How Did the Cards Get to Collins?

Harry

ASFN Consultant and Senior Writer
Reaction score
Sorry I’ve been AWOL with this knee replacement. As I posted a few days ago, Tony Pauline was saying his inside info was the Cards were all over Collins. He was clearly their BPA as the draft went. Living in UCF world, I’ve seen tons of Collins’ play. I had earlier posted Collins might be a better fit than Parsons. I’d describe Collins’ game as explosive. It’s more than just quick twitch. His instinctive use of leverage causes him to hit quickly with with unusual force. He blows up plays. He slices through traffic like a hot knife through butter. He is a force who makes game changing plays.

The Cards looked at CBs but were apparently concerned about Farley’s medicals. Newsome is more of a developmental player than a first year starter. The Cards wanted an immediate impact player.

They looked at receivers but weren’t certain guys like Toney and Bateman were option expanding. There were legitimate concerns if their speed plays in the NFL. There will be short receivers still available for their round 2 pick, if they want to go that way.

They felt history said no RB was strong enough to go that early.

So in the end the surest choice was Collins. It’s fair to say the Cards’ coaches failed miserably to figure out how to use Simmons. Why should you believe they will figure out Collins? Frankly that may prove accurate. It still doesn’t change Collins is an impact player. His skill set is easier to understand than Simmons.

All the Cards have to do is put this guy on the field and he will make plays. With Collins and Simmons on the field together, this defense will have the ability to flex to meet the high power offenses that are challenging defenses throughout the league.

This guy is good. He’ll be exciting to watch. Despite being thin at CB, this defense can pressure QBs as effectively as any group in the NFL. I wouldn’t be shocked to see the Cards finish as a top 5 defense in terms of points allowed.

No need to hate; better to just wait.

azkcfan

Reaction score
To me it was not a surprise after all the known WR talent was gone and the two corners this seemed like the best pick. I might have reached for a RB with the Cards need there.

JohnnyCakes

Miserables
Reaction score
Sorry I’ve been AWOL with this knee replacement. As I posted a few days ago, Tony Pauline was saying his inside info was the Cards were all over Collins. He was clearly their BPA as the draft went. Living in UCF world, I’ve seen tons of Collins’ play. I had earlier posted Collins might be a better fit than Parsons. I’d describe Collins’ game as explosive. It’s more than just quick twitch. His instinctive use of leverage causes him to hit quickly with with unusual force. He blows up plays. He slices through traffic like a hot knife through butter. He is a force who makes game changing plays.

The Cards looked at CBs but were apparently concerned about Farley’s medicals. Newsome is more of a developmental player than a first year starter. The Cards wanted an immediate impact player.

They looked at receivers but weren’t certain guys like Toney and Bateman were option expanding. There were legitimate concerns if their speed plays in the NFL. There will be short receivers still available for their round 2 pick, if they want to go that way.

So in the end the surest choice was Collins. It’s fair to say the Cards’ coaches failed miserably to figure out how to use Simmons. Why should you believe they will figure out Collins? Frankly that may prove accurate. It still doesn’t change Collins is an impact player. His skill set is easier to understand than Simmons.

All the Cards have to do is put this guy on the field and he will make plays. With Collins and Simmons on the field together, this defense will have the ability to flex to meet the high power offenses that are challenging defenses throughout the league.

This guy is good. He’ll be exciting to watch. Despite being thin at CB, this defense can pressure QBs as effectively as any group in the NFL. I wouldn’t be shocked to see the Cards finish as a top 5 defense in terms of points allowed.

Dont take the bait be late to the date, and dont forget to lock the gate. ( sorry couldnt resist the urge, Happy Gilmore fans will appreciate )

MadCardDisease

Supporting Member
Reaction score

Hey Harry! Hope the knee is doing better!

As I mentioned before my wife is a UCF alum and we watch as many UCF games as possible. I remember the disappointment after watching this game. UCF had a sizable lead against Tulsa that they squandered and this game ended up being the beginning of the end for the Knights season. I didn't put two and two together that Collins was that guy who was wreaking havoc against the UCF offense. He just seemed to make game changing plays that kept Tulsa in the game allowing them to make a comeback in the second half. I went back and rewatched some of the game last night and you can really see how instinctive he is. There were several times where he diagnosed the play and just blew it up from the beginning. The kid definitely has football smarts.

Originally I thought that he might have a career similar to Reddicks where the light bulb doesn't turn on for a few seasons. After watching a little more film on him, I now see the instincts that he has and feel better about the pick. I'm really excited to see how Simmons and Collins grow together for years to come.

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
I don't have a lot of physical questions about Collins. One thing that people are dismissing a little easily is the impact his height will have in taking on and shedding blocks at this level. If there's one thing that I noticed from the FO article it was that Collins plays extremely upright and he's going to have to learn how to get low and get under the pads of NFL linemen.

Solar7

Go Suns
Reaction score
Thanks for the post, Harry. Hoping for the best.

This doesn't quite seem like a pick that moves the needle in 2021, but if he's a great player in the future for another coach and GM, I won't be mad, ha.

b8rtm8nn

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
I don't have a lot of physical questions about Collins. One thing that people are dismissing a little easily is the impact his height will have in taking on and shedding blocks at this level. If there's one thing that I noticed from the FO article it was that Collins plays extremely upright and he's going to have to learn how to get low and get under the pads of NFL linemen.

I get the Calais Campbell vibe on that, I remember Calais struggling with his height the first couple of years, couldn't quite finish, got redirected more than he should've, etc.

But being off the line hopefully makes this less of an issue in getting a return on him immediately

az jam

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Thanks Harry, do appreciate your insight. It has me feeling much better about the pick. Heard Keim on the Doug and Wolf show this morning and he said that Collons is and will stay at the Mike linebacker position. That is good news.

GoldGloveschmidt

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
After sleeping on it, I'm feeling better about the pick.

Watching Hicks run in quicksand 7 yards behind the guy he was supposed to be covering last year was infuriating. The guy is SO SLOW.

If Vance refuses to change his scheme (stop having the MIKE backer in coverage all the time) then at least give him a player that can fit the scheme.

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score
Thanks for the post, Harry. Hoping for the best.

This doesn't quite seem like a pick that moves the needle in 2021, but if he's a great player in the future for another coach and GM, I won't be mad, ha.

I think it DOES move the needle more immediately. The question is, will an ILB have more impact three years from now compared to a corner, WR, or OL?

Keim talked about how when they studied a lot of the good defenses over the years, many had TWO good 3 down backers. Bro....Hicks was awful on 3rd downs last year, and so was Campbell. If the Cardinals can get a guy that plays all three downs, he should have a considerable impact.

The plan has been obvious ALL offseason. Rush the passer. Stop the run. Stop all those plays that hemorrhage yards over the middle. If the Cardinals can do those things well, it makes it a hell of a lot easier to shut down outside receivers.

Solar7

Go Suns
Reaction score
I think it DOES move the needle more immediately. The question is, will an ILB have more impact three years from now compared to a corner, WR, or OL?

Keim talked about how when they studied a lot of the good defenses over the years, many had TWO good 3 down backers. Bro....Hicks was awful on 3rd downs last year, and so was Campbell. If the Cardinals can get a guy that plays all three downs, he should have a considerable impact.

The plan has been obvious ALL offseason. Rush the passer. Stop the run. Stop all those plays that hemorrhage yards over the middle. If the Cardinals can do those things well, it makes it a hell of a lot easier to shut down outside receivers.
We'll see. I don't have faith that VJ gets him on the field immediately.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sarahmoose