How Did He Get by Me

Harry

ASFN Consultant and Senior Writer
Reaction score
Marquez Stevenson’s nickname is Speedy, that’s an indicator about what he brings to the table. The problem is a nickname like that can also give a player a false sense of accomplishment. I was not aware the Cards had signed him.

This guy could be special. He really is fast, under 4.40 despite his timed postseason numbers. He also has that burst gear to pull away from a would be tackler. He can pile up YAC. He’s put up solid numbers at Houston, but most I talked to were concerned how well is game will translate to the NFL. The problem is he never had to polish his skills to be successful. He succeeds on natural talent, not technique. He does have decent hands and adjusts well to balls over his shoulder. He also is an excellent kickoff returner.

The concerns are with his receiving. He runs sloppy routes, often rounding them off. He lacks strength to win contested catches and his marginal frame has left him somewhat injury prone. He tends to dog it if he’s not the primary target. Stevenson is not physical so he rarely contributes downfield blocks. He has small hands, but ball security hasn’t been a major issue. He had a bad Pro Day, which weakened interest in him. I figured someone might grab him as early as round 4. He should have been drafted despite his lack of polish. The question comes down to how badly does he want to be an NFL player. If he wants it, he can make it happen. He could be the surprise acquisition of this offseason.

OP
OP
Harry

Harry

ASFN Consultant and Senior Writer
Reaction score
He had 0 snaps last year with Buffalo and Cleveland. Scrub.
You can’t teach speed. My hope is he realizes his opportunities are thinning. This might be his last chance. He’s obviously not a sure thing but he can stretch the field and he can return kicks. With the Cards’ situation I’ve got to believe he will get a real chance.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Beagleperson