Draft Lesson Learned

Harry

ASFN Consultant and Senior Writer
Reaction score
In the last draft Ossenfort made a calculated move by accepting a future draft pick as a key part of a trade. Observers for the most part, including me, endorsed the move. We all then spent the remainder of the following season watching the value of that pick drop faster than crypto.

This year when the Vikings came calling offering a 2025 first round pick as part of their package, Ossenfort wanted more. When the Vikes refused, Ossenfort calmly took the consensus best player in the draft. Gradually we’re getting a sense of Ossenfort’s style. When the time came for his second choice he didn’t use picks to move up. He deduced that this was a pool with unusual depth and those picks represented real value. When pick 27 came up, though he needed a CB and flashy ones were available, he made the safer pick. I recently wrote first round CBs are notoriously gambles. Ossenfort went with a DL that needs some polish, but has the tools to offer at least 5 solid years of starting play. Robinson has enough upside he could also develop into an impact player. At least he brings a very high floor with a low bust rate.

Ossenfort is not going to be influenced by fans or media. He’ll take the boring choice if he’s confident that choice contributes to the foundation. He wasn’t making headlines, he was building a solid roster. He willing to wait a year rather than gamble on a quick fix. He wasn’t chasing a long shot playoff spot. He was building a roster that could be annually competitive, even if it takes another year to get there.

slanidrac16

ASFN Icon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Thanks Harry.
So what do we do now. I’m torn on DeJean or Newton. For whatever reason I don’t like Kool-aid.
What do you think?

Mr. Boldin

Mel Kiper's Daddy
Reaction score
@Harry who do you prefer here at 35? Lots of quality players at positions of need.

Fitz4Ever

Veteran
Reaction score
I think we should have tried to move up for Verse...I think he's a better version of what we got in Robinson...but I'm fine with how things played out.

I would like to see us trade some of our picks from 104 and later to improve some picks.

We don't need to bring in 11 rookies. I'd rather have 7 that have a great chance to make the team

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score
I think we should have tried to move up for Verse...I think he's a better version of what we got in Robinson...but I'm fine with how things played out.
See this just isn't right. Robinson is more of a 5T or 3T, he's not an OLB like Verse would be.

I liked Verse, but no way would I sacrifice draft capital to move up, especially because you would have had to move to mid round one.

Turner was the guy to move up for.
I would like to see us trade some of our picks from 104 and later to improve some picks.

We don't need to bring in 11 rookies. I'd rather have 7 that have a great chance to make the team
An interesting idea is to move up from the third into the second to have another second round pick. Still lots of really good players left.

Fitz4Ever

Veteran
Reaction score
See this just isn't right. Robinson is more of a 5T or 3T, he's not an OLB like Verse would be.

I liked Verse, but no way would I sacrifice draft capital to move up, especially because you would have had to move to mid round one.

Turner was the guy to move up for.

An interesting idea is to move up from the third into the second to have another second round pick. Still lots of really good players left.
I don't think Verse is going to be an OLB...and I don't thinks that what Gannon wanted. He wanys a hand in the dirt DE who can play the run and rush the passer...not drop into coverage.

I think Verse can do that. I think Robinson can do that, but he's behind Verse as a pass rusher

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score
I don't think Verse is going to be an OLB...and I don't thinks that what Gannon wanted. He wanys a hand in the dirt DE who can play the run and rush the passer...not drop into coverage.

I think Verse can do that. I think Robinson can do that, but he's behind Verse as a pass rusher
Verse is absolutely going to play 3/4 backer with the Rams. That's what they drafted him for.

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score

I see Verse as a 5/6T with flexibility to play out as far as 9 and play stand up OLB (although he isn't dropping into coverage)

I see Robinson as a 5/6T with flexibility to move inside as far as 3T.

But I feel like both are mainly 5/6.

JohnnyCakes

Miserables
Reaction score
What is not to like about a player who is a student of the game and is a guy you have to force off the practice field?
student of the game is corny bs.

Its the NFL, you need to roster PLAYMAKERS. This guys measureables arent that good

football karma

Happy in the pretense of knowledge
Reaction score
time will tell is Monti is good at drafting

but in the meantime, he has this midwestern earnest-ness to him that i find endearing.

Keim was like listening to a time share salesman