Is Dansby going to be here after next year?

Mr Rogers

A victim of the paranoid
Reaction score
Honestly I see him here. The defense seems to play much better with him in. And Graves has been trying to pay his performers as of lately.

Pace may have gotten away, but I feel that he is replaceable. I don’t have the links but the team was very high on Okeafor last training camp. If Pace did so well in his role then imagine what the one the team was hyped about would do.

Anyway, the biggest indicator of if Dansby’s status will be here will be the draft. I know that people have been advocating players that have a similar game as Dansby. I feel if the Cards draft one then the team is only looking to move laterally (or to save against the cap for the future) If a player is drafted for that position.

Anyone else have any thoughts on this?

PoolBoy

BIRDGANG
Reaction score
i realize dansby has talent, but i want to see how he does in a season where he can stay healthy. not just to see how his performance will be, but just to see if he can do it at all. i love dansby, and would love to see him resigned, but i really want to see him stay healthy.

overseascardfan

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Depends if we take a guy like Harvey, Connor, or Rivers if he falls to #16, otherwise he will be re-signed eventually.

OP
OP
Mr Rogers

Mr Rogers

A victim of the paranoid
Reaction score
but i want to see how he does in a season where he can stay healthy. not just to see how his performance will be, but just to see if he can do it at all. i love dansby, and would love to see him resigned, but i really want to see him stay healthy.

I see your point. However what he plays most of the season while he is in makes me feel he is worth the money.

Perhaps if they do draft someone that overseas suggests then maybe they are paying Dansby just for this year. Else they really feel that the Cards need a backup that plays like Dansby. Under that senerio then I can see much more unrest than there is now.

WisconsinCard

Herfin BIg Time
Reaction score
I see your point. However what he plays most of the season while he is in makes me feel he is worth the money.

Perhaps if they do draft someone that overseas suggests then maybe they are paying Dansby just for this year. Else they really feel that the Cards need a backup that plays like Dansby. Under that senerio then I can see much more unrest than there is now.

My answer to your question is I hope so. No matter who we draft we need to re-sign "LOS" to a long term contract right now. If the Cards wait I am afraid that he will play lights out and we will no long even be in the market for his services.

If CP can get the kind of dough he got (22 MIL) then "LOS" is gotta be worth more then that. He said he just wanted a little more the CP got. Well lets NIKE him...and just do it..

OP
OP
Mr Rogers

Mr Rogers

A victim of the paranoid
Reaction score
Agreed Wisconsin.

I just feel that a move made to replace him means the team is trying to replace him. And I'd rather see him be extended and play here for years to come.

IMHO if they plan to keep Dansby then it will be known after the draft.

Duckjake

LEGACY MEMBER
LEGACY MEMBER
Reaction score
i realize dansby has talent, but i want to see how he does in a season where he can stay healthy. not just to see how his performance will be, but just to see if he can do it at all. i love dansby, and would love to see him resigned, but i really want to see him stay healthy.

I wonder if San Diego fans say the same thing about Shawne Merriman?

Cbus cardsfan

Back to Back ASFN FFL Champion
Reaction score
I wonder if San Diego fans say the same thing about Shawne Merriman?
I'm going to try amd find a post i made awhile ago that Dansby has actually been MORE durable than many of the top LB's. I don't get the injury argument at all. I guess it's the same type of thinking that wanted Leonard Davis gone because his false start were "drive killers".Nevermind the fact that he played at a pro bowl level while,arguably,playing out of position.

Duckjake

LEGACY MEMBER
LEGACY MEMBER
Reaction score

Cheesebeef's post in that thread should be required reading regarding Dansby.

..... you talk about his new found durability this year, in a contract year... when in reality, he's going to have played in the same amount of games he played in last year, which was 14. Dude misses an average of 1.5 games a year. That's not a guy who's got "injury problems". Q is a guy who has injury problems, hayes was a guy who had injury problems before he signed, Dansby isn't one of those guys in comparison.

as far as him playing his best in a contract year and that he's never put up back to back good seasons, this is completely and utterly untrue.

in his first year as a rookie, he put up 61 tackles, 5 sacks, 1 int and 1 ff. Promising numbers for a second round pick splitting time, no? he played in 15 games.

In year two, he put 89 tackles, 4 sacks, 3 int., 2 ff. now as a full time starter, his numbers went up and what do you know? he played in 15 games.

in year three, he was dinged up, but still came to play, and even though he was in denny's doghouse at the beginning of the season and wrongly on the benhc behind pace, he still ended up playing 14 games, putting up 82 tackles, 8 sacks, and 2 ff.

Then you have his play this year, his fourth in the league, again, playing his average number of games and putting his full package together and you know why that is? because he keeps getting better. it's not as if he never did anything his first three years and then was a revelation this year. he's ALWAYS been the main playmaker on this defense and the fact that he's gotten better as he's gotten more years in the league is what YOU WANT TO SEE FROM YOUR PLAYERS. Especially if it's a gradual thing, as opposed to a one year wonder like Pace, who never did anything and has all of a sudden started playing well.

the above thinking and rod graves comments about incentive clauses is what concerns me. the cardinals started a negative pr campaign against this kid last season and people i can't believe people are buying it hook line and sinker. the fact that they're still talking about his durability leads me to believe this will get ugly.

bg7brd

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Dansby is a playmaker. Let's sign him and draft some more.

40yearfan

DEFENSE!!!!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Cheesebeef's post in that thread should be required reading regarding Dansby.

From Cheesebeef's post:

the above thinking and rod graves comments about incentive clauses is what concerns me. the cardinals started a negative pr campaign against this kid last season and people i can't believe people are buying it hook line and sinker. the fact that they're still talking about his durability leads me to believe this will get ugly.

I don't recall the Cardinals having a negative campaign against Dansby last season or anyone in the Cards organization talking about his durability. Cheese, are you talking about people on this board or people in the Cards organization?

Duckjake

LEGACY MEMBER
LEGACY MEMBER
Reaction score
From Cheesebeef's post:

I don't recall the Cardinals having a negative campaign against Dansby last season or anyone in the Cards organization talking about his durability. Cheese, are you talking about people on this board or people in the Cards organization?

That was 2006. Doesn't matter now.

joeshmo

Kangol Hat Aficionado
Reaction score
From Cheesebeef's post:

The only person that I can recal publiclly bashing Dansby that is even remotely involved with the organization is Wolf.

As for the question at hand. I think he does end up staying here. I think he accepts a similar deal to that of the Lofa Tatupu deal and he will be happy about it. He is only talking about wanting more the Paces deal right now because you always start the negotiations high.

Last edited:

CardsLurker

Reaction score
I think he stays.

He plays with the Franchise tag this year. We cut Edge next year and use some of the caps saving and increased cap to sign him. We have to keep him in my opinion, I would be open to trading Dockett next year if he keeps up his shenanigans.

cardsfanmd

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I think he stays.

He plays with the Franchise tag this year. We cut Edge next year and use some of the caps saving and increased cap to sign him. We have to keep him in my opinion, I would be open to trading Dockett next year if he keeps up his shenanigans.
??? What, like busting his butt to improve.

Capital Card

The Kobayashi of Kool-Aid
Reaction score
Can you still F-tag players two years in a row? If so, Dansby will be here.

If we don't extend him before the July 15 deadline - Dansby will be gone. There is no way he doesn't test free agency if given the opportunity, especially given the money Pace just got.

Go Cards!!!

joeshmo

Kangol Hat Aficionado
Reaction score

There is no limit to how many times you can use the franchise tag. But if you do it a 3rd time you have to pay 120% of the previous years salary or the top 5 average salary of the QB position no matter what position your guy plays he gets paid like a top 5 QB. Which ever amount is higher.

Dansbys franchise tag amount for next year will be just under 10 Mill.

Redheart

Stack 'em up!
Reaction score

If we don't extend him before the July 15 deadline - Dansby will be gone. There is no way he doesn't test free agency if given the opportunity, especially given the money Pace just got.

Go Cards!!!

Maybe Dansby wants to get to FA? $$$$?

Capital Card

The Kobayashi of Kool-Aid
Reaction score
Maybe Dansby wants to get to FA? $$$$?

Dansby is only 26 this season, so this contract is his best shot for a pay-day to set him up for life as he will cross the 30 threshold next time around.

I think he should do everything possible for a new deal this year because the longer he waits, the older he gets; thus, lowering the value of his next contract.

If he puts himself in a position to where he has to play the next year or two on one year deals, he reduces the oportunity for another payday - assuming he can stay healthy and play at a high level.

You're right though, if he is bound and determined to get to FA, there is almost nothing we can do to keep him as I don't see us ponying up the cash to outbid everyone.

Go Cards!!!

Last edited:

Cbus cardsfan

Back to Back ASFN FFL Champion
Reaction score
Why do i get the feeling that Rod Graves is banking on Dansby getting hurt this year? There's nothing really to support my thinking but,to me, it just seems like that is the case. Maybe it's because they gambled that Fitz wouldn't hit his escalators.Maybe this time they're gambling that Dansby gets injured.

WisconsinCard

Herfin BIg Time
Reaction score
Dansby is only 26 this season, so this contract is his best shot for a pay-day to set him up for life as he will cross the 30 threshold next time around.

I think he should do everything possible for a new deal this year because the longer he waits, the older he gets; thus, lowering the value of his next contract.

If he puts himself in a position to where he has to play the next year or two on one year deals, he reduces the oportunity for another payday - assuming he can stay healthy and play at a high level.
You're right though, if he is bound and determined to get to FA, there is almost nothing we can do to keep him as I don't see us ponying up the cash to outbid everyone.

Go Cards!!!

The bolded part above means everything. If he keeps playing for one year F/tags then he not only reduces his chances of getting 2 big pay days, he is also risking never getting one at all, if he were to suffer a career ending injury.

Stout

Hold onto the ball, Murray!
Reaction score
Good points in the last two posts. It's really in his best interest to get a long-term deal worked out with us. I think he opened the door for that, too, when he mentioned he's looking for a little more than what Pace made. I think Graves should be doing his damndest to get a deal done, too.