Is Kyler Murray the answer at QB for next year and beyond?

DVontel

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
That’s moving the goalposts. The question was which team would be performing better than at present, not at the same level of the niners. I agree that outside of Miami, Buffalo, Philly, Purdy wouldn’t replicate niners. But that’s because coaching and surrounding talent obviously matter.

I think if we take it back to the original question of which teams are likely better I think I’d say:

Cardinals
Seahawks
Broncos
Raiders
Bears
Giants
Commanders
Patriots
Browns
Steelers
Jaguars
Titans
Colts
Bucs
Falcons
Saints
Panthers

Maybes:
Miami (I think Purdy is superior to tua)
Jets (not sold on old man Rodgers)
Chargers (sheen is off Herbert a bit)
Vikings
Packers
Lions (though I’ve always thought goff was more talented than given credit for as well)

That’s 17 + 6 maybes
I disagree with a lot of these teams, lol. I think a majority of those teams would almost stay on the same level if you insert Purdy onto those teams.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
I still believe the intent was similar. The only difference was it not as extreme as the other. If the Kyzir & Froholdt also came off of productive seasons. You could see it as filler, but I also see it not overvaluing while they also filled positions of need. Monti just did not overvalue those guys like Lynch did with those guys.
Man I think you’re just digging in on a losing proposition. Kyzir was brought in to help install a defense. He’s the only legitimate free agent they signed. Froholdt wasn’t considered anything but an afterthought signing. He wasn’t coveted by any other teams.

You’re also ignoring the jimmy g trade in terms of determining intent.

Niners / signed attractive free agents to deals that were supposed to keep those players into the competitive years of the franchise and traded for what they believed to be their franchise qb.

Cards / signed one quality free agent to install defense and a bunch of bottom free agents to short deals. If monti had any conviction in those free agents being part of the future of the team he signs them to longer term deals.

These two things are not the same plan. Not even close.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
I disagree with a lot of these teams, lol. I think a majority of those teams would almost stay on the same level if you insert Purdy onto those teams.
Hence why you and I disagree about Purdy. That’s fine. I think I’ll be proven out like I was when the whole board called shanahan mid.

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I don’t know if y’all are related or not, but one thing you need to stop doing is kissing Ouchie’s ass when even he knows he doesn’t need it. Nothing you love doing more is hopping in a convo(especially when it comes to Ouchie & another person) & trying to pile on when you come off looking desperate in the end.

Glad Ouchie pointed it out as well.
Hard warning.

oaken1

Stone Cold
Supporting Member
Banned from P+R
Reaction score
This was the Raiders plan to make sure it was unsuccessful for 9 years with Derek Carr. It wasn’t the coaches, the injuries, the OL, the defense, the RB or the WR. It was Carr was/is a mediocre QB. Same as KM. Every year it was one more year with a new staff, a new OL..etc.
Traded for his buddy Davante Adam’s…same mediocre results. The same nonsense arguments made for Carr are being made here for KM. Now he’s in New Orleans stinking up the joint there. Took the Raiders nine years to realize next year was never coming lol.
man...as a life long member of Raider nation...I am soooo on the fence with this statement.
DC aint perfect. But Bobby Bowlcut has to be in contention for the worst owner in the nfl... that apple fell so far from the tree Im pretty sure missus Davis picked up some strange while Al was at an owners meeting.
They have had a bottom 3 defense for close to fifteen years... the ineptitude sped past totally pathetic years ago.
we complain about Mikey... but would anyone even consider trading him for Marky mark and the chunky bunch?

oaken1

Stone Cold
Supporting Member
Banned from P+R
Reaction score
Pretty much. I think the best argument against taking a QB is that you don't feel the QB who is available is a top prospect. I also feel this is the argument for drafting a QB. You feel the QB available is a top prospect.
agree. change just for the sake of change is rarely good.

downside though...is we may be drafting at 20 when the guy shows up...and have to mortgage future draft picks to go get him....in which case we better have our team built before he gets here.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
man...as a life long member of Raider nation...I am soooo on the fence with this statement.
DC aint perfect. But Bobby Bowlcut has to be in contention for the worst owner in the nfl... that apple fell so far from the tree Im pretty sure missus Davis picked up some strange while Al was at an owners meeting.
They have had a bottom 3 defense for close to fifteen years... the ineptitude sped past totally pathetic years ago.
we complain about Mikey... but would anyone even consider trading him for Marky mark and the chunky bunch?
That haircut on the Davis dude is really something else.

DVontel

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
downside though...is we may be drafting at 20 when the guy shows up...and have to mortgage future draft picks to go get him....in which case we better have our team built before he gets here.
Look at what you typed.

If we’re drafting at 20, that tells you we most likely have a well built-team.

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score
Hence why you and I disagree about Purdy. That’s fine. I think I’ll be proven out like I was when the whole board called shanahan mid.
I said Shanahan was mid because at that point he was .500. You are your record, but he has subsequently proven otherwise.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
I said Shanahan was mid because at that point he was .500. You are your record, but he has subsequently proven otherwise.
Unless your Brock Purdy? Guess you pick and choose when you want to follow a philosophy. 14-4 as a starter with fantastic statistics in his second - and only full - year starting.

slanidrac16

ASFN Icon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Unless your Brock Purdy? Guess you pick and choose when you want to follow a philosophy. 14-4 as a starter with fantastic statistics in his second - and only full - year starting.
Let’s say we added two Wr, for the sake of discussion say MHJ and Higgins and a top notch guard.
I wonder how many here would replace Murray with Purdy?

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score
Purdy is a function of the 9ers greatness right now, not a cause. Put 17 other NFL starters in his spot and they are probably around the same record or maybe even better. I'm not even convinced that Deshaun Watson wouldn't play as well or better because of how QB friendly the system is. I felt puzzled watching Goff struggle under the McVay system because he is pretty talented and the McVay system is really similar to the Shanahan system.

The more I think of it, the more I'm actually kind of annoyed that the Cardinals didn't go after a Shanahan system disciple with last year's hire.

DaHilg

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Purdy is a function of the 9ers greatness right now, not a cause. Put 17 other NFL starters in his spot and they are probably around the same record or maybe even better. I'm not even convinced that Deshaun Watson wouldn't play as well or better because of how QB friendly the system is. I felt puzzled watching Goff struggle under the McVay system because he is pretty talented and the McVay system is really similar to the Shanahan system.

The more I think of it, the more I'm actually kind of annoyed that the Cardinals didn't go after a Shanahan system disciple with last year's hire.
This 100%

PACardsFan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score

Wilks and that Niners run D were initially exposed by the Cardinals two weeks ago & the Ravens learned fast. The Cardinals don’t have the manpower on D to expose Purdy just yet, but the Ravens certainly did. If the NFC weren’t so bad, the Niners would be in trouble right now. Purdy had fear in his eyes on Monday night, as did Shanahan on the sideline. With all that talent in the front 7, Wilks had better find an answer. Otherwise, he way be looking for another job come 2024. If JG had the Niners front 7, the Cardinals would eclipse 75 sacks.