Mavericks @ Suns 12-13-18

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The Mavericks (14-11) have traveled a different path since they lost to the Suns (4-24) in Phoenix on opening night.

Phoenix has lost their last 10 games while the Mavericks have won two in a row and face the Hawks at home tonight.

It will be an interesting return match-up between Ayton and Doncic.

Also I'm curious to see how fans react to a report that Sarver dropped hints to the Phoenix City Council that the Suns might be moved if funding is not approved for $150 million in renovations.

The game is scheduled to be televised on TNT at 8:30 p.m. Arizona time.

See more from Duane Rankin at azcentral:

Outlook: Phoenix (4-24) looks to snap a 10-game losing streak as the Suns are coming off a 111-86 loss Tuesday night in San Antonio in the second game of a back-to-back. … Dallas (14-11) has won four of its last five games as the Mavericks defeated Orlando 101-76 on Monday night at home. … The Suns and Mavericks haven’t played since Phoenix defeated Dallas 121-100 in the season opener when Devin Booker returned from the injury to his right shooting hand to score 35 points with 19 coming in the fourth quarter. … Rookie point guard Luka Doncic, the third overall pick in the 2018 draft, leads Dallas in scoring with 17.8 point per game and is averaging 6.7 rebounds and 4.3 assists while Suns rookie Deandre Ayton, the No. 1 overall pick, leads the Suns in rebounding (10.2) and is averaging 15.8 points per game while shooting 59.8 percent from the field.

https://www.azcentral.com/story/spo...ut-spurs-losing-streak-reaches-10/2285037002/

https://www.azcentral.com/story/spo...-robert-sarvers-bluff-moving-team/2293530002/

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm looking forward more to watching a full game from Doncic than another 20 point beating from the Suns.

That's sad.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Suns president and CEO Jason Rowley says there has been no threat to move the Suns on Burns and Gambo.

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
There is a recording of the interview on Arizona Sports 98.7 FM with Suns president and CEO Jason Rowley.

The Suns have reaffirmed their commitment to Downtown Phoenix:

“We have learned that a request has been made to continue the agenda item on the arena renovation until a council meeting on Jan. 23,” said Suns president and CEO Jason Rowley in a statement. “We very much look forward to publicly discussing the many ways in which Talking Stick Resort Arena benefits Downtown Phoenix and our community at large, and answering any questions the Council and their constituents may have about the arena and the proposed renovation.

“Our priority remains being in Downtown Phoenix long-term, and we’re excited about the opportunity that lies ahead.”

http://arizonasports.com/story/1767...ntown-talking-stick-resort-arena-vote-pushed/

Last edited:

1Sun

ASFN Addict
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Suns president and CEO Jason Rowley says there has been no threat to move the Suns on Burns and Gambo.

What is he supposed to say? With the vote postponed 6 weeks and 5 public meetings now on the agenda, the Suns are very much in damage control mode.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
This is from an article by Laurie Roberts at azcentral:

Commence the showdown between the city and Suns owner Robert Sarver, who on Tuesday evening called a council member and said he would take the team to Seattle or Las Vegas if the arena deal doesn't go through.

"Sarver’s talking about moving," the council member told me. "He basically told me the team will go (if they don't get a renovated arena). Vegas and Seattle were the two he talked about."

City Manger Ed Zuercher confirmed that Suns officials have mentioned the possibility of leaving.

“I don’t consider it a threat," he said. "They’ve talked about what their options are. Robert has never has threatened me. He’s mentioned that there are other cities that are looking for NBA teams."

by Laurie Roberts, Arizona Republic Published 8:11 a.m. MT Dec. 12, 2018 | Updated 4:46 p.m. MT Dec. 12, 2018

https://www.azcentral.com/story/opi...uns-arena-deal-michael-nowakowski/2287692002/

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
This is from an article by Laurie Roberts at azcentral:

Commence the showdown between the city and Suns owner Robert Sarver, who on Tuesday evening called a council member and said he would take the team to Seattle or Las Vegas if the arena deal doesn't go through.

"Sarver’s talking about moving," the council member told me. "He basically told me the team will go (if they don't get a renovated arena). Vegas and Seattle were the two he talked about."

City Manger Ed Zuercher confirmed that Suns officials have mentioned the possibility of leaving.

“I don’t consider it a threat," he said. "They’ve talked about what their options are. Robert has never has threatened me. He’s mentioned that there are other cities that are looking for NBA teams."

by Laurie Roberts, Arizona Republic Published 8:11 a.m. MT Dec. 12, 2018 | Updated 4:46 p.m. MT Dec. 12, 2018

https://www.azcentral.com/story/opi...uns-arena-deal-michael-nowakowski/2287692002/

So basically it's a non-threat threat.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
After trying to put down this information down correctly, I realized basketball is not as much fun as it used to be.

As a fellow optimist, when it gets that way for me I just tune out all the noise and simply watch the Suns play. They aren't good, that's obvious and an understatement, but if you watch them every game you'll see reasons for hope. That hope goes away though when you're inundated by all the other distractions about this franchise.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
As a fellow optimist, when it gets that way for me I just tune out all the noise and simply watch the Suns play. They aren't good, that's obvious and an understatement, but if you watch them every game you'll see reasons for hope. That hope goes away though when you're inundated by all the other distractions about this franchise.

I know exactly what you are talking about.

What happened to me years ago, fans were invited to watch the Suns practice for free in the summer. I used to attend the workouts at noon and in the evening. It was thrilling to be so close to the coaches and players without the commercialization of the game. I thought it was often a shame to keep score.

When I watch the Suns play today I try to re-enter that world and enjoy the same experience... that I am still watching those young players practice and figure out who will be a success. Jeff Hornacek and Cedric Ceballos were two of those players.

sunsfan88

ASFN Icon
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
I’m excited to hear Charles Barkley’s comments of this whole fiasco tomorrow during the Inside the NBA show.

sunsfan88

ASFN Icon
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
After trying to put down this information down correctly, I realized basketball is not as much fun as it used to be.
Our best hope is for a new owner. Whether or not it happens is up in the air.

I’ve said it before but I would celebrate Sarver selling the team as if the team won a championship. I have a lot of family and friends in Phoenix still and many have told me over the years that if Sarver sells the team or passes away, there would definitely be a small parade/party in downtown Phoenix with most local businesses all participating in it.

I truly believe that Sarver selling the team would have a bigger impact on this franchise than drafting Booker or Ayton or even winning the lottery again for the next draft.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score

I’ve said it before but I would celebrate Sarver selling the team as if the team won a championship. I have a lot of family and friends in Phoenix still and many have told me over the years that if Sarver sells the team or passes away, there would definitely be a small parade/party in downtown Phoenix with most local businesses all participating in it.

I truly believe that Sarver selling the team would have a bigger impact on this franchise than drafting Booker or Ayton or even winning the lottery again for the next draft.

I agree. This is the Suns best hope.

The reason many posters (including myself) gave McDonough such latitude, is the hope he would be a successful GM and Sarver would listen to him. Sadly none of that worked out as hoped.

1Sun

ASFN Addict
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score

I can state unequivocally that there is a greater chance the team gets moved out of Phoenix or that the NBA intervenes than there is that there will be a new owner.

BC867

Long time Phoenician!
Reaction score
I agree. This is the Suns best hope.

The reason many posters (including myself) gave McDonough such latitude, is the hope he would be a successful GM and Sarver would listen to him. Sadly none of that worked out as hoped.

Sarver is in it for the fame and fortune. He is not a basketball man. And, as we have seen, not an Arizona man anymore.

I guess he is not in it for adoration of the fans either. Otherwise, he would have gotten the message by now.

Some people live by the philosophy, "Bad publicity is better than none at all." Or, "If you can't be good, be the best bad you can be."

Sadly, Robert Sarver fits that stereotype. It reeks of insecurity. And the fans are the victims.

taz02

All Star
Reaction score
There is zero question that Sarver is in it for the money and fame as are every other owner and player. No one is doing this for free, out of love for the game. It's a business period. That's not to say that some players and owners don't love what they do, but money and by extension fame is the priority.

The key is to find leaders and players that are committed to winning as much as they are to making money. This is where the suns are screwed.

As fans it's just a game, fun to watch when they are good and interesting to watch when they are bad and trying to be good again. For me if the team becomes un fun or uninteresting I do something else.

I have no doubt Sarver threatened/suggested moving the team as a way to assert leverage and it blew up in his face when it became public. If he hadn't said that, he himself would have been on 98.7.

Once that threat was put forth and out in the public the politicians realized it moved the fans/public to their side and they decided public hearings might not be a bad idea after all.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It looks like Eric Moreland may get some action tonight. The Suns can always use more energy upfront.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Maybe the Suns are shopping for better deals as Ariza is expected to start.

1Sun

ASFN Addict
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Maybe the Suns are shopping for better deals as Ariza is expected to start.

It was reported that the deal with the Lakers fell through. I hope the Suns don't blink there.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Beagleperson