Mavericks @ Suns 12-13-18

1Sun

ASFN Addict
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Everyone needs to be prepared that the Suns do absolutely nothing before the trade deadline this year.

Well, considering that they have a front office that is at best dysfunctional and at worst not functioning at all...

devilalum

Heavily Redacted
Reaction score
No, I would bet my house that the Suns will trade Ariza by the deadline. He wants out. The Suns don’t want him and other teams do. They’ll make some sort of crappy deal to shop him out.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
No, I would bet my house that the Suns will trade Ariza by the deadline. He wants out. The Suns don’t want him and other teams do. They’ll make some sort of crappy deal to shop him out.

Allegedly, teams want him. He may simply be a "nice to have" and not a "need".

1Sun

ASFN Addict
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score

My guess is he ends up going to the Lakers, either straight up for Kentavious Caldwell-Pope, Ivica Zubac and a second round pick or else in a three team trade with Houston, where the Lakers get Ariza, the Rockets get Kentavious Caldwell-Pope and the Suns get Eric Gordon.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Banned from P+R
Reaction score

I think the Suns trade Ariza for something or make another trade because of all the bad publicity about the arena.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Allegedly, teams want him. He may simply be a "nice to have" and not a "need".

They want him. The question IMO is, do they really want him or are they bargain shopping? I have no idea what the market will be if the world finds out we want the kind of value a 15 million dollar a year player on an expiring deal usually carries.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Do we want to trade Ariza if the return is in the KCP plus a bad pick range?

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
They want him. The question IMO is, do they really want him or are they bargain shopping? I have no idea what the market will be if the world finds out we want the kind of value a 15 million dollar a year player on an expiring deal usually carries.
We're a desperate team. There will either be no trade or a trade that doesn't benefit us. Book it. At some point, the expiring becomes an asset for us just as much as it would for another team.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Banned from P+R
Reaction score
PJ Tucker fetched a couple of second round picks in trade but he was on a reasonable contract. I don't think this is what the Suns are looking for.

BC867

Long time Phoenician!
Reaction score
No, we need NBA talent, not another G-Leaguer with high energy masquerading as an NBA player.
Short term, I'm hoping that Moreland will be a welcome addition to the front court, which may allow for Ayton and Holmes to play together, by having another big to come off the bench. A role that Bender and Anderson have failed at.

Why are you giving up on it before it begins? If it works, great! If not, what have we lost? It is not like the Suns are fighting for a playoff spot.

1Sun

ASFN Addict
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
I'm hoping that Moreland will be a welcome addition to the front court, which may allow for Ayton and Holmes to play together, by having another big to come off the bench. A role that Bender and Anderson have failed at.

Why are you giving up on it before it begins? If it works, great! If not, what have we lost? It is not like the Suns are fighting for a playoff spot.

If it works out, great, but I think it is a stretch to say we "need" a player like this. What we need is an NBA level head coach and more NBA level talent, not infinite flyers on G-Leaguers with the prayer that one or more somehow eventually translate into actual NBA players. Moreland has already proved not to have NBA level talent, so if it works, it will be a surprise. I don't want to see us do at power forward this year what we did at point guard last year.

BC867

Long time Phoenician!
Reaction score
If it works out, great, but I think it is a stretch to say we "need" a player like this. What we need is an NBA level head coach and more NBA level talent, not infinite flyers on G-Leaguers with the prayer that one or more somehow eventually translate into actual NBA players. Moreland has already proved not to have NBA level talent, so if it works, it will be a surprise. I don't want to see us do at power forward this year what we did at point guard last year.
I agree with you . . . but an NBA level Head Coach and more NBA level talent are not happening now. Bender and Anderson are not helping as power backups. Moreland could be a band-aid.

1Sun

ASFN Addict
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
I agree with you . . . but an NBA level Head Coach and more NBA level talent are not happening now. Bender and Anderson are not helping as power backups. Moreland could be a band-aid.

Perhaps...in the same sense that Mike James, Isaiah Canaan and Shaquille Harrison were band-aids last year. We need to fall out of this self-destructive pattern and bring in actual NBA level talent.

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I know exactly what you are talking about.

What happened to me years ago, fans were invited to watch the Suns practice for free in the summer. I used to attend the workouts at noon and in the evening. It was thrilling to be so close to the coaches and players without the commercialization of the game. I thought it was often a shame to keep score.

When I watch the Suns play today I try to re-enter that world and enjoy the same experience... that I am still watching those young players practice and figure out who will be a success. Jeff Hornacek and Cedric Ceballos were two of those players.

If you're feeling burnt out on the team and need help focusing on just the game without the noise I'd recommend going to a game. You can get tickets for pretty cheap now. Last I looked they had lower bowl for $40 a piece. I grabbed some for the first row in the upper bowl for $14 a piece for a game in February. I try to go at least once a year and I find I can get into it more while there. Being blown out sucks but I haven't had to witness that in person yet. I think the worst loss I've seen live was 9 points. A night at the arena with fans enjoying the experience can be a lot of fun and if you go to a weeknight game it's almost all diehard fans there, which make it better IMO.

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Do we want to trade Ariza if the return is in the KCP plus a bad pick range?

I doubt KCP would accept a trade to Phoenix. He won't see a lot of playing time here and it's unlikely he would be able to raise his stock headed into free agency this summer. He has veto powers on any deal so he can choose his destination to a certain extent. Since his agent is Rich Paul, I doubt he'd be fine with coming here to be a reserve.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Banned from P+R
Reaction score
If you're feeling burnt out on the team and need help focusing on just the game without the noise I'd recommend going to a game. You can get tickets for pretty cheap now. Last I looked they had lower bowl for $40 a piece. I grabbed some for the first row in the upper bowl for $14 a piece for a game in February. I try to go at least once a year and I find I can get into it more while there. Being blown out sucks but I haven't had to witness that in person yet. I think the worst loss I've seen live was 9 points. A night at the arena with fans enjoying the experience can be a lot of fun and if you go to a weeknight game it's almost all diehard fans there, which make it better IMO.

Unfortunately I live to far away to attend Suns games. I will always follow the Suns on televsion, volume or not, as long as they stay in Arizona. Appreciate the information though.

Watching games live is always a way better experience.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I doubt KCP would accept a trade to Phoenix. He won't see a lot of playing time here and it's unlikely he would be able to raise his stock headed into free agency this summer. He has veto powers on any deal so he can choose his destination to a certain extent. Since his agent is Rich Paul, I doubt he'd be fine with coming here to be a reserve.

That really was not my question. Will we (or, should we) move Ariza if the return is basically a player we do not want plus a very low value pick (2nd rounder, bottom of first)? But now I have another question, why in the world did I ask that question about Ariza in the Dallas game day thread?

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
That really was not my question. Will we (or, should we) move Ariza if the return is basically a player we do not want plus a very low value pick (2nd rounder, bottom of first)? But now I have another question, why in the world did I ask that question about Ariza in the Dallas game day thread?

It seems like someone mentioned trading Ariza here after news came out he was playing and this turned into another "Trade Ariza" type thread. You didn't start it, so take some comfort in that. I didn't realize that it was the Mavericks game thread until you mentioned that. I know you weren't suggesting it as something you wanted to happen but I thought I'd throw it out there since it's unlikely to happen, which is a good thing, IMO. Bringing back KCP for Ariza isn't a deal worth doing, even if it were possible, thankfully Rich Paul will probably save us from ourselves in that regard.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score

might as well get us talking about something besides us likely being down by 20 in the first half again... which has happened in every nationally televised game that I have had to DVR and watch later, only to get a vomit text from Ouchie, spoiling the game and saving me 2 hours of watching it into the wee-hours of the night?

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Banned from P+R
Reaction score
Okay. A couple of feel good tweets.

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

A different photo might make me feel better. LOL

Last edited: