Lions LT Jeff Backus retiring is a big deal for the Cardinals...

pacman

Veteran
Reaction score
The Lions lost their starting LT Jeff Backus to retirement. They have yet to pick up a LT and I'm not sure if they will. Unfortunately for the Cardinals, it is very likely that they could take Fisher or Joeckel in the draft. So when the Cardinals get to pick, the best LT on the board could be Lane Johnson from Oklahoma who is not as complete of a LT as Fisher or Joeckel. My guess is the Cards will go with Chance Warmack in the draft which isn't a bad pick by any means but if the Cards want to get an OT high in the draft, they are caught in a difficult spot.

gmabel830

It's football season!!
Reaction score
Or they could just slide Riley Reiff, who they drafted in the first round last year, over there?

They did lose Cherilus in free agency, so I think they need a tackle - but not necessarily in the 1st round.

john h

LEGACY MEMBER
Reaction score
The Lions lost their starting LT Jeff Backus to retirement. They have yet to pick up a LT and I'm not sure if they will. Unfortunately for the Cardinals, it is very likely that they could take Fisher or Joeckel in the draft. So when the Cardinals get to pick, the best LT on the board could be Lane Johnson from Oklahoma who is not as complete of a LT as Fisher or Joeckel. My guess is the Cards will go with Chance Warmack in the draft which isn't a bad pick by any means but if the Cards want to get an OT high in the draft, they are caught in a difficult spot.

If Warmack is not near being the BPA then perhaps we need to rethink what position we draft. You really cannot go wrong with a strong pass rusher if there is one rated higher than any OT that are available. We need a QB more than anything but apparently are not going to draft one because they are not good enough. The same should apply to an OT. I saw several draft boards that had a team taking Fisher ahead of us. I also saw Warmack falling to 10 or 12. There could be a move by KC to trade down for multiple players and who knows what any team trading with them might want. The reality is what and who we want just may not be available and can change a couple of times between now the draft. If the two best OT are gone and we have the choice of any QB do we take one? You got me on that?

Shane

Current STAR
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Thank god. More of a chance we take the Qb at # 7 if there :)

OP
OP
pacman

pacman

Veteran
Reaction score
If Warmack is not near being the BPA then perhaps we need to rethink what position we draft. You really cannot go wrong with a strong pass rusher if there is one rated higher than any OT that are available. We need a QB more than anything but apparently are not going to draft one because they are not good enough. The same should apply to an OT. I saw several draft boards that had a team taking Fisher ahead of us. I also saw Warmack falling to 10 or 12. There could be a move by KC to trade down for multiple players and who knows what any team trading with them might want. The reality is what and who we want just may not be available and can change a couple of times between now the draft. If the two best OT are gone and we have the choice of any QB do we take one? You got me on that?
Yea I feel like if Fisher and Joeckel are taken ahead of us, the Cards will either draft Warmack or just go for another position.

Quinn McCollum

Veteran
Reaction score
Or they could just slide Riley Reiff, who they drafted in the first round last year, over there?

They did lose Cherilus in free agency, so I think they need a tackle - but not necessarily in the 1st round.

Riley Reiff is far and above a better fit at RT then he is at LT.

I for one never thought the lions would taken any other player then Fisher.

Jetstream Green

Kool Aid with a touch of vodka
Reaction score

I think it changes nothing for the Lions due to the fact they knew Backus was up there in age and on the verge of one day not being there in the near future. OTs are valuable and there happens to be a couple of potential studs in this one and I doubt it changes the Lion's draft philosophy of what they already knew going in.

D-Dogg

A Whole New World
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Thank god. More of a chance we take the Qb at # 7 if there :)

NO! If we take one of those crapperbacks with pick 7 I am driving to vegas and kicking you in your Lt. Dangle shorts-wearing crotch.

Please stop this insanity.