Gut Check Time

LoyaltyisaCurse

IF AND WHEN HEALTHY...
Reaction score
I’m looking at you, Murray, Kliff and VJ.

All of you wet the bed tonight. You proved the pundits right tonight about this team not being ready.

What are you going to do to improve?

Stout

Hold onto the ball, Murray!
Reaction score
I am gonna push back a bit here on Kliff.

Game plan was good. Play calling good. I don't love not taking the FG on the third to last drive. That was a Kliff mistake. Past that, Kliff was fine.
Sure, let's run 15 1st-down run up the gut run plays and call the play calling "good." The game plan and play calling were NOT good. Kliff was not fine last night. He was outthought by the DC. If Kyler wouldn't listen and wanted to force the ball where he shouldn't, it's on Kliff to correct it.

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score
Sure, let's run 15 1st-down run up the gut run plays and call the play calling "good." The game plan and play calling were NOT good. Kliff was not fine last night. He was outthought by the DC. If Kyler wouldn't listen and wanted to force the ball where he shouldn't, it's on Kliff to correct it.
Disagree. Kliff game planned a passing attack to take advantage of a mismatch in the secondary knowing that we were going to struggle with Harlow and Garcia inside.

Schemed an opportunity to go up 10-0 in the first two drives but Kyler throws a red zone pick.

One 3 and out drive over the entire game.

If Kyler doesn't throw a bad red zone pick we score points in 4 of our 5 1st half drives.

Didn't give up on the run down two scores.

We punted once all game.

Our only non-scoring drives, red zone int, punt, int, hopkins drop, and failed 4th and one (the kliff mistake).

I mean...

Shane

Current STAR
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Disagree. Kliff game planned a passing attack to take advantage of a mismatch in the secondary knowing that we were going to struggle with Harlow and Garcia inside.

Schemed an opportunity to go up 10-0 in the first two drives but Kyler throws a red zone pick.

If Kyler doesn't throw a bad red zone pick we score points in 4 of our 5 1st half drives.

We punted once all game.

Our only non-scoring drives, red zone int, punt, int, hopkins drop, and failed 4th and one (the kliff mistake).

I mean...
yep

Crimson Warrior

Dangerous Murray Zealot
Reaction score
I’m looking at you, Murray, Kliff and VJ.

All of you wet the bed tonight. You proved the pundits right tonight about this team not being ready.

What are you going to do to improve?

I think this morning Max Garcia and Sean Harlow also have to take look in the mirror and ask themselves how they want the rest of their season to go. Maybe a couple of the guys from the defense too.

Jetstream Green

Kool Aid with a touch of vodka
Reaction score

We punted once all game.

I mean...
I didn't have a problem with those runs up the gut, because you have to run to keep things honest even when you are not getting yards and rather they run between the tackles with that Ram's front when going outside probably is a loss of yards

Jetstream Green

Reaction score
I think this morning Max Garcia and Sean Harlow also have to take look in the mirror and ask themselves how they want the rest of their season to go. Maybe a couple of the guys from the defense too.
I don't think Garcia and Harlow can fare better against that Ram's front if they play again no matter how devoted they are, they are physically backups (and they are backup depth, right) compared to the Rams' front

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score
I don't think Garcia and Harlow can fare better against that Ram's front if they play again no matter how devoted they are, they are physically backups (and they are backup depth, right) compared to the Rams' front
Perfectly stated. If prime Aaron Donald doesn't destroy Harlow and Max Garcia it is a concern.

Stout

Reaction score
I didn't have a problem with those runs up the gut, because you have to run to keep things honest even when you are not getting yards and rather they run between the tackles with that Ram's front when going outside probably is a loss of yards
That wasn't keeping things honest. That was telling the Rams exactly what you're going to do so they can shut it down and leave you will only 2 downs to work with. Those 1st-down runs were so, so predictable.

Jetstream Green

Reaction score
That wasn't keeping things honest. That was telling the Rams exactly what you're going to do so they can shut it down and leave you will only 2 downs to work with. Those 1st-down runs were so, so predictable.
How would you have ran the ball at that Rams' front then is the question. I think those predictable runs would fare as good as any run and running it up the gut is one way one can try to slow down that talented DL from teeing off on the QB by going right at them is my guess

Stout

Reaction score

We punted once all game.

I mean...
I mean...stats are great, and saying our only non-scoring drives weren't on Kliff is great, but, just as you're trying to say he bears no blame, you're trying to say the players bear ALL the blame. No. They ALL sucked. Our kicker and our RB came out of this game gleaming; everyone else, coaches and players, can go hang their heads in shame.

Stout

Reaction score
How would you have ran the ball at that Rams' front then is the question
Not running the same plays on the same down over and over. Maybe do it once or twice to lull them, then play action it on 1st down instead. Run on SECOND down instead of first down. Loads of ways to work the running game into your game plan. Just, don't go about it how Kliff did.

Jetstream Green

Reaction score
Not running the same plays on the same down over and over. Maybe do it once or twice to lull them, then play action it on 1st down instead. Run on SECOND down instead of first down. Loads of ways to work the running game into your game plan. Just, don't go about it how Kliff did.
OK, the predictability of on what downs I get :raccoon:

SoonerLou

ASFN Addict
Reaction score

We punted once all game.

I mean...
That was actually a good play call. Garcia got destroyed.

Crimson Warrior

Dangerous Murray Zealot
Reaction score
I mean...stats are great, and saying our only non-scoring drives weren't on Kliff is great, but, just as you're trying to say he bears no blame, you're trying to say the players bear ALL the blame. No. They ALL sucked. Our kicker and our RB came out of this game gleaming; everyone else, coaches and players, can go hang their heads in shame.

Disagree with you a little here Stout. On offense, you can always quibble with a play call here or there. But I think last night, K2 provided the offense with opportunities that they players did not take.

SoonerLou

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
I didnt have a problem with Kliff this game. Packers one seemed worse.

I do think he could have mixed in a few under the center runs to help give them a different kind of running attack. Conner had just 18 yards rushing on his last 12 carries. Yikes.

Maybe should have given Eno a shot to get a little more explosive guy in there as well.

If we connect on two tds/Donald doesnt destroy those plays we likely win. Sucks, but there are no more Donalds on the remaining regular season schedule.

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score

It is easy to critique after a loss when they had chances to be in this game. This same gameplan put the rest of the league on notice when we ran for 200 yards against them week 4.

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score
Kliff consistently gave the ball to our best performing offensive player in Conner...even if it was telegraphed. He didn't call interceptions from our potential MVP QB nor did he call a 4th down drop by our future HOF WR. He gets credit for planning a scheme that moved the ball against the Rams at will despite having two backup interior OL. I have said that he takes the blame for not kicking a FG and instead giving it to Conner on 4th and one. That was a coaching decision, but the offensive game plan and play calling consistently put players wide open and moved the ball. Not sure how much more you can ask of a coach.

Shane

Current STAR
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Kliff consistently gave the ball to our best performing offensive player in Conner...even if it was telegraphed. He didn't call interceptions from our potential MVP QB nor did he call a 4th down drop by our future HOF WR. He gets credit for planning a scheme that moved the ball against the Rams at will despite having two backup interior OL. I have said that he takes the blame for not kicking a FG and instead giving it to Conner on 4th and one. That was a coaching decision, but the offensive game plan and play calling consistently put players wide open and moved the ball. Not sure how much more you can ask of a coach.
This all day

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Yep. People already forgot that Kliff tried to kick a very long field goal against the Jags and it was returned for a TD.

Crimson Warrior

Dangerous Murray Zealot
Reaction score
I didnt have a problem with Kliff this game. Packers one seemed worse.

I do think he could have mixed in a few under the center runs to help give them a different kind of running attack. Conner had just 18 yards rushing on his last 12 carries. Yikes.

Maybe should have given Eno a shot to get a little more explosive guy in there as well.

If we connect on two tds/Donald doesnt destroy those plays we likely win. Sucks, but there are no more Donalds on the remaining regular season schedule.

Thank you sweet Jesus for the bolded part. That's the most encouraging thing I've read all day.

Stout

Reaction score
Today I'm not going to go crazy arguing. I vented a LOT during the game, and have a lot of negativity towards the whole team right now--in this moment--realizing the season as a whole has been great thus far. So, I'm deciding not to go down a darksider rabbit hole atm.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
Perfectly stated. If prime Aaron Donald doesn't destroy Harlow and Max Garcia it is a concern.
And that’s where I kliff fails. Want to start with them on island against Donald? Okay I think it’s stupid, but let’s see how that plays out. Once you’ve seen him wrecking those guys failing to adjust to double him is a kliff failure.

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I am gonna push back a bit here on Kliff.

Game plan was good. Play calling good. I don't love not taking the FG on the third to last drive. That was a Kliff mistake. Past that, Kliff was fine.
I didn't like the run call on the 2nd 4th down we had not blocked that at all the whole game. Expecting Conner to consistently break 2 tackles to get it is asking too much. I would have kicked there but if we went for it, have some sort of pass play it was a long yard.

That's also where never being under center hurts us the play action is far more valuable from under C.