Free agents. Stats or Fit?

slanidrac16

ASFN Icon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I know we look at available free agents and drool at the thought of signing a guy like Chris Jones.
When you go to Sportracs there are a lot of players that have name recognition. I’m not that knowledgeable ( maybe not at all) of any particular players who fit in our style of offense or defense.

Im going to use DT as one example. Here are 6 names.
Sheldon Rankins
Daquan Jones
Javon Kinlaw
Tim Settle
Michael Danna
Leo Fotu

None of these guys are going to break the bank. So if we were to sign one of these guys can we as fans trust this organization that they’re not being cheap but are obtaining a player that fits our style of defense and culture?

Bonus question, LOL. Would any of the guys mentioned be a fit for us?

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score
I know we look at available free agents and drool at the thought of signing a guy like Chris Jones.
When you go to Sportracs there are a lot of players that have name recognition. I’m not that knowledgeable ( maybe not at all) of any particular players who fit in our style of offense or defense.

Sheldon Rankins
Daquan Jones
Javon Kinlaw
Tim Settle
Michael Danna
Leo Fotu

None of these guys are going to break the bank. So if we were to sign one of these guys can we as fans trust this organization that they’re not being cheap but are obtaining a player that fits our style of defense and culture?

What I want to see is the Cardinals draft a young guy in rounds one through three and then sign two free agents to the DL.

I could see an approach of drafting Leonard Taylor in round two and signing Calais Campbell and Javon Kinlaw working.

OP
OP
slanidrac16

slanidrac16

ASFN Icon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
What I want to see is the Cardinals draft a young guy in rounds one through three and then sign two free agents to the DL.

I could see an approach of drafting Leonard Taylor in round two and signing Calais Campbell and Javon Kinlaw working.
But let me ask you this. Would Kinlaw be a better fit than Danna or DaQuan Jones. See, I recognize the name Kinlaw so if signed I would think , great. Where as if we signed a DaQuan Jones I would defer to opinions of this forum.

I’m not sure that there are too many on this board that can decipher a good or great signing if it wasn’t a household name.

Dan H

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Right there with you, honestly.

I’m a little weak on understanding defensive schemes and alignments. Depending on what we run, is one particular big-name guy even the best fit? IDK

Last edited:

gmabel830

It's football season!!
Reaction score
I feel like there are a lot of good DT prospects in the draft you can get in round 2-4, and a good mix of potential pass disruptors (like Orhorhoho from Clemson, Hall from Ohio State, and Murphy from Texas) and space eaters (like Sweat from Texas or McKinley from TX A&M). I often find myself drafting one from each category in mock drafts.

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score
We love Calais, but Calais looks like he’ll probably retire & Kinlaw is a lowkey head case while being a big liability in the run game with chronic knee issues. No thanks.
That contradicts Campbell's own words.

Maybe not Kinlaw, but he would still be better than any DL on the Cardinals roster right now.

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score
I feel like there are a lot of good DT prospects in the draft you can get in round 2-4, and a good mix of potential pass disruptors (like Orhorhoho from Clemson, Hall from Ohio State, and Murphy from Texas) and space eaters (like Sweat from Texas or McKinley from TX A&M). I often find myself drafting one from each category in mock drafts.
I think it's better than last year's draft.

I really wanted Keeanu Benton last year, but he went a bit higher than I saw mocked.

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Murphy won't be available in R2 IMO. If he is, you run to the podium.

CT CARDSFAN

Veteran
Reaction score
The players that I would like to see the free agents to be signed:
1. Jaylon Johnson, 24 years old, PFF grade 90.8, 4yrs @ 16/yr. $64,000,000.
2. Justin Madibuike, 26 yrs old, PFF grade 75.1 with 14 sacks @ 4yrs @ 21/yr $84,000,000.
Chase Young, 24 yrs old, PFF grade 10 sacks @ 4yrs @ 16/yr,
$64,000.000.
Should have $76,000,000 in cap space.
Want to build the team with young talented players not old guys.
Now concentrate on the Offense in the 1st 3 rounds.

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score
2. Justin Madibuike, 26 yrs old, PFF grade 75.1 with 14 sacks @ 4yrs @ 21/yr $84,000,000.
$64,000.000.
I think all those guys get more. I expect Jaylon Johnson to get $20 million or more. No way he gets CB 7 or 8 money.

Madubuike is getting probably $25 million or more. I doubt he gets Aaron Donald money, but it might be closer than you think.

Chase Young is about right with his issues, but people tend to overpay edge rushers with talent.

football karma

Happy in the pretense of knowledge
Reaction score
Kinlaw is a lowkey head case while being a big liability in the run game with chronic knee issues. No thanks.
im with you--

the 49ers who see him everyday thought so much of him that they signed free agent Josh Sweat from the Eagles last offseason

a guy with Bosa on one side of him and Erik Armstead on the other and cant seem to produce

DVontel

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
That contradicts Campbell's own words.

“I mean, there’s no guarantees once I go through that process”

Wanting a guy that’s still deciding if he wants to retire or not is such a Steve Keim move.

Maybe not Kinlaw, but he would still be better than any DL on the Cardinals roster right now.
You’re basically telling me a week old expired milk is better than two week old expired milk, lol.

And I’m not even sure if that’s even true.

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score
“I mean, there’s no guarantees once I go through that process”

Wanting a guy that’s still deciding if he wants to retire or not is such a Steve Keim move.
Just take the L and admit your statement was incorrect. Don't double down on wrong.
You’re basically telling me a week old expired milk is better than two week old expired milk, lol.

And I’m not even sure if that’s even true.
Kinlaw got significant reps down the stretch for one of the best front sevens in football even with all the depth they have.

Yeah Kinlaw = Roy Lopez. LOL.

DVontel

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Just take the L and admit your statement was incorrect. Don't double down on wrong.
I’ll admit I’m wrong once he signs with another team. Until then, get with me so I can help you with your reading comprehension.
Kinlaw got significant reps down the stretch for one of the best front sevens in football even with all the depth they have.
I guess that explains why 49ers fans consider him a bust during his tenure there & I’m sure you don’t watch 49er football as much as 49er fanbase does. “Depth” part is hilarious too considering their IDL of note consist of only having Javon Hargrave & Arik Armstead(who was injured which explains the increase in snaps for Kinlaw down the stretch)(also…their starters)
Yeah Kinlaw = Roy Lopez. LOL.
62 + 11 = 642. See? I can reach & not make sense, too.

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score
I’ll admit I’m wrong once he signs with another team. Until then, get with me so I can help you with your reading comprehension.
Continuing to take L's I see. Campbell himself contradicts your statements.
I guess that explains why 49ers fans consider him a bust during his tenure there & I’m sure you don’t watch 49er football as much as 49er fanbase does. “Depth” part is hilarious too considering their IDL of note consist of only having Javon Hargrave & Arik Armstead(who was injured which explains the increase in snaps for Kinlaw down the stretch)(also…their starters)
Strawman argument. I never said he wasn't a "bust". He has been, but that doesn't mean he can't be a serviceable part of a rotation on a cheap contract.

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score

Sheldon Rankins
Daquan Jones
Javon Kinlaw
Tim Settle
Michael Danna
Leo Fotu

My strategy for evaluating free agents right now is visiting OTC's Free Agency Tracker, and filtering for snap percentage. The big names are likely to get franchised, and I'll usually check if someone I am interested in is currently on a team with cap space and likely to re-sign.

Especially at DT, I'm looking for guys who eat snaps. I don't have the knowledge anymore to remember how good a guy who played 33% of the snaps for, like, Jacksonville is. I don't mind paying DTs who are a little older but have shown they can take up snaps. We need professional players at that position, not Roy Lopez and Jonathan Ledbetter.

$64,000.000.

Where you do see us getting $76 million in cap space from? That would put as at the top of the league and nearly double our current cap space. (Also understanding that we'll probably take $15 million in space into the draft and another $5-8 million into training camp).

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Beagleperson