I never post.... The Real Problem

TEAMPETE

Rookie
Reaction score
I never post on this webiste but ******** it I am so pissed off right now. This game was so obvious and stupid to me. Why in the hell do we pass the ball so often tonight when St. Louis has one of the worst run defenses in the leauge???? Miller needs to be fired ASAP but this should have been done a while ago. Haley should have been brought back.

Kolb was placed on a T all night and just clobbered. Miller is such an idiot for calling so many passing plays. We should have been exploiting there horrible run D.

If we would have run the ball 40 times tonight we would have won. Eventually we would have broke through that defense. And to be honest Williams was getting decent yardage on most his runs.

This is not rocket science. Our OL is horrible and we must help them every play. We must chip with a TE or RB almost every play. It is very simple.

BTW our D played good and gave up 2 big plays which lead to TDS. Cant fault them for this.

Lastly, Kolb is a beast and has earned my respect. I truly think he is the QBOF. Just give him a gosh darn OL!!!!!!!!!!

Jetstream Green

Kool Aid with a touch of vodka
Reaction score
TEAMPETE, the reason being that our OL is so bad that no matter how bad the Ram's run defense is, we still cannot run on them. There was nothing there. This OL is that bad.

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
TEAMPETE, the reason being that our OL is so bad that no matter how bad the Ram's run defense is, we still cannot run on them. There was nothing there. This OL is that bad.

15 rushes! In a game where we were within 7 points for three quarters! Sorry, Jetstream, but you don't need to be averaging 7 YPC to keep the running game at least relevant when the score is that close.

Was the philosophy to just keep allowing Quinn and Long to hit Kolb until they got tired?

In the Cards first drive, they called 10 passes and 6 runs. Those six runs netted 20 yards. Second series we ran once for 4 yards. Next series we ran once for 4 yards. Next series we ran once for five yards (on a six-play "drive"). By my count, that's 9 rushes for 33 yards. 3.6 YPC keeps opposing defenses honest, and maybe you'll break one.

When Kolb's getting sacked this often, it's even more important that you run the ball because AT LEAST YOU'LL ONLY LOSE A COUPLE OF YARDS, and the entire OL won't be demoralized. Once Kolb takes a sack on second and 6, the run game is no longer an option.

desertdawg

ASFN Icon
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
15 rushes! In a game where we were within 7 points for three quarters! Sorry, Jetstream, but you don't need to be averaging 7 YPC to keep the running game at least relevant when the score is that close.

Was the philosophy to just keep allowing Quinn and Long to hit Kolb until they got tired?

In the Cards first drive, they called 10 passes and 6 runs. Those six runs netted 20 yards. Second series we ran once for 4 yards. Next series we ran once for 4 yards. Next series we ran once for five yards (on a six-play "drive"). By my count, that's 9 rushes for 33 yards. 3.6 YPC keeps opposing defenses honest, and maybe you'll break one.

When Kolb's getting sacked this often, it's even more important that you run the ball because AT LEAST YOU'LL ONLY LOSE A COUPLE OF YARDS, and the entire OL won't be demoralized. Once Kolb takes a sack on second and 6, the run game is no longer an option.
Yup.

Jetstream Green

Reaction score
I agree K9 but losing 3 to 4 yards at times running is what I started to see, maybe if we followed through with running it would not have gotten to that point and allowed the OL some groove to set into. I do not see any solution today. The tackles where horrendous but our interior seemed to being blown up consistently. It was frustrating.

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
I agree K9 but losing 3 to 4 yards at times running is what I started to see, maybe if we followed through with running it would not have gotten to that point and allowed the OL some groove to set into. I do not see any solution today. The tackles where horrendous but our interior seemed to being blown up consistently. It was frustrating.

Want to know how many carries we had for negative yards in the first 6 drives?

Zero carries for negative yards.

So, why didn't we run the ball more now?

Jetstream Green

Reaction score
like I said, that is what I started to see later in the game...not at the onset. I have no idea why we did not run more. I have no idea why we did not try going no huddle early on if we really thought we could throw on them to slow down the pass rush. I have no idea why we wait till our QB has suffered the effects of multiple car wrecks before we go "hey, we need to give those tackles some help." I can say with complete honesty, I do not know LOL

moklerman

Rise from the Ashes III
Reaction score
Want to know how many carries we had for negative yards in the first 6 drives?

Zero carries for negative yards.

So, why didn't we run the ball more now?
Not arguing the point about being more balanced but didn't Williams start the 2nd half with negative, negative, negative, 0, unconscious?

Pretty tough to run the ball in the 2nd half when you're top two RB's are out. Especially considering Whiz's love of rookie RB's getting playing time.

Catfish

Registered
Reaction score
Not arguing the point about being more balanced but didn't Williams start the 2nd half with negative, negative, negative, 0, unconscious?

Pretty tough to run the ball in the 2nd half when you're top two RB's are out. Especially considering Whiz's love of rookie RB's getting playing time.

Mockler-----It is simply too late to wait until the second half to establish the running game. That is what K-9 was saying. We had a fair start with the first series. Why not keep this up and really establish that we intend to run and keep running until they take it away. To do that, they would have had to put more people in the box. Then quick hitches would bring up the secondary, and a big play could be had over the top. We never kept it up. In fact, ever since Whiz has been here, we have been pass happy to the extent that Whiz has become a QB killer. YES, I said that, and it is true. He even caused Warner to walk away from the game because of the way he handles QB's and fails to put them into situations where they can most-likely succeed. If you are a QB under Whiz, and you want to succeed, you must be prepared to pay the price of getting mauled to do so. We simply don't, can't, won't, run the ball enough to make the defense respect the run. Every QB who has played in this system has become battered, Warner included. It shouldn't have to be that way.

moklerman

Rise from the Ashes III
Reaction score
I agree. Not really defending Whis, just saying that once Williams went out, with so few RB's on the roster the Cardinals were a bit stuck. LSH got his name called I thought but he didn't seem to play much.

When a defense is getting pressure with 4 and sometimes 3, it's a tough situation and probably just isn't going to be a good day.

However, many times I've been very frustrated by coaches who seem unwilling to try something...anything different in those situations. Whis in particular has perplexed me in the past when it seems so obvious to "go big" and give the line some help. Use the RB's and TE's to help chip the DE's that are getting so much pressure from their speed.

Did Kolb ever get a designed rollout called for him all night? With a 4 man rush and very little blitzing, that should have been a common call until the Rams adjusted but I don't recall it happening even once.

And the Rams weren't exactly crowding the line with their LB's and CB's. Run those guys off and dump it underneath to the TE or FB.

The point being, there seemed to be very little adjusting or even willingness to try.

THESMEL

Smushdown! Take it like a fan!
Reaction score
well

we passed more with Haley- except the games we actually won with Edge early and late in the playoffs- abandoned the run again in the superbowl to another close loss! Yes 60 dropbacks to 15 rushes tonight shows the value of even half a bean.

But even when he is healthy He's left on the bench most of the time- NFL defense won't stand for that- Rams or Bills coming up either- Levi and Beanie aint here to blame- guess this staff gonna have to blame some new guys- before they get hurt too!

I never post on this webiste but ******** it I am so pissed off right now. This game was so obvious and stupid to me. Why in the hell do we pass the ball so often tonight when St. Louis has one of the worst run defenses in the leauge???? Miller needs to be fired ASAP but this should have been done a while ago. Haley should have been brought back.

Kolb was placed on a T all night and just clobbered. Miller is such an idiot for calling so many passing plays. We should have been exploiting there horrible run D.

If we would have run the ball 40 times tonight we would have won. Eventually we would have broke through that defense. And to be honest Williams was getting decent yardage on most his runs.

This is not rocket science. Our OL is horrible and we must help them every play. We must chip with a TE or RB almost every play. It is very simple.

BTW our D played good and gave up 2 big plays which lead to TDS. Cant fault them for this.

Lastly, Kolb is a beast and has earned my respect. I truly think he is the QBOF. Just give him a gosh darn OL!!!!!!!!!!

THESMEL

Smushdown! Take it like a fan!
Reaction score
I seen 1 carry each - how the hell would we know if they can execute or not? OOPS- Smith's was a pass too so He didn't get a carry? Powell got 1.
link
http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/gametracker/live/NFL_20121004_ARI@STL

I agree. Not really defending Whis, just saying that once Williams went out, with so few RB's on the roster the Cardinals were a bit stuck. LSH got his name called I thought but he didn't seem to play much.

When a defense is getting pressure with 4 and sometimes 3, it's a tough situation and probably just isn't going to be a good day.

However, many times I've been very frustrated by coaches who seem unwilling to try something...anything different in those situations. Whis in particular has perplexed me in the past when it seems so obvious to "go big" and give the line some help. Use the RB's and TE's to help chip the DE's that are getting so much pressure from their speed.

Did Kolb ever get a designed rollout called for him all night? With a 4 man rush and very little blitzing, that should have been a common call until the Rams adjusted but I don't recall it happening even once.

And the Rams weren't exactly crowding the line with their LB's and CB's. Run those guys off and dump it underneath to the TE or FB.

The point being, there seemed to be very little adjusting or even willingness to try.

Last edited:

HoodieBets

Formerly azcardsfan1616
Reaction score
Biggest thing that amazed me was that our first draw play was run in the 4th qtr. The way you stop edge rushers is the draw and screens. BTW the screens to sherman worked beautifully where the hell was that the 1st half. I feel like half the people on this board would script a better offensive gameplan.

conraddobler

I want my 2$
Reaction score
I blame Miller, he's an idiot.

The oline is terrible at pass blocking, terrible at run blocking, the only thing you can do in that situation is manage the game better than dropping your QB back over and over again to be killed.

Go down just running into a wall of blockers then, if you are going to lose, lose with the least damage to your QB.

That wasn't necessary though, learn to run screens, and draws, screens and draws, til your team pukes in their sleep dreaming about screens and draws.

They might be very much not talented but they can learn, anyone can learn to run a perfect screen or draw play, ANY TEAM CAN LEARN TO RUN A SCREEN OR DRAW PLAY PERFECTLY.

Let me go over this one more time.

ANY TEAM CAN BE TAUGHT HOW TO RUN A PERFECT SCREEN OR DRAW PLAY.

Teach them a couple of each, teach them well, teach them over and over again then bring them out like a can of Whoopass on D lines that rush like rabid dogs on you.

Do it until that team hates you for it.

Jebus it's not that hard.

conraddobler

I want my 2$
Reaction score
We should go double TE right now the rest of the year, two WR sets, throw to the TE so much the other team pukes from it, screens, draws, runs, quick passes, all out of a basice double TE set.

Screens, draws, short passes, quick hitting runs, max protection passes deep off play action.

Every team has something they can do, we have a lot of talent offensively with a weak line, there's only so much you can do about that but what can be done is a hell of a lot more than they are doing.

It's just maddening to watch someone be so stupid, setting records for sacks is an indication your coaching staff is stupid.

Duckjake

LEGACY MEMBER
LEGACY MEMBER
Reaction score
It's been pretty good the 4 games before this one though, right? ;)
You guys kill me when we lose.

I disagree about the in game adjustments. I think that is CKWs strength. The coaches continue to struggle to develop an offensive game plan that works and Grimm's coaching makes the oline get worse every game instead of better.

37 games (plus 13 pre season games) now since Warner retired and the offense is still pasthetic.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Beagleperson