How Did the Cards Get to Collins?

Discussion in 'Arizona Cardinals' started by Harry, Apr 30, 2021.

1. Harry

Harry ASFN Consultant and Senior Writer

Sorry I’ve been AWOL with this knee replacement. As I posted a few days ago, Tony Pauline was saying his inside info was the Cards were all over Collins. He was clearly their BPA as the draft went. Living in UCF world, I’ve seen tons of Collins’ play. I had earlier posted Collins might be a better fit than Parsons. I’d describe Collins’ game as explosive. It’s more than just quick twitch. His instinctive use of leverage causes him to hit quickly with with unusual force. He blows up plays. He slices through traffic like a hot knife through butter. He is a force who makes game changing plays.

The Cards looked at CBs but were apparently concerned about Farley’s medicals. Newsome is more of a developmental player than a first year starter. The Cards wanted an immediate impact player.

They looked at receivers but weren’t certain guys like Toney and Bateman were option expanding. There were legitimate concerns if their speed plays in the NFL. There will be short receivers still available for their round 2 pick, if they want to go that way.

They felt history said no RB was strong enough to go that early.

So in the end the surest choice was Collins. It’s fair to say the Cards’ coaches failed miserably to figure out how to use Simmons. Why should you believe they will figure out Collins? Frankly that may prove accurate. It still doesn’t change Collins is an impact player. His skill set is easier to understand than Simmons.

All the Cards have to do is put this guy on the field and he will make plays. With Collins and Simmons on the field together, this defense will have the ability to flex to meet the high power offenses that are challenging defenses throughout the league.

This guy is good. He’ll be exciting to watch. Despite being thin at CB, this defense can pressure QBs as effectively as any group in the NFL. I wouldn’t be shocked to see the Cards finish as a top 5 defense in terms of points allowed.

No need to hate; better to just wait.

2. Dback Jon

Dback Jon Killer Snail Contributor

Great post!

cardncubfan, Goldfield and Shane like this.
  3. juza76

juza76 Registered

Great to hear this from you

cardncubfan, Goldfield and Shane like this.
  4. Shane

Shane Current STAR Contributor

Yea that was a great post. Thanks Harry

5. azkcfan

azkcfan Free Agent

To me it was not a surprise after all the known WR talent was gone and the two corners this seemed like the best pick. I might have reached for a RB with the Cards need there.

daves and cardncubfan like this.
  6. Goldfield

Goldfield Formally known as BEERZ

This is how I feel. I understand the disappointment because it wasn’t a huge need. But he was the right pick because of how the draft fell.

7. JohnnyCakes

JohnnyCakes Miserables Contributor

Dont take the bait be late to the date, and dont forget to lock the gate. ( sorry couldnt resist the urge, Happy Gilmore fans will appreciate )

Cardsfaninlouky and BritCard like this.
  8. MadCardDisease

MadCardDisease Moderator Contributor

Hey Harry! Hope the knee is doing better!

As I mentioned before my wife is a UCF alum and we watch as many UCF games as possible. I remember the disappointment after watching this game. UCF had a sizable lead against Tulsa that they squandered and this game ended up being the beginning of the end for the Knights season. I didn't put two and two together that Collins was that guy who was wreaking havoc against the UCF offense. He just seemed to make game changing plays that kept Tulsa in the game allowing them to make a comeback in the second half. I went back and rewatched some of the game last night and you can really see how instinctive he is. There were several times where he diagnosed the play and just blew it up from the beginning. The kid definitely has football smarts.

Originally I thought that he might have a career similar to Reddicks where the light bulb doesn't turn on for a few seasons. After watching a little more film on him, I now see the instincts that he has and feel better about the pick. I'm really excited to see how Simmons and Collins grow together for years to come.

9. CFLredzoned

CFLredzoned Registered

10. Stout

Stout Hold onto the ball, Murray!

Okay, Harry. Hearing you put it like this, I will try to temper my disappointment.

11. Shane

Shane Current STAR Contributor

atta boy

12. Stout

Stout Hold onto the ball, Murray!

I said TRY lol

WisconsinCard, Dayman, jf-08 and 3 others like this.
  13. Zeem_Freeze

Zeem_Freeze Registered

thank you Harry, your draft stuff is great given your history

14. Cardiac

Cardiac Registered User

Fantastic post Harry. Good luck with the knees.

daves likes this.
  15. BigRedRage

BigRedRage Reckless Contributor

Thanks Harry!