Green believed in McCown, or so he said

SECTION 11

vibraslap
Reaction score
Evil Ash said:
Our offense at this point is a disaster and I don't think there is just one person that can fix it. We are still at least a few players away
See I disagree there. I think one legit game-breaking running back will make the line look better, our passing game look better, etc, right down the line.

chickenhead

Reaction score
The reason we "should" have taken Big Ben is because we could have traded down to get him (provided that we weren't trading with Pittsburgh). The Steelers were able to sign him for a bonus of 5 million less than the Chargers handed out (why we handed out 20 is beyond me).

Keep in mind that had Maddox not been injured, Ben wouldn't be 8-0 at this point. Most likely we'd be seeing him for the first time about now ourselves, and he wouldn't have Burress and Ward to throw to--he'd only have Boldin. Plus a downgrade at RB.

Evil Ash

Henchman Supreme
Reaction score
SECTION 11 said:
See I disagree there. I think one legit game-breaking running back will make the line look better, our passing game look better, etc, right down the line.

Even a game-breaker RB needs some push from his offensive line (unless his name is Barry Sanders) and right now our Oline is getting pushed back not pushing forward.

Once again I hope I am wrong but I fear I'm not

Last edited:

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
kerouac9 said:
That's not what I'm saying at all. I'd be the first to say that there were a lot--a lot--of people saying that we should draft Big Ben Roethlisberger. But I'm still pretty sure that it wasn't "most of the board" which was John's claim. A lot of people (like Ed) were pimping Fitz, and the Texas homers were pimping Roy Williams, and I even think that there were people who wanted us to draft Will Smith. I was one of the people that was hoping for a trade-down to take Vince Wilfork at some point.

Speaking of Wilfork, I caught myself last night wondering what if we'd made the deal with Jax for their first rounder and at least 1 if not both of their 2nd rounders? they wanted a WR, Roy Williams or Fitz. Just conservatively say you get one 2nd rounder, the 39th pick, and their first.

You take Wilfork at 9, Dansby and 33, Tatum Bell, Darius Watts, Jake Grove or Keary Colbert at 39. Dockett in round 3.

We'd have a defense that had Wilfork AND Dockett together, and either a breakaway RB threat in Bell, or a young speedy WR(Watts) a highly productive WR(Colbert) or a rookie C with much more upside than Step.

Still wouldn't have had the QB, wouldn't have Fitz, but imagine our run defense with Wilfork? And at least one published report said Jax was offering BOTH picks to get up for Roy or Fitz 2nd pick was 55, Colbert was still on the board. So you could have got Bell and Colbert.

And yes this is total 20/20 hindsight on which guys to take but I'm pretty sure K9 was talking trade down with Bell specifically on his list of guys to get.

Fitz is going to be a really good player if we find a QB who can throw him the ball, I'm hoping King is that guy.

SECTION 11

vibraslap
Reaction score
Evil Ash said:
Even a game-breaker RB needs some push from his offensive line (unless his name is Barry Sanders) and right now our Oline is getting pushing back not pushing forward.

Once again I hope I am wrong but I fear I'm not
The run blocking has been way better than the pass blocking though.
Those guys will look all pro with a quality back running behind them.

justAndy

Jolly Nihilist
Reaction score

I don't follow the minor league errrr.... college players.
I just see what happens on the pro field.
Yes - R-berger looks good in Pittsburgh - but that's Pittsburgh. Duce Staley and then a resurgent Bettis behind a very effective O-line doesn't hurt ANY QB's chances.
Most of the Cards draft class this year has turned out quite well.
Let's give the Nutty Professor another year, or even 2 - there was a big stinky mess at the end of last year - no quick fix.

Cbus cardsfan

Back to Back ASFN FFL Champion
Reaction score
SECTION 11 said:
The run blocking has been way better than the pass blocking though.
Those guys will look all pro with a quality back running behind them.

TWO WORDS:DeANGELO WILLIAMS

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Cbus cardsfan said:
TWO WORDS:DeANGELO WILLIAMS

I've done some reading on him, he actually may be there when we pick if he comes out. One scout said he's an Emmitt Smith clone, too small, not fast enough, but just productive as all get out. He ran a 10.81 100 meters in HS which isn't slow, but they estimate he's a 4.5 guy now. Has had both a broken foot and knee surgery.

I've only seen him once but boy was he impressive in the game I saw, like Emmitt has that vision sees holes other backs don't see, and accelerates.

he's definitely high on my list of guys I'd like us to get.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Russ Smith said:
I've done some reading on him, he actually may be there when we pick if he comes out. One scout said he's an Emmitt Smith clone, too small, not fast enough, but just productive as all get out. He ran a 10.81 100 meters in HS which isn't slow, but they estimate he's a 4.5 guy now. Has had both a broken foot and knee surgery.

I've only seen him once but boy was he impressive in the game I saw, like Emmitt has that vision sees holes other backs don't see, and accelerates.

who does he play for? Va. Tech?

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
cheesebeef said:
who does he play for? Va. Tech?

Memphis, he's a junior but expected to come out. This won't line up but here's his season stats game by game, you can see not the greatest schedule in the world.

2004 Game Log Rushing Receiving
DATE & OPP RESULT ATT YDS AVG TD REC YDS AVG TD
9/4 @Mississippi Win 20-13 37 118 3.2 1 1 -1 -1.0 0
9/11 UT-Chattanooga Win 52-21 22 136 6.2 3 2 87 43.5 1
9/18 @Arkansas State Win 47-35 31 144 4.6 1 3 34 11.3 0
9/25 @UAB Loss 35-28 24 92 3.8 1 1 3 3.0 0
10/2 Houston Win 41-14 33 262 7.9 4 2 19 9.5 0
10/16 Tulane Win 49-24 19 132 6.9 2 1 26 26.0 0
10/23 @Cincinnati Loss 49-10 16 57 3.6 0 0 0 0.0 0
11/4 Louisville Loss 56-49 26 200 7.7 1 2 15 7.5 0
11/12 Southern Miss Win 30-26 27 199 7.4 2 1 12 12.0 0
11/20 @East Carolina Win 38-35 32 225 7.0 4 2 1 0.5 0

SECTION 11

vibraslap
Reaction score
Why does he only get 10 carries a game? He hasn't put up more than 20 yet this year. It's weird.

EDIT:::::

Hey, that was last year! I thought that looked wrong.

This_Guy

Veteran
Reaction score
Russ Smith said:

I've seen him play in person and he is lights out. i think he's worth a 3rd round pick. I reserve the right to make that pick higher when I see him play again.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Russ - he reminds you of a young Emmitt, huh? Interesting. What round do you think he goes if he comes out?

This_Guy

Veteran
Reaction score
SECTION 11 said:
Why does he only get 10 carries a game? He hasn't put up more than 20 yet this year. It's weird.

EDIT:::::

Hey, that was last year! I thought that looked wrong.
They run the spread offense and have talent at a number of skill positions, so they don't need to force feed DW.

BTW, the comment about the schedule....it's better than you think. CUSA football is pretty good this year, and certainly better than the Big 10.

SECTION 11

vibraslap
Reaction score
Russ Smith said:
Memphis, he's a junior but expected to come out. This won't line up but here's his season stats game by game, you can see not the greatest schedule in the world.

2004 Game Log Rushing Receiving
DATE & OPP RESULT ATT YDS AVG TD REC YDS AVG TD
9/4 @Mississippi Win 20-13 37 118 3.2 1 1 -1 -1.0 0
9/11 UT-Chattanooga Win 52-21 22 136 6.2 3 2 87 43.5 1
9/18 @Arkansas State Win 47-35 31 144 4.6 1 3 34 11.3 0
9/25 @UAB Loss 35-28 24 92 3.8 1 1 3 3.0 0
10/2 Houston Win 41-14 33 262 7.9 4 2 19 9.5 0
10/16 Tulane Win 49-24 19 132 6.9 2 1 26 26.0 0
10/23 @Cincinnati Loss 49-10 16 57 3.6 0 0 0 0.0 0
11/4 Louisville Loss 56-49 26 200 7.7 1 2 15 7.5 0
11/12 Southern Miss Win 30-26 27 199 7.4 2 1 12 12.0 0
11/20 @East Carolina Win 38-35 32 225 7.0 4 2 1 0.5 0
He's pretty much singlehandedly carried that team.
Again, a quality running back that people have to respect will make McCown look WAY better.

SECTION 11

vibraslap
Reaction score
This_Guy said:
They run the spread offense and have talent at a number of skill positions, so they don't need to force feed DW.

BTW, the comment about the schedule....it's better than you think. CUSA football is pretty good this year, and certainly better than the Big 10.
Off my favorites I landed on cnnsi's 2003 stats. Scanning the #'s I was wondering what the hell was going on...

I agree that CUSA is heading up in terms of quality. Scholarship reductions have worked exactly as planned. Parity is alive and well. I like it personally.

Assface

Like a boss
Supporting Member
Reaction score
There's a bunch of good runningbacks in this draft but I think we'll go after a free agent instead of taking a first rounder. Edgerin James, Shaun Alexander and Travis Henry will all be available. Is Lamont Jordan a free agent after this year too? I think Bennet has at least another year left on his contract but I think he'll be released. Onterio Smith is playing well enough to be the starter and they have some other good backups too. If Bennet comes free sometime during the summer I'm sure he'll end up here.

Cbus cardsfan

Reaction score
He'll be long gone by the 3rd round.I'm surprised that they have him projected to be that slow.He looks like a burner to me.Once he gets a corner,he's gone.

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
Assface said:
There's a bunch of good runningbacks in this draft but I think we'll go after a free agent instead of taking a first rounder. Edgerin James, Shaun Alexander and Travis Henry will all be available. Is Lamont Jordan a free agent after this year too? I think Bennet has at least another year left on his contract but I think he'll be released. Onterio Smith is playing well enough to be the starter and they have some other good backups too. If Bennet comes free sometime during the summer I'm sure he'll end up here.

Again: Don't expect the savior to come via free agency. That's not the way Denny works. Look for him to add 3-5 players that are mid-level, and see how they do. Berry and Macklin weren't high-profile guys in FA last year, and they've done pretty well for themselves.

People were tearing their hair out over the fact that we didn't get Bobby Taylor or Shawn Springs or Jevon Kearse or whomever in free agency last year. Don't set yourself up for disappointment. Denny acquires his playmakers through the draft.

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
cheesebeef said:
Russ - he reminds you of a young Emmitt, huh? Interesting. What round do you think he goes if he comes out?

No that was in a scouting report I found. I've seen him play once, 2-3 weeks ago. First carry I saw he busted for a 15=20 yard td run. Next carry I saw he went 70+ for a TD. But the Emmitt comparison is based on his quick feet and shiftiness, and his build, he's 5'9" about 220. he's way faster than emmitt now and faster than Emmitt in his prime, of course Emmitt in his prime was pretty damn good certainly not saying this kid will be THAT good.

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Cbus cardsfan said:
He'll be long gone by the 3rd round.I'm surprised that they have him projected to be that slow.He looks like a burner to me.Once he gets a corner,he's gone.

Agreed, he's quick, and 10.81 100 meters in HS doesn't equate to slow to me, but the first 2 scouting reports I read said the negative is not as fast as you'd like for a small RB.

The Louisville highlights same thing, of course Louisville's defense is a sieve, but he certainly has enough speed for me.

Assface

Like a boss
Supporting Member
Reaction score
kerouac9 said:
Again: Don't expect the savior to come via free agency. That's not the way Denny works. Look for him to add 3-5 players that are mid-level, and see how they do. Berry and Macklin weren't high-profile guys in FA last year, and they've done pretty well for themselves.

People were tearing their hair out over the fact that we didn't get Bobby Taylor or Shawn Springs or Jevon Kearse or whomever in free agency last year. Don't set yourself up for disappointment. Denny acquires his playmakers through the draft.

I certainly don't think any of those guys are saviors. Like I said, of all of them I think the most likely is Bennet and with all of his injuries it's hard to call him more than a mid level signing. I think the main reason we'll go after a free agent RB is so that we can use our #1 pick on either a top QB if King doesn't step it up and McCown doesn't win his job back (I'm not counting on either right now) or we'll draft a shut down CB which is hard to come by in free agency too.

Cbus cardsfan

Reaction score
Hopefully,he does get downgraded because of speed and he's there in round 2.He reminds me more of a Barry Sanders type than Emmitt.Of course if he's half as good as either one of them,it'll be fine with me.Actually, i think he's pretty similar to Tomlinson coming out of college.They both were the only offensive weapons on their teams and carried them to productive season while amassing tons of yards.

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
For a later round guy, 3-5, I really like JJ Arrington of Cal. he benefits from defenses so afraid of Aaron Rodgers they give up the run, but he's similar in size to Williams, a bit taller, similar speed not quite as "sudden". Runs hard. The knock on him is he's never been a workhorse but to me that means not beaten up either (see Benson, Cedric).

NFL draftblitz has him in the 3rd round right now. Maybe just being a homer but for a guy out of the top 2 rounds he's a RB I'd really like.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RedzBetz