Is Kyler Murray the answer at QB for next year and beyond?

ASUCHRIS

ONE HEART BEAT!!!
Reaction score
The things this stupid team does to all of us. It often boils down to "how incompetent are we really?", rinse and repeat.

Arz101

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Good enough but not good enough to ever carry a bad team.

The summarized version of where Murray is.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
Purdy is a function of the 9ers greatness right now, not a cause. Put 17 other NFL starters in his spot and they are probably around the same record or maybe even better. I'm not even convinced that Deshaun Watson wouldn't play as well or better because of how QB friendly the system is. I felt puzzled watching Goff struggle under the McVay system because he is pretty talented and the McVay system is really similar to the Shanahan system.

The more I think of it, the more I'm actually kind of annoyed that the Cardinals didn't go after a Shanahan system disciple with last year's hire.
Got it. So record counts for shanahan but not for Purdy.

And deshaun Watson?!? You’re weakening your argument with every statement.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Here’s my thing with the Purdy’s just a game manager folks… he’s barely even started a full season of football. Even if he was just a “game manager”, how many other 7th round QBs can come in their first year and go 8-0. And before you answer that, try and remember that when Brock took over, that team was only 5-4 before he started. The ability to come in to a high pressure situation and be a steady hand IMMEDIATELY, but also go on to help sail the boat to new heights, as a rookie no less, is unheard of… especially for the last pick in the entire draft!

EVERYONE here totally wrote the Niners off when he took the reins. And yet he not only kept the Niners in it, the team played MUCH better the moment he took over. And then, despite the Niners having “an all-star team around Purdy” they cratered horrifically in the playoffs the SECOND he got injured. That wasn’t all because he got injured but it sure as hell didn’t help. They immediately became a total train wreck.

And what happened when he got injured? People here were saying he was probably done for THIS season.

But… he wasn’t done. He came back from the injury and despite there being a lot of tape on him from last season, he was even better this season than he was last season.

None of that is the hallmark of just a game manager. Those are qualities of a really good young QB, IMO. Maybe not MVP, but to be able to handle that kind of pressure, having that kind of poise, not making mistakes and making the absolute best of opportunities given is impressive for any QB. And again, this all happened IMMEDIATELY as a 7th round rookie.

Last edited:

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score
Got it. So record counts for shanahan but not for Purdy.
It's called prove it. It's called Purdy has a better supporting cast than 99.7% of QBs in NFL history. Few players have had Pro Bowlers at every skill position and an All Pro LT.
And deshaun Watson?!? You’re weakening your argument with every statement.
I've seen Watson produce better than Purdy with much less in the past.

slanidrac16

ASFN Icon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Here’s my thing with the Purdy’s just a game manager folks… he’s barely even started a full season of football. Even if he was just a “game manager”, how many other 7th round QBs can come in their first year and go 8-0. And before you answer that, try and remember that when Brock took over, that team was only 5-4 before he started? The ability to come in to an high pressure situation and be a steady hand IMMEDIATELY, but also going on to help sail the boat to new heights, as a rookie no less, is unheard of… especially for the last pick in the entire draft!

EVERYONE here totally wrote the Niners off when he took the reins. And yet he not only kept the Niners in it, the team played MUCH better the moment he took over. And then, despite the Niners having “an all-star team around Purdy” they cratered horrifically in the playoffs the SECOND he got injured. That wasn’t all because he got injured but it sure as hell didn’t help. They immediately became a total train wreck.

And what happened when he got injured? People here were saying he was probably done for THIS season.

But… he wasn’t done. He came back from the injury and despite there being a lot of tape on him from last season, he was even better this season than he was last season.

None of that is the hallmark of just a game manager. Those are qualities of a really good young QB, IMO. Maybe not MVP, but to be able to handle that kind of pressure, having that kind of poise, not making mistakes and making the absolute best of opportunities given is impressive for any QB. And again, this all happened IMMEDIATELY as a 7th round rookie.
Who could argue this?

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Trade Kyler to the Vikings. They have the weapons where he might stand a chance. He can just throw it up to Jefferson all game.

Time to move on.

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

DVontel

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Trade Kyler to the Vikings. They have the weapons where he might stand a chance. He can just throw it up to Jefferson all game.

Time to move on.

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media
A lot of dumb reasoning here.

DVontel

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
“You’re not going to be ready to compete for the next couple years”

Lmao what’s the point of the rookie contract if it’s going to take us the duration of the rookie’s contract to be competitive? I already said it’s an overrated talking point & stuff like that proves my point even more.

“Trade him to a team that’s competitive” Isn’t that what we should be striving to be after this season??

HoodieBets

Formerly azcardsfan1616
Reaction score

Lmao what’s the point of the rookie contract if it’s going to take us the duration of the rookie’s contract to be competitive? I already said it’s an overrated talking point & stuff like that proves my point even more.

“Trade him to a team that’s competitive” Isn’t that what we should be striving to be after this season??
You have it backwards. What’s the point of a $40m+ QB if we aren’t going to be competitive. Use the savings of a rookie contract to spend money on the other positions of need. Then we can either extend the QB or be in the niners position where we have everything in place but the QB.

Proximo

ASFN Icon
Reaction score

It does not take multiple years to be able to compete - take the Texans this season as an example. Preseason they were picked to be one of the 5 worst teams.

It takes 2 years if you have a QB good coaching and make good personnel decisions.

DVontel

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
You have it backwards. What’s the point of a $40m+ QB if we aren’t going to be competitive.
What’s the point of being on a rookie contract if we’re not going to be competitive for the next couple of years? That’s just a complete waste of it.
Use the savings of a rookie contract to spend money on the other positions of need.
Thing is, we have A LOT of needs, so you’re basically asking the FO to buy your team through FA which never works. The best benefit of a rookie contract is to add good depth through your already established team, not buy your starters through FA.
where we have everything in place but the QB.
Which makes the most sense to keep Kyler. Acquiring blue chip talent like a MHJ, building through the draft with those premium picks, etc, to make it a more comfortable transition for the next QB after Kyler to come in.

I’ve seen you make a post about “wanting the next Herbert”, what exactly has Herbert done….? No, I’m not saying it’s his fault. What I’m saying that Herbert also got drafted to a team with dire talent/depth & a lot of names who have been overrated, Chargers failed trying to buy through the FA & now they’re currently about to go through a rebuild as well. Unless Monti somehow has some generational drafting, we’ll follow the exact Chargers path & people will stupidly question “is Maye good enough to get us over the hump?” like idiots have done with Herbert & the Chargers.

HoodieBets

Formerly azcardsfan1616
Reaction score
What’s the point of being on a rookie contract if we’re not going to be competitive for the next couple of years? That’s just a complete waste of it.

Thing is, we have A LOT of needs, so you’re basically asking the FO to buy your team through FA which never works. The best benefit of a rookie contract is to add good depth through your already established team, not buy your starters through FA.

Which makes the most sense to keep Kyler. Acquiring blue chip talent like a MHJ, building through the draft with those premium picks, etc, to make it a more comfortable transition for the next QB after Kyler to come in.

I’ve seen you make a post about “wanting the next Herbert”, what exactly has Herbert done….? No, I’m not saying it’s his fault. What I’m saying that Herbert also got drafted to a team with dire talent/depth & a lot of names who have been overrated, Chargers failed trying to buy through the FA & now they’re currently about to go through a rebuild as well. Unless Monti somehow has some generational drafting, we’ll follow the exact Chargers path & people will stupidly question “is Maye good enough to get us over the hump?” like idiots have done with Herbert & the Chargers.
In your long post you didn’t answer one question. What benefit does having a $40m QB have over someone on a rookie deal during a rebuild? You are limiting resources you could use to not just buy FA but extend the draft picks you end up hitting on. Keeping Murray is useless at his number. The FO gave themselves an out this year they should take it.

DVontel

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
What benefit does having a $40m QB have over someone on a rookie deal during a rebuild?
I made the font bigger for you so you could actually see it this time.

Stout

Hold onto the ball, Murray!
Reaction score
It does not take multiple years to be able to compete - take the Texans this season as an example. Preseason they were picked to be one of the 5 worst teams.

It takes 2 years if you have a QB good coaching and make good personnel decisions.
Exactly. This is why many were upset at Monti's indifference to rebuilding last offseason. This is also why many of us want to secure a good QB as an alternative to KM.

DVontel

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Exactly. This is why many were upset at Monti's indifference to rebuilding last offseason. This is also why many of us want to secure a good QB as an alternative to KM.
It took the Texans 3 years lol what

TheCardFan

Things have changed.
Reaction score
What is the rebuilding plan?

If it's a three year plan (starting in 2023) - then we should be a playoff team in 2025.

2023 - tear it all down and create the culture Monti/JG want (check)
2024 - Fill roster with more draft picks (building the roster/depth), drafting a couple of impact players, developing 2023 draft class, signing some solid FA's (not top level dudes).
2025 - It all comes together. More draft picks, more development, very strong roster/depth, and adding a few impact players in FA.

If this is the plan, how does Kyler (who is preforming in the middle third of all QB's but getting paid the 6th most) help this team?
Will his trade value be more now (with so many QB needy teams) or after 1-2 more years of middling performance? What if he gets injured? We are hosed (see Russell Wilson decision - who is actually playing way better than Kyler).

If the plan is to compete for the playoffs in year 2 (2024) - I find it very hard to believe.
We have WAY too many holes, no impact players, no depth, a mediocre QB, and we are in a very tough division.
IF Kyler gets us to 7-10 or 8-9 in 2024. We are back to purgatory.

The only reason it makes sense to keep Kyler is if Monti/JG think he can become Kyler of early 2021 again.

netsnjkidd

Veteran
Reaction score
It took the Texans 3 years lol what
Exactly The stingley, nico collins, etc took a couple drafts. Then they got lucky with stroud Frank reich wanted him not young.

But the built their roster up first which is the most important thing.

TheCardFan

Things have changed.
Reaction score
This is technically year 4 (they had 3 years of suckage and high draft picks).

They have also had 4 coaches in 4 years.

Edit - 5 coaches in 4 years?
Bill O'Brien
Romeo Crennel
David Culley
Lovie Smith
DeMeco Ryans

You must be registered for see images attach

Last edited:

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members