problem, because this team is going to be similar to the 2000 team; led by freshman and inexperienced players.

I guess only time will tell, or in this case convince you, but Lute isnt the problem. Trust me.

AZBALLER

sleeping giant
Reaction score
excuse, excuse, excuse...The coaches job is to win. He had great talent, and yet he didn't win.

He's past his prime.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Beagleperson