Not open for further replies.
OP
OP
Dback Jon

Dback Jon

Killer Snail
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Purdue is not a good team, but then again neither is Arizona. Whoever wins that game will get blasted by Florida.

And can anyone explain to me how Va Tech is a 5 seed?

Florida should win that match up against either team.

Va Tech - losing to Illinois :)

TJ

Frank Kaminsky is my Hero.
Reaction score
Lute Olson had better pull all the same stops he pulled in '97 when we won it all!!

The problem: I dont think this team has the wherewithal to beat Florida

ajcardfan

I see you.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yeah I saw that and thought what a horrible 2nd round matchup for Arizona.

Do they really deserve much better though?

I think they lucked out by drawing Purdue, which I think is a horrible #9 seed.

Overall, I thought this entire tournament is one of the worst seeded, and selected, that I can remember.

TJ

Frank Kaminsky is my Hero.
Reaction score
And theres the monkey paw: Vitale just picked us to upset Florida in the second round

we're screwed!!

Mrh182

Jai Guru Deva OM
Reaction score
Overall, I thought this entire tournament is one of the worst seeded, and selected, that I can remember.

You're singing the song that everyone on the Arizona Rivals board is saying... just a horrible year for seedings and selections....

One point I found interesting was that we finished with the same conference record as Oregon, beat them once, our RPI 14 with theirs 21, our SOS 2 with theirs 80... but they won the Pac-10 tourney... making them a #3 seed...

I dont like it. :bang:

Renz

An Army of One
Reaction score
You're singing the song that everyone on the Arizona Rivals board is saying... just a horrible year for seedings and selections....

One point I found interesting was that we finished with the same conference record as Oregon, beat them once, our RPI 14 with theirs 21, our SOS 2 with theirs 80... but they won the Pac-10 tourney... making them a #3 seed...

Teams don't get rewarded for playing a tough schedule. Period. Play a weak-to-average non-conference schedule and win a couple of games in your conference tournament and you get a high seed. SOS doesn't mean squat to the NCAA. Duke is a #6? BS.

green machine

I rule at posting
Reaction score

Let's see...the teams split the season series with each winning a close game on the other's court...and then came the Pac10 tournament in which the Cats just got blasted. And Oregon beat teams in the tournament that the Cats hadn't beat all season.

I have no problem with Oregon being ranked high, my biggest complaint is the Cats as an 8. They just aren't very good.

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score

They put a lot on how a team finishes and Oregon finished redhot.

I was surprised Stanford got in for that reason. I'm assuming they noticed that Stanford started the year without Brook Lopez, and hit a lull late without Anthony Goods, both guys are now healthy, so they gave Stanford some benefit of the doubt?

I think Kansas State was left out for one reason, people on the selection table wanted to send a message to Bob Huggins, we still don't like you.

Lefty

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Teams don't get rewarded for playing a tough schedule. Period. Play a weak-to-average non-conference schedule and win a couple of games in your conference tournament and you get a high seed. SOS doesn't mean squat to the NCAA. Duke is a #6? BS.

I don't think so, just ask Syracuse.

Last edited:

ajcardfan

I see you.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
They put a lot on how a team finishes and Oregon finished redhot.

I was surprised Stanford got in for that reason. I'm assuming they noticed that Stanford started the year without Brook Lopez, and hit a lull late without Anthony Goods, both guys are now healthy, so they gave Stanford some benefit of the doubt?

I think Kansas State was left out for one reason, people on the selection table wanted to send a message to Bob Huggins, we still don't like you.

Yeah, Stanford was a real head scratcher. K-State just blasts Tech in their tourney, but Tech gets in and they don't.

A whole lot of it just doesn't seem to be very logical or fair.

MaoTosiFanClub

The problem
Reaction score
I don't think so, just ask Syracuse.
It's about time the committee held Boeheim responsible for his embarassing scheduling practices. Every year 'Cuse does not play outside of New York until January and they have never got knocked for it.

As far as Arizona goes, Lute should look no further than Oregon before he refers to the Pac-10 Tourney as a "waste of time." When both schools took the court last Thursday they were both around a 6-8 seed. The Cats looked apathetic in getting blown out and were rewarded with an 8 seed while Oregon marched to a Pac-10 Tourney title and a 3 seed.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Dback Jon

Dback Jon

Killer Snail
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It's about time the committee held Boeheim responsible for his embarassing scheduling practices. Every year 'Cuse does not play outside of New York until January and they have never got knocked for it.

Amen!!

Boeheim should be embarrased to complain.

AZBALLER

sleeping giant
Reaction score
Explain the Cal score then.

Pete has lost to Cal in football also, does that explain the point?

No coach or team is perfect...But certain teams do set the proverbial "bar".

I think Howland has set the current bar for the Pac. Just as Lute and Montgomery(sp?) have done in years past.

AZBALLER

sleeping giant
Reaction score

The selection commitee puts extra emphasis into their seedings based on the last 10 games of the season...It's been that way for a long time.

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yeah, Stanford was a real head scratcher. K-State just blasts Tech in their tourney, but Tech gets in and they don't.

A whole lot of it just doesn't seem to be very logical or fair.

Stanford lost to Air Force early in the year by 34 points, Stanford gets an at large with 18 wins, Air Force left out with their much better record. Stanford didn't have Brook Lopez when they played AF, but is he really worth 34 points?

That said I think Stanford beats Louisville.

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Pete has lost to Cal in football also, does that explain the point?

No coach or team is perfect...But certain teams do set the proverbial "bar".

I think Howland has set the current bar for the Pac. Just as Lute and Montgomery(sp?) have done in years past.

Worse than that Carroll lost to UCLA when a win puts him in the NC game.

Losing to Cal when everyone was saying all week even with a loss they'd get a #1 seed is not as bad. now it turns out they don't get the 1 seed but it was almost universal that people said they would even with a loss, largely because nobody expected they would lose.

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
FYI for those who want Gillespie to take over when Lute retires, better hope Kentucky does poorly. Apparently the rumor is UK fans are pushing hard to
get Tubby out, and Gillespie in to replace him.

MaoTosiFanClub

The problem
Reaction score
FYI for those who want Gillespie to take over when Lute retires, better hope Kentucky does poorly. Apparently the rumor is UK fans are pushing hard to
get Tubby out, and Gillespie in to replace him.
This isn't exactly news, UK fans have been trying to push Tubby out the door for years. I don't think he's gone if he agrees to overhaul his coaching staff which is probably a good idea considering how poorly they've recruited in recent years.

Obviously Gillispie is going to come up in every big program's coaching search for the foreseeable future. So will Jamie Dixon, Tom Crean, John Calipari, Mark Few, and Mike Montgomery. I'm not going to concern myself with Gillispie right now, despite what alleged UofA insider Skkorp is telling everyone, Lute ain't going anywhere until he at least gets in one more deep Tourney run which is not happening this year.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jdndndn