Gameday thread - Cardinals vs Eagles 12-1-13

CtCardinals78

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
The patriots went down 24-0 and turned the ball over 4 times. And won!

Its called football.....It doesn't mean you deserve to lose!!!!!!!!! The Cards also held the Eagles to 37 yards the last 17 minutes!!!!!!!!!!!!! We had an INT at their 40...and they call a BS call...period.....we were screwed....Not every game is going to have both teams playing perfectly.....mistakes happen...it has how you bounce back....we bounced back...the refs decided to take it away...

Could not agree more perfectly stated, but hey as someone pointed out to me in my NFL is starting to suck thread the other day, the NFL is a business if you want purity watch your high school team.

Joe Mama

Supporting Member
Reaction score
It's been a while since I've been that upset about the officiating. I mean maybe five the letter of the law the call against honey badger and Shaughnessy were okay, but that could be called on virtually every single play of the game. However on the other side you've got the DB's mugging Floyd all the way down the field on one play and the next tackling him well before the ball got there.

Too many mistakes though. Palmer floated the ball a couple times, misplaced a couple passes to Andre Roberts, couple of missed catches, and is it me or is Patrick Peterson now the worst punt returner in the NFL?

Like cheese said, they probably need to win out to get a playoff spot. They needed this one.

Joe

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Don't know if I agree with all this "they put themselves in a bad position" stuff. Why does it matter that it wasn't a very close game the first 2+ quarters, no matter what happened earlier, we still had a chance to tie or go ahead but were unable due to horrible officiating.

we also had a first down (and A LOT MORE) well within our grasp when Palmer threw the ball way behind Roberts for a sure first down on that last series, meaning that no call on 4th down would have never happened.

we had the game in our hands and didn't make the play and then leave it up to the refs to make a 4th down call you get what you deserve.

AZ Sports Native

It's a dry heat.
Reaction score
we also had a first down (and A LOT MORE) well within our grasp when Palmer threw the ball way behind Roberts for a sure first down on that last series, meaning that no call on 4th down would have never happened.

we had the game in our hands and didn't make the play and then leave it up to the refs to make a 4th down call you get what you deserve.
Very true...but how do you explain away that ridiculous call against TM? We are close to FG position there if they don't throw the flag there.

azhumvee

Reaction score
we screwed ourselves more then the refs did.

you go down 17 points in the third quarter on the road, you literally need EVERYTHING to go your way. you put yourself in that position and you've ultimately got no one to blame but yourself, IMO.

agreed but its scary to know if we were playing our best against a better team and it just so happened to be close without us shooting ourselves in the foot... is this what we can look forward to for 4th qtr officiating in a close game?

D-Dogg

A Whole New World
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The no call on Floyd on 4th down was egregious. It was blatant, in open field and to not call that is incompetent. We earned the apology letter on that alone. The holding calls notwithstanding, that was the absolute WORST no call I've ever seen. Sad.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Very true...but how do you explain away that ridiculous call against TM? We are close to FG position there if they don't throw the flag there.

I don't explain away that ridiculous call because it didn't look ridiculous to me. it looked like a hold. just another mistake this team made ITSELF, negating a big play.

D-Dogg

A Whole New World
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I don't explain away that ridiculous call because it didn't look ridiculous to me. it looked like a hold. just another mistake this team made ITSELF, negating a big play.

It was ticky tack, but valid. I didn't have an issue with it.

The one late in the fourth that sealed the game was ridiculous though.

Southpaw

Provocateur aka Wallyburger
Supporting Member
Reaction score
you have defensive players that are on the verge of coming unglued? look I up....Docett is already going off.....Washington almost hit a ref.....and you guys act like....ehh....we stunk...the refs made some home field calls......WOW

Have a tall glass of ice water. Nothing out of the norm for Dockett and Washington. It's just a game.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It was ticky tack, but valid. I didn't have an issue with it.

The one late in the fourth that sealed the game was ridiculous though.

my biggest problem was the non-call on the first throw to Floyd up the sideline. that was a mugging. the one on fourth down was more a bang bang play. tight coverage, but it wasn't egregious in real time, IMO.

Covert Rain

Father smelt of elderberries!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
this is bull****. the last time the Cards were in the playoffs they had great ratings. everyone loves an underdog.

it wasn't fixed, we just made too many mistakes and when you keep it close on the road, home field advantage can and will kick in. it did today.

+1.

The Cards can thank the Cards for this loss. Despicable coverage at times by our secondary, poorly thrown balls by Palmer.....another lame duck interception by Palmer.

D-Dogg

A Whole New World
Supporting Member
Reaction score
my biggest problem was the non-call on the first throw to Floyd up the sideline. that was a mugging. the one on fourth down was more a bang bang play. tight coverage, but it wasn't egregious in real time, IMO.

The mugging downfield was bad, and they clearly impeded his path, but those were while they were running in stride and that's hard to call because of who is in what space.

However, the fourth down was not a bang bang play, IMO. In real time, I cheered the obvious, and I mean obvious PI, even before the ball got there. My jaw hit the floor when no flag was thrown. The guy was molesting him the entire time the ball was in the air. Nobody was moving, either, as it was a sit down route. If the ref can't see that call, he needs bounced back to DII to work on his skills.

CtCardinals78

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
+1.

The Cards can thank the Cards for this loss. Despicable coverage at times by our secondary, poorly thrown balls by Palmer.....another lame duck interception by Palmer.

The game is 60 minutes long, any expectations of any team playing at a perfect level for the full 60 minutes in unrealistic. The expectation that the officials get it right 100% of the time is unrealistic. The expectation that the officials call a consistent game and not to throw bs flags against one side, while letting the other side get away with egregious penalties in a span less that 5 minutes is completely realistic. Let's face it, the Cardinals did not do themselves any favors, but played well when they needed to, fought back should have had a golden opportunity to win it, that was taken away by the officials, then they had a second shot at a comeback, again taken away by the officials. The officials gift wrapped and handed that game to Philly on a silver platter. Period.

Cardiac

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I can recall three plays that instant replay reversed their original call. Two were in the Cards favor and one went against us. Point is that's 3 blown calls right there. Probably a good litmus test for Goodell and co. to review the game thoroughly (they do anyways) and fine this ref crew.

MWOOD92

All Star
Reaction score
Let's face it, the Cardinals did not do themselves any favors, but played well when they needed to, fought back should have had a golden opportunity to win it, that was taken away by the officials, then they had a second shot at a comeback, again taken away by the officials. The officials gift wrapped and handed that game to Philly on a silver platter. Period.

Yep. Once they realized we were about to stop them on 3rd down AGAIN, they throw a holding penalty to give them the 1st down and ultimately run out the clock. Total B.S.

bankybruce

All In!
Supporting Member
Reaction score

I agree and everytime Floyd tried to break away from the mugging, he seems to get a flag(not in this game, but in general).

Covert Rain

Supporting Member
Reaction score
The game is 60 minutes long, any expectations of any team playing at a perfect level for the full 60 minutes in unrealistic. The expectation that the officials get it right 100% of the time is unrealistic. The expectation that the officials call a consistent game and not to throw bs flags against one side, while letting the other side get away with egregious penalties in a span less that 5 minutes is completely realistic. Let's face it, the Cardinals did not do themselves any favors, but played well when they needed to, fought back should have had a golden opportunity to win it, that was taken away by the officials, then they had a second shot at a comeback, again taken away by the officials. The officials gift wrapped and handed that game to Philly on a silver platter. Period.

Nobody is making the argument you should play for error free for 60 minutes. Had Palmer completed some of those throws and not make a lame duck interception, we probably would be saying good win but crappy calls. If you have opportunity and don't take advantage that is not on the Refs. Hell if the Cards had taken care of business the prior quarters the last 5 minutes become moot.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Nobody is making the argument you should play for error free for 60 minutes. Had Palmer completed some of those throws and not make a lame duck interception, we probably would be saying good win but crappy calls. If you have opportunity and don't take advantage that is not on the Refs. Hell if the Cards had taken care of business the prior quarters the last 5 minutes become moot.

if Palmer had taken care business on two wide open passes to Roberts in the last 5 minutes, the referees are moot.

Darkside

ASFN Addict
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
It was a team loss in my opinion, with no particular person being responsible. I like Palmer, but he did frustrate me yesterday and not because of his INT's or the fumble or anything else. He frustrated me because on the final stalled drive, he just didn't exude confidence. He didn't look like he was excited or just dying to drive it down the field for a win. I didn't get that sense. You look at a Brady or Manning or even a guy like Wilson, and you can see through their body language that they want that opportunity to go down and score the game winning TD. All I got from Palmer at that point was that he just didn't want to get hit again.

Sure, a lot of that is inference on my part, and that's fine, but I know when KW was driving, I could feel his determination through the damn TV. When Brady makes a game-winning drive, you can see it and feel it, and half the time you're just resigned to the fact that he's going to drive it down with 1 minute left and set them up for the game winning FG or TD. Not so with Palmer. Just by watching his body language I couldn't tell if it was the first quarter, 3rd quarter, or 4th quarter with a game-winner on the line. And that's not a compliment.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It was a team loss in my opinion, with no particular person being responsible. I like Palmer, but he did frustrate me yesterday and not because of his INT's or the fumble or anything else. He frustrated me because on the final stalled drive, he just didn't exude confidence. He didn't look like he was excited or just dying to drive it down the field for a win. I didn't get that sense. You look at a Brady or Manning or even a guy like Wilson, and you can see through their body language that they want that opportunity to go down and score the game winning TD. All I got from Palmer at that point was that he just didn't want to get hit again.

Sure, a lot of that is inference on my part, and that's fine, but I know when KW was driving, I could feel his determination through the damn TV. When Brady makes a game-winning drive, you can see it and feel it, and half the time you're just resigned to the fact that he's going to drive it down with 1 minute left and set them up for the game winning FG or TD. Not so with Palmer. Just by watching his body language I couldn't tell if it was the first quarter, 3rd quarter, or 4th quarter with a game-winner on the line. And that's not a compliment.

yeah...I made a similar comment in another thread and thought back to our other close road loss, in Week 1, where Palmer came in with good field position, inspired zero confidence and airmailed an open wheelroute to Ellington that probably goes for 25-30 yards, if not a TD. You just can't miss on that play and the play to Roberts if you're a big time QB with the game on the line.

Covert Rain

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I told everyone what to expect with Palmer and some people didn't believe me. The guy will look like a world beater for stretches then do something completely bone headed (lame duck throw, pick..etc.). It has ALWAYS been his M.O. He is the ultimate NFL tease IMO. All the tools....delivers in streaks.....then DOH!