How Did the Cards Get to Collins?

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
I don't have a lot of physical questions about Collins. One thing that people are dismissing a little easily is the impact his height will have in taking on and shedding blocks at this level. If there's one thing that I noticed from the FO article it was that Collins plays extremely upright and he's going to have to learn how to get low and get under the pads of NFL linemen.

Solar7

Go Suns
Reaction score
Thanks for the post, Harry. Hoping for the best.

This doesn't quite seem like a pick that moves the needle in 2021, but if he's a great player in the future for another coach and GM, I won't be mad, ha.

b8rtm8nn

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
I don't have a lot of physical questions about Collins. One thing that people are dismissing a little easily is the impact his height will have in taking on and shedding blocks at this level. If there's one thing that I noticed from the FO article it was that Collins plays extremely upright and he's going to have to learn how to get low and get under the pads of NFL linemen.

I get the Calais Campbell vibe on that, I remember Calais struggling with his height the first couple of years, couldn't quite finish, got redirected more than he should've, etc.

But being off the line hopefully makes this less of an issue in getting a return on him immediately

az jam

Reaction score
Thanks Harry, do appreciate your insight. It has me feeling much better about the pick. Heard Keim on the Doug and Wolf show this morning and he said that Collons is and will stay at the Mike linebacker position. That is good news.

GoldGloveschmidt

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
After sleeping on it, I'm feeling better about the pick.

Watching Hicks run in quicksand 7 yards behind the guy he was supposed to be covering last year was infuriating. The guy is SO SLOW.

If Vance refuses to change his scheme (stop having the MIKE backer in coverage all the time) then at least give him a player that can fit the scheme.

Krangthebrain

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score
Thanks for the post, Harry. Hoping for the best.

This doesn't quite seem like a pick that moves the needle in 2021, but if he's a great player in the future for another coach and GM, I won't be mad, ha.

I think it DOES move the needle more immediately. The question is, will an ILB have more impact three years from now compared to a corner, WR, or OL?

Keim talked about how when they studied a lot of the good defenses over the years, many had TWO good 3 down backers. Bro....Hicks was awful on 3rd downs last year, and so was Campbell. If the Cardinals can get a guy that plays all three downs, he should have a considerable impact.

The plan has been obvious ALL offseason. Rush the passer. Stop the run. Stop all those plays that hemorrhage yards over the middle. If the Cardinals can do those things well, it makes it a hell of a lot easier to shut down outside receivers.

Solar7

Go Suns
Reaction score
I think it DOES move the needle more immediately. The question is, will an ILB have more impact three years from now compared to a corner, WR, or OL?

Keim talked about how when they studied a lot of the good defenses over the years, many had TWO good 3 down backers. Bro....Hicks was awful on 3rd downs last year, and so was Campbell. If the Cardinals can get a guy that plays all three downs, he should have a considerable impact.

The plan has been obvious ALL offseason. Rush the passer. Stop the run. Stop all those plays that hemorrhage yards over the middle. If the Cardinals can do those things well, it makes it a hell of a lot easier to shut down outside receivers.
We'll see. I don't have faith that VJ gets him on the field immediately.

juza76

Registered
Reaction score
We'll see. I don't have faith that VJ gets him on the field immediately.

Hearing the press conference, Keim will force Joseph to play them
It looks like he was pissed off about last season when Joseph barely used Simmons

ProdigalSun

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Hearing the press conference, Keim will force Joseph to play them
It looks like he was pissed off about last season when Joseph barely used Simmons

It seemed like VJ got gun-shy with Simmons after he had a couple whiffs in the Niners opener game. But Simmons definitely flashed later in the year when he actually got to play. Hopefully with a full offseason Collins will be ready to go to start the season... if not VJ has got to go...

WisconsinCard

Herfin BIg Time
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yes and that is a legitimate concern. Getting off blocks seems to be his biggest weakness, hopefully he can be taught better technique from Bill Davis (can't believe I typed that), and make some gains in the department.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pokinmik