Insider - Scouting report on the Suns vs Lakers

sunsfn

Reaction score
Updated: April 21, 2006, 11:42 PM ET

Scouting report: Lakers vs. Suns

You must be registered for see images
The Phoenix Suns represent the equivalent of basketball Xanadu in the NBA. It seems like no matter what player ends up playing for Mike D'Antoni and alongside Steve Nash they will have the best years of their career. Despite the loss of Amare Stoudemire, one of the best big men in the NBA, the Suns still won 54 games. The Suns still play at the fastest pace of any team in the NBA, the Los Angeles Lakers play at whatever pace Kobe Bryant wants.

Point Guard: Steve Nash vs. Smush Parker

Suns: Nash is having another career year after winning the MVP last season. He along with six of his teammates are averaging career highs in points this year. Nash is such a dangerous passer that defenders constantly play back on their heels; he is like a great running back that you are afraid to tackle. He is also hitting 44 percent of his three pointers, good for sixth best in the league.

Lakers: Smush Parker was never supposed to be a starting point guard in the NBA. After one season playing major minutes with the Lakers, he has at least proved he belongs in the league. None of his basketball skills are very special: Half of his shots are three-point attempts. He is third on his team in assists, but that has more to do with his teammates needing the basketball to start their own offense.

Advantage: Suns

Shooting Guard: Raja Bell vs. Kobe Bryant

Suns: Raja Bell has to be excited about matching up with Bryant defensively. Bell's fierce and sometimes nasty attitude have made him a nice addition to a team that has always been thought of as soft on defense. Bell really has thrived in Phoenix' offensive system, where his three-point shot accuracy is a career-high 44 percent.

Lakers: Bryant is probably the most difficult player to defend in the NBA. Bryant uses great athleticism, shooting touch and creativity with the dribble to put on an offensive show every night he plays. He can finish around the basket with taller players around him, he splits a double team with his dribble better than anyone, and he is an extreme competitor. As great as he is, some nights his me-first attitude works … other nights it doesn't. He has taken a small step back this season as a defender.
Advantage: Lakers

Small Forward: Tim Thomas vs. Lamar Odom

Suns: Tim Thomas will never win the NBA's best attitude award, but he has turned a terrible situation in Chicago into a great opportunity in Phoenix. In 26 games with Phoenix (starting the last 6), Thomas has used his guard skills in a power forward body to provide another difficult matchup for Suns' opponents. He can pull up off the dribble or in transition, or post up smaller defenders. On most teams, Thomas would be a horrible addition, but for Phoenix it works.

Lakers: Lamar Odom is one of the most versatile big men in the league. He plays with a point guard mentality; he leads the Lakers with 5.5 apg. The problem with Odom is that he not assertive enough offensively and with his style of play he constantly needs the basketball, not to shoot, but create. On defense, Odom might have to use his quickness against Marion, or at least try.
Advantage: Lakers

Power Forward: Shawn Marion vs. Luke Walton

Suns: Shawn Marion has somehow gone from a player who was overrated to one of the more underrated players in the league. Marion has tremendous athleticism that makes him a perfect partner in transition with Nash. He has a quick, awkward release that works well from 3-point or mid range. He has posted great rebounding totals the last two years for someone listed at 6 feet, 7 inches tall. He is able to guard both forward positions.

Lakers: Luke Walton has moved into the starting lineup this month, replacing Brian Cook. He can pass, run the triangle offense and get the ball inside to Brown in scoring position. He splits time at the position with Cook.

Center: Boris Diaw vs. Kwame Brown

Suns: Boris Diaw is one of the least likely players to play the center position in the NBA. His greatest attribute is his passing, at one point Diaw was thought to be too unselfish but he has fit perfectly with the Suns. When he goes to the basket he never seems to give up on the idea of making one last pass and his teammates look to benefit from that. Diaw has started to take more outside shots, which will make his game that much harder to defend. Diaw is not really a player in the middle that will change shots, but he is active and will beat most centers down the court.

Lakers: Kwame Brown has improved as the season has progressed. His scoring, rebounding, assists and field-goal shooting percentages all are up in the second half of the season. Brown has a bad tendency of floating at times: He will forget to make a cut, or lose his man on defense. You just realize he might never really "get it." Laker teammates have been reluctant to pass to him during games because of his passiveness and the fact he can't hold onto the ball.

Bench
Phoenix: The Suns replace firepower with more firepower, Leandro Barbosa, James Jones and Eddie House all play uptempo, love shooting and can all handle the ball. Barbosa is no Nash, but he is very underrated in how he is able to keep the Suns running when Nash is not in the game. Brian Grant adds some size, but no scoring; a team should make him shoot if they can. The key to this bench for the future of these playoffs for the Sums will be whether they get Kurt Thomas back. He is on the playoff roster but still dealing with rehabbing a broken foot.

Los Angeles: The Lakers' bench rotation is a little tougher to figure out. There doesn't seem to be a consistent usage pattern.Brian Cook has the size to be a power forward but his game is mostly away from the basket, looking to take jump shots. He doesn't rebound well. He can't hurt you with his passing and on defense he plays a little too upright to guard smaller players. Cook will not sleep much this series if he has to stay with Marion.
Sasha Vujacic backs up the point and his job seems to be miss as many open shots as possible. Devean George, Jim Jackson and Ronny Turiaf all play inconsistent minutes. George will probably be relied on more because of his experience and Chris Mihm is back from injury to offer some size in the middle.

Coaching: Mike D'Antoni vs. Phil Jackson

Phoenix: D'Antoni has made defensive coaches cringe and long distance shooters crave playing his style of "controlled chaos" basketball. The Suns are the top 3-point shooting team in the NBA and the team policy is that you lose minutes if you don't shoot. That is why a guy like Tim Thomas can fit into this system. D'Antoni fights for his players. Forget about defense: He won't need that until the second round.

Los Angeles: Jackson is a perfect coach for Bryant and the Lakers: He fits in well with "love him or hate him" feeling of his star and his team. This season is Jackson's most impressive coaching job yet. This average talent squad was thought to be controlled by Bryant but Jackson has gotten this team to win down the stretch playing more team basketball. The challenge for Jackson will be to continue to get Bryant to buy into sharing the ball if things go bad early in the series.

Advantage: Even

Prediction

The Lakers are the best possible first-round opponent for the Suns. At no point this season has Los Angeles shown that it can play and win matching the fast-paced play of Phoenix. There is no big man on the Lakers' front line that will make the Suns have to change what they do best and that is score. The only bad shot in the Suns' offense is the shot that you don't take. All of D'Antoni's players love him for it. As great as Bryant is and knowing that he is good for at least two 40-point games, it will not work in a seven- game series.
Pick: Phoenix Suns in five games

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
It's about time....

This has to be the most accurate outlook on this series that I have seen anyone write in the media. I am shocked this came from espn.

az1965

Love Games!
Reaction score
As great as he is, some nights his me-first attitude works … other nights it doesn't. He has taken a small step back this season as a defender.
It's good to see that this fact is also acknowledged... and that too by ESPN!

az1965

Love Games!
Reaction score
kingdad said:
This has to be the most accurate outlook on this series that I have seen anyone write in the media. I am shocked this came from espn.
Agree. Very accurate...

SunsTzu

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Nice of him to pair Odom with Tim Thomas instead of Marion to give the Lakers an advantage at more than one position.

D-Dogg

A Whole New World
Supporting Member
Reaction score
SunsTzu said:
Nice of him to pair Odom with Tim Thomas instead of Marion to give the Lakers an advantage at more than one position.

Yeah, especially because Lamar actually plays the SF spot.

reader

Veteran
Reaction score
Sunsfn, thanks for posting the article. I was going beg for someone to post the story, you beat me to it. :D

tobiazz

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Shawn Marion has somehow gone from a player who was overrated...

Marion has never been overrated. Where do people come up with this garbage?

SunsTzu

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
D-Dogg said:
Yeah, especially because Lamar actually plays the SF spot.

Seems like Marion is playing SF when Tim Thomas starts. I'd also expect Marion to be guarding Odom if those were the line-ups. Would the Lakers really have Walton instead of Odom defend Marion?

D-Dogg

A Whole New World
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I think Odom will be guarding Nash quite a bit in this series. Just a hunch...it's the type of thing Phil likes to do...use Lamar's length to counter Nash's quickness. Interesting to see if it will work or not.

devilalum

Heavily Redacted
Reaction score
D-Dogg said:
I think Odom will be guarding Nash quite a bit in this series. Just a hunch...it's the type of thing Phil likes to do...use Lamar's length to counter Nash's quickness. Interesting to see if it will work or not.

Everytime Nash gets a big guy like Odom one on one he either blows by him or he starts to drive then does that fall to the floor rainbow fade away shot. If anybody comes to help Nash hits their guy for the wide open shot.

Nash is the key to it all. If he is at the top of his game the Suns cruise to the conference finals.

D-Dogg

A Whole New World
Supporting Member
Reaction score
devilalum said:
Everytime Nash gets a big guy like Odom one on one he either blows by him or he starts to drive then does that fall to the floor rainbow fade away shot. If anybody comes to help Nash hits their guy for the wide open shot.

Nash is the key to it all. If he is at the top of his game the Suns cruise to the conference finals.

To be honest, there aren't many big guys like Odom that are like guards in their mobility.

But you are right...Nash is key to the series. He's either limited, or he performs at MVP level. We shall see.

Last edited:

AZZenny

Reaction score
I'm impressed that they call D'Antoni and Jackson even! Quite a compliment to Coach D', which is entirely deserved I believe -- but wouldn't have expected national media to go quite that far.

SunsTzu

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
I actually think if Diaw plays well it'll take pressure off Nash having to play out of his mind.

cly2tw

Reaction score
SunsTzu said:
I actually think if Diaw plays well it'll take pressure off Nash having to play out of his mind.

Diaw has been playing well!:) Nash doesn't need to carry the whole load of directing the offense. He'd be less tired after each series. When we have KT back, even just for 20 min per game, we'll have a legitimate chance to prevail against anyone.:thumbup:

elindholm

edited for content
Reaction score
That would be smart. The league won't run the risk of fouling Bryant out, so he'll be permitted to play "very physical" defense. That's likely to hamper Nash considerably.

reader

Veteran
Reaction score
SirChaz said:
They were saying on the radio that Kobe may be guarding Nash.
In some of the LA articles it was mentioned that Kobe may, "sometimes" be guarding Nash.

Nash wouldn't be surprised if the Lakers have Bryant guard him a good share of the time. It's happened before, mainly late in games.

''That's great. It would be a great challenge,'' Nash said. ''He can do as good a job as anybody, but I've seemed to survive so far.''
http://www.nytimes.com/aponline/sports/AP-BKN-Lakers-Suns.html

D-Dogg

A Whole New World
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Renz said:
Admittedly, D-Dogg knows more about the Lakers and the NBA than I do, but that seems a bit far-fetched to me.

Phil has done things like that before.

In the 91 Finals, switching to Scottie defending Magic up and down the court was pretty much the main reason the Bulls throttled us.

Phil isn't afraid to go unconventional, and I've seen/read/heard a few rumblings that he will try Odom on Nash for a bit. That matchup intrigues me. Kobe/Nash will be interesting as well, but the one I'm most interested in is McKie/Nash. We'll see if there is anything at all that McKie can bring to the table...after being injured all year, he could be a role player that makes a difference, a' la Tyron Lue in the Lakers/Sixers Finals in 2000/2001.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ConpiracyCard