Monta Ellis

sly fly

Devil Me This
Reaction score
After just viewing a few of his highlights on video, I have to say that this kid may be league MVP sometime soon.

The dunk on Barbosa ranks as one of the best of all-time. And, the fan reaction was priceless.

Golden St. better lock him up.

hawaiiansun

Registered
Reaction score
You watched a couple good highlight videos and you think that will make him the league MVP soon? :| I'd like to see him keep this up for a whole season before I make that assumption.

OP
OP
sly fly

sly fly

Devil Me This
Reaction score
You watched a couple good highlight videos and you think that will make him the league MVP soon? :| I'd like to see him keep this up for a whole season before I make that assumption.

Then you haven't seen him play.

Watch a couple of his games, kid.

hawaiiansun

Registered
Reaction score
Then you haven't seen him play.

Watch a couple of his games, kid.

You are saying hes going to be the LEAGUE MVP, and exactly what has he done?

If you are talking about this season alone, and his stats, Leandro Barbosa beats him in almost every statistical category.

Barbosa
PG 18.5
RPG 3.5
APG 5.2
SPG 1.55
BPG .36
FG% .452
FT% .865
3P% .458
MPG 35.0

Ellis
PPG 18.1
RPG 2.8
APG 4.4
SPG 1.25
BPG .33
FG% .497
FT% .764
3P% .379
MPG 33.5

Everything better, except for field goal percentage. And barbs only plays one and a half minutes more too. Hmm guess Leandro could become MVP some day too.

Last edited:

elindholm

edited for content
Reaction score
It's very hard to predict whether athleticism will translate to a stellar all-around game. Desmond Mason still turns in some highlight reel dunks of his own, but other than that, he's pretty much worthless.

az1965

Love Games!
Reaction score
Too pre-mature to say anything like this for a player based on few highlight reels.

OP
OP
sly fly

sly fly

Devil Me This
Reaction score
Let's not get too nit-picky.

I didn't say this year. I didn't say next year. I said soon. And, "maybe".

Monta Ellis has all the tools. He's 1 year out of high school. And, he's been pretty much unguardable this year.

Write his name down on a little piece of paper. Fold it up...and open it up again in about 5 years. Barring injury, Monta Ellis is going to be a superstar for many years to come.

Hope that this claim doesn't offend anybody.

Carry on..

Nash

Reaction score
Too pre-mature to say anything like this for a player based on few highlight reels.

I second that. It may be OK to say he might be an All-Star someday, but MVP? You got to be kidding me!

If this kid deserves an MVP award, what about athletic monsters like Amare and Vince Carter? They've done it on a much bigger stage than Monta and for a much more sustained period. And there are the other stars like Kobe, TMac, Dirk to name a few, who don't have an MVP.
star? maybe. MVP? I don't think so.

that said, I'm loving his contribution to my fantasy team so far. I've had him on my team since the start of this week, and he's been good so far.

elindholm

edited for content
Reaction score
Monta Ellis has all the tools. He's 1 year out of high school.

I'm not nitpicking either, but he's 21, so he's a year or two older than most people who are one year out of high school.

I am impressed that he has scored in double figures every game this season -- a claim that no one on the Suns can make, for instance. Usually a young player has more ups and downs.

hafey

Registered
Reaction score
Monta Ellis won't ever be an MVP, but he is a very good young player. Living in the bay area, I see the warriors more than I care to. Ellis reminds me of Kevin Johnson, a lot. Super quick, small, and an already good mid-range game.

PHX 32

Hard times on Planet Orange
Reaction score
This is probably the STUPIDEST thread I have ever read on this site. You see the kid do a couple dunks and you think he's a future MVP. Monta Ellis winning MVP is about as likely as all of us becoming lakers fans, STUPID STUPID STUPID!
:bang: :barf:

OP
OP
sly fly

sly fly

Devil Me This
Reaction score
This is probably the STUPIDEST thread I have ever read on this site. You see the kid do a couple dunks and you think he's a future MVP. Monta Ellis winning MVP is about as likely as all of us becoming lakers fans, STUPID STUPID STUPID!
:bang: :barf:

While your reading comprehension skills need a little work, at least you know how to effectively use smilies.

hawaiiansun

Registered
Reaction score
I'm not saying Ellis is a bad player, I think Monta Ellis is pretty good, but to me just seems like an undersized Shooting Guard, like a steve francis type of player. Is he really 21 and 2 years out of high school? Damn I'm 17 and one year out of high school, what a lucky guy.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Monta Ellis won't ever be an MVP, but he is a very good young player. Living in the bay area, I see the warriors more than I care to. Ellis reminds me of Kevin Johnson, a lot. Super quick, small, and an already good mid-range game.

I think your comparing Monta Ellis to Kevin Johnson is quite a compliment for this young man. IMO, I think most any NBA team going into battle with a PG with similar abilities of a Kevin Johnson would be quite happy... as NBA PG's do not get much better.

However, as I have not seen Ellis play, I'm not ready to predict his upside.

hafey

Registered
Reaction score
I would agree. It is certainly a compliment, but I really do think Ellis will live up to it. Or at least he has that type of upside.

jbeecham

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Actually it was Ronnie Price, a 6'2 190lb G.
You must be registered for see images attach

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Monta Ellis has all the tools. He's 1 year out of high school.

I'm not nitpicking either, but he's 21, so he's a year or two older than most people who are one year out of high school.

I am impressed that he has scored in double figures every game this season -- a claim that no one on the Suns can make, for instance. Usually a young player has more ups and downs.

For Monta to ever be that good he's got to improve his jumpshot. I love the kid the thing nobody mentions is his defense, he's a lockdown on ball defender. But right now you have to worry about his lack of an outside shot because if you constantly depend on driving to the hole to score, at his size, you fear injuries.

He's a hell of a player though.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Beagleperson