Free agency thread 2022

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Short arms, small hands, & whatever athletically.

You keep mentioning this as if he's permanently limited by sub optimal measurements. It's simply not true. Yeah, he's not an ape in the arm department but he's nothing unusual.

Alijah Vera-Tucker who you wanted to draft last year and if I recall you believed was a future All Pro Guard has 32 1/8" arms vs 32" on Hernandez. I'm pretty sure 1/8" isn't a world of difference. Hernandez has bigger hands too.

Hernandez also has a better bench, better 3 cone, almost identical 40, similar broad. Tucker wins comfortably in the VJ.

But certainly nothing much physically between them to warranty you think Tucker is a future AP and Hernandez is physically disabled.

Creed Humphrey has 32.5" arms. He seems to be doing ok too.

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score
At worst, Hernandez has proven to be worse than Garcia.
I don't know about that. Garcia is a back up at best. I think you're peddling hyperbole right here.
Not like his ceiling was all that high anyway.
NFL scouts didn't really agree with this assessment.
Short arms, small hands, & whatever athletically. This is while playing against the New Mexico States & Florida Internationals of the world.
I don't expect much. I expect he will compete with at the moment with Justin Murray and Josh Jones. The reality is that most NFL teams are in the same situation as the Cardinals or actually worse. The Cardinals line wasn't great last year, but it wasn't exactly an embarrassment either.

My issue is that, as I said a week or two ago, you build your team to beat the best in your division. Aaron Donald resides in this division and will reside for the foreseeable future. In one of the losses against the Rams last year, I don't think it would be a crazy argument that if Donald had been neutralized more often, winning would have been substantially easier.

So my argument in essence is that the Cardinals should put a premium on matching up with Donald. He might be the greatest interior lineman in the history of the NFL and the Cardinals plan is to throw average players at best against him...

DVontel

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I don't know about that. Garcia is a back up at best. I think you're peddling hyperbole right here.
You don’t know about that because I’m willing to bet you haven’t watched all 16/17 games of the Giants the past 4 years. You haven’t watched Hernandez be terrible for years. You have watched Garcia so it’s easier for you to believe that.
NFL scouts said Andy Isabella was a Day 2 pick.
I don't expect much. I expect he will compete with at the moment with Justin Murray and Josh Jones. The reality is that most NFL teams are in the same situation as the Cardinals or actually worse. The Cardinals line wasn't great last year, but it wasn't exactly an embarrassment either.

My issue is that, as I said a week or two ago, you build your team to beat the best in your division. Aaron Donald resides in this division and will reside for the foreseeable future. In one of the losses against the Rams last year, I don't think it would be a crazy argument that if Donald had been neutralized more often, winning would have been substantially easier.
He shouldn’t be competing for a starting spot at all. That’s the point.

QuebecCard

ASFN Addict
Reaction score

So my argument in essence is that the Cardinals should put a premium on matching up with Donald. He might be the greatest interior lineman in the history of the NFL and the Cardinals plan is to throw average players at best against him...

Given this - every team in the League will be using players deemed average or below or above in their attempt to control Donald. I don't see the term 'great' associated with any Guard coming out in this Draft.

The answer seems obvious: Don't let Donald single up whenever possible.

Reactions: PJ1

QuebecCard

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
You don’t know about that because I’m willing to bet you haven’t watched all 16/17 games of the Giants the past 4 years. You haven’t watched Hernandez be terrible for years. You have watched Garcia so it’s easier for you to believe that.

That's 'your' point.

jf-08

Guy Smiley
Administrator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
My S2B wife is a huge Giants fan and we've watched all the NYG games the past 5 years or so. The Giants fans think of Hernandez like we do Garcia - a turnstile. But the Giants fans like the "trade" because Garcia can play LG, RG, and C. They think at the time, Gettleman made the correct pick, but Hernandez has regressed and last year was his worst year. Mind you, this is the thinking of a collection of Giant fans, and not science.

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score
Given this - every team in the League will be using players deemed average or below or above in their attempt to control Donald. I don't see the term 'great' associated with any Guard coming out in this Draft.

The answer seems obvious: Don't let Donald single up whenever possible.
Or you could make having at least an above average candidate on the roster a priority. Find a player who at least isn't going to get embarrassed by him.

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score

I agree that you probably don't want the Will Hernandez that started last year for the Giants as your starting RG. That said, when the competition (as of now) is Justin Murray and Josh Jones, he will absolutely be in the mix and should be based upon his athletic profile vs Murray and Jones. (aka the competition isn't much better if it is better at all)

Stout

Hold onto the ball, Murray!
Reaction score
I agree that you probably don't want the Will Hernandez that started last year for the Giants as your starting RG. That said, when the competition (as of now) is Justin Murray and Josh Jones, he will absolutely be in the mix and should be based upon his athletic profile vs Murray and Jones. (aka the competition isn't much better if it is better at all)
He shouldn't be come the start of the season, though. If he is, well, that'll just be more Keim folly.

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
He shouldn't be come the start of the season, though. If he is, well, that'll just be more Keim folly.

Hernandez is going to start at Guard. I don't know is it will be right, I am an inkling they may experiment with Pugh at RG in camp and see how that goes. But it's highly likely he starts and I'm good with that.

Stout

Hold onto the ball, Murray!
Reaction score
Hernandez is going to start at Guard. I don't know is it will be right, I am an inkling they may experiment with Pugh at RG in camp and see how that goes. But it's highly likely he starts and I'm good with that.
I'm glad you're good with patchwork "gee, we HOPE they'll develop as the start for us" moves when we're supposed to be stacking the roster with a young, talented QB. You shouldn't be, IMO, but that's your call.

I'm okay with the move for depth. That's exactly the kind of player you'd like to take a gamble on a depth, someone who can develop. As a starter, especially when this roster needs upgrades to the IOL specifically for the kind of QB we have and division we play on? That's just foolhardy.

WeBlitz

Rookie
Reaction score
This is scary. Why are you good with that? Because you used one example of one player sucking on one team, but was able to turn it around on another? Is that truly what you’re banking on?

DVontel

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I'm glad you're good with patchwork "gee, we HOPE they'll develop as the start for us" moves when we're supposed to be stacking the roster with a young, talented QB. You shouldn't be, IMO, but that's your call.

I'm okay with the move for depth. That's exactly the kind of player you'd like to take a gamble on a depth, someone who can develop. As a starter, especially when this roster needs upgrades to the IOL specifically for the kind of QB we have and division we play on? That's just foolhardy.
Definition of insanity.

Absolute worst fear is if we pass up either Zion Johnson or Kenyon Green because they’re set with Hernandez only to draft a CB or George Karlaftis.

QuebecCard

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Even you must realize the fallacy in this statement. If Keim drafts IOL in the 1st round, don't you think it might effect the equation?

Even you must realize the fallacy in this statement.

In the end, as was the case with our last two first-round picks, the coaches will decide on playing time.