DirecTV Sunday Ticket subscribers

black

ASFN Lifer
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
linkie no workie
sorry, that was a mistakie.

http://www.f2atv.com/

You can search through. I find Captive Works have the best box for the dollars. The trick is finding the right LNB's. You can go to ebay too and search for good deals. If anyone is interested they can pm me.

Last edited:

JeffGollin

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Roughly a year ago, I had the DirecTV guy out to install HD only to discover that the dish antenna and HD equipment you need is more sensitive to trees and other obstructions than the regular dish and setup.

Dang!

Every few months, I dial them up to see if the technology has improved enough to overcome the problem. So far, no dice.

bratwurst

on double secret probation
Reaction score
Here's my long winded experience over the past couple weeks with the company I used to like...

I finally got an HDTV and ordered a new HD-DVR from Directv about 3 weeks or so ago. They insisted that it must be installed by a professional. They scheduled it the next week, on a Wednesday.

So I get a phone call the following Sunday, by the installer's scheduler who wants to figure out when I want the thing installed. I'm a bit baffled as I'm pretty sure its already set to go for the upcoming Wednesday afternoon. Installer says, "huh I don't see anything about that. Lets check to see if we can get it done before Wednesday." So 10 minutes later after scheduling the whole thing she says to me on the phone, "ok let me verify your address..." uhhh... wrong address. I haven't lived there in over 3 years. Directv somehow sends me a Virginia installer, and I'm in Maryland. She says, hmmm... I better call them and get it figured out.

So I get back on the phone with directv, tell two people the story, get transferred each time to a new person and by the third person I'm about as livid as can be. This is my Sunday getting killed here by incompetence.

So the guy who finally helps me with my problem has to cancel the prior order and refund my card, and charge it again for a new order. This takes about 45 minutes, during which I get stuck on hold 3 times for extended periods. I ask for something in return for the mistake, I get offered absolutely zilch.

Installer somehow still is going to make the same Wednesday time slot.

So he comes by, sets the whole thing up, and takes off. Wife is shown a working picture on the tv. But after he leaves, she notices that none of the HD signals are coming in, with a couple exceptions like ESPN. She calls me up, and I tell her to call dtv since she's in front of the tv. They can't fix it and she gets fed up and gets off the phone with them and tells me to deal with it. She tries calling the installer to come back but he doesn't answer his phone.

So I get home and sure enough, about 90% of the hdtv feeds are not working, they say searching for signal. I call directv, wade through the ridiculous prompt menu and finally get someone on the phone. After reading through her script, checking things, she finally turns a couple pages and realizes "installer didn't put b-band converters on the cables" to allow the new mpeg4 signals or something to be usuable by the new box. So the guy didn't do his job. I say, "well send him back here with them tomorrow". She says that it would go into the queue and he'd probably take a week to get back here. I'm going crazy at this point. She says, I can priority mail these to you before he'd be back. Setting up this mailing of these things takes her a good additional 30 minutes. That was 8 days ago today.

So last night, I call them up and say "ok, the installer supposedly was going to take a week to get back here to bring me two small line converters, but the new ones were to be shipped and be here within two days. Its been over a week, and I have no converters." Guy checks the prior order and bang he drops this one on me, "uh... I don't think they even shipped them yet." So he cancels the prior shipment that never was and puts in an order for a new shipment. My concern, if the prior order never shipped, or was in some line to get shipped, did I just go to the back of the line? He can give me no assurances or reasons why the previous converters did not get to me. I ask for his supervisor, who does absolutely nothing to quell my concerns, except to tell me to call back the next day to make sure they've got a tracking number to know they'd actually sent them. She offers me $30 off (in $5 increments over 6 months!) for my trouble. I ask for some help on reducing the cost of superfan instead and she says no way, they can't do it.

So I think at this point for this order I've been on the phone for probably 5 hours (no joke) with directv on hold, or in queue, or talking to someone or a 3rd party installer and this crap still doesn't work. And I've been told I have to call back again to check on them to make sure they're doing what they told me they'd do!

Directv better never lose that exclusivity with the NFL, because is the only thing that has kept me from cancelling. These guys used to do a great job, but now their prices are horrible and their service sucks.

BurqueCardFan

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
That's no joke. The last time I dealt with them to install my HD equipment about a year ago, I went through the same song and dance. I don't know why Dtv does not have their own install division. The way they run it using independent installers just gives them an excuse to pass the buck back and forth when a problem arises. The service has definately gone downhill.

MigratingOsprey

Thank You Paul!
Reaction score
agreed - the only time it worked in my benefit is when my installer showed up for a bunch of equipment I purchased and told me I would be smart to cancel this order as they had new technology coming out the next monday

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
well, that settles it. dish for me. sunday ticket be damned. i'll watch my cards in a bar with cheese.

gusmahler

Registered
Reaction score
Cancelling because someone else had installation problems is pretty silly. I've never had installation problems and there are thousands others who never had a problem with it. They have more HD than any other provider and the best sports coverage. Yes, they do overcharge for Superfan. Other than that, I think they are fine. If Comcast/Cox were to win Sunday Ticket, I wouldn't even consider switching back to cable (assuming DirecTV also had Sunday Ticket.)

red desert

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
The way I handle this is slide the install guy a fifty or so to be on call for any problems. When I've had a problem, they rush right back and take care of the problem. Trust me, these guys have no loyalty to Direct TV.

It sucks that you have to do this, but it's woth it IMO.

That said, I just ordered my HD upgrade. Let's hope thinks go well.

MrYeahBut

4 Food groups: beans, chili, cheese, bacon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I basically went thru the same things...except it was to just get the new 5line dish. Short story is about 10 different phone calls, 3 missed appts by service man, finally got it installed about 3 weeks late...bam..lightning strike fried all the fuses in my big screen TV..another $500 to get that fixed, but I'm now livin' large.

conraddobler

I want my 2$
Reaction score
Direct TV is like a super hot bubble headed GF.

Looks great, aggravating as hell, still worth it mostly.

:D

Zeno

Ancient
Reaction score
I finally got Directv today, complete with the HD DVR. Woohoo, no more going to a sports bar every Sunday and having to watch the game on a small TV with no sound more often than not.

Screw cable

Stout

Hold onto the ball, Murray!
Reaction score
I finally got Directv today, complete with the HD DVR. Woohoo, no more going to a sports bar every Sunday and having to watch the game on a small TV with no sound more often than not.

Screw cable

You know what? Ditto! The good news is that, just for buying the Ticket, we get 4 months of everything else FOR FREE.

SeattleCard

Back in Arizona!!!
Reaction score
DTV is expensive... but man, the picture is better than anything else out there...

Covert Rain

Father smelt of elderberries!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I actually do this every single year with DTV. You have to be a "A" rated customer and get through to the retention department. I just did this today as my yearly routine with them. I told them I was going to cancel NFL Sunday ticket.

I received the following:

NFL Ticket Discounted: $189.00
Super Fan = Free
Showtime (3 Months) = Free
2 HD DVR's = Free

I always have a great experience when dealing with their retention department. No hassle at all.

Last edited:

Twist18

Registered
Reaction score
I actually do this every single year with DTV. You have to be a "A" rated customer and get through to the retention department. I just did this today as my yearly routine with them.

Super Fan = Free
HD DVR = Free
Standard DVR = Free

I always have a great experience when dealing with their retention department. No hassle at all.

I used to have the # to it. But lost it.

MigratingOsprey

Thank You Paul!
Reaction score
I actually do this every single year with DTV. You have to be a "A" rated customer and get through to the retention department. I just did this today as my yearly routine with them. I told them I was going to cancel NFL Sunday ticket.

Super Fan = Free
2 HD DVR's = Free

i used to have a lot of luck with that - but this year no dice - i'm going to follow up with the angry letter approach

Shane

Current STAR
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I used to have the # to it. But lost it.

1-800-DIRECTV

Get a person and tell them you are unhappy from the get go and just ask for retention. Its easy.

Covert Rain

Supporting Member
Reaction score
1-800-DIRECTV

Get a person and tell them you are unhappy from the get go and just ask for retention. Its easy.

That is key. Most people don't realize that the first department they talk to is not the retention department. The 1st line people are not authorized to offer you the best deal. They will in fact tell you it's the best they can do.

However, if you hold your ground and tell them go ahead and transfer you to the department that "cancels" they eventually will. That person will then take another stab at retaining you. That person will in fact offer you a better deal. If you play it smart, don't take their first offer either.

I did not and I got the sweet deal above.

MigratingOsprey

Thank You Paul!
Reaction score
that's what I do - they held really firm this year and rattled off the stuff i've received in the past

jerks

Covert Rain

Supporting Member
Reaction score
that's what I do - they held really firm this year and rattled off the stuff i've received in the past

jerks

What was the reason you gave them for cancelling? If you tell them something like it's too expensive and you need to cut back on some luxury's....etc... That tactic works best.

If you call them up and say something like you want to cancel because someone else is offering better equipment or offering you a better deal, that tends to be less successful. They actually track competitors deals and can tell if your B.S. or not about offers or better deals.

Alan

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
I just tried it and got decent results (I think).

Free DirectTV DVR (this allows me to cancel my $18/m Tivo)
3 months free Showtime
$10 off my bill for the next 12 months.

Not quite what some of you guys got, but hey, there's next year.

Covert Rain

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I just tried it and got decent results (I think).

Free DirectTV DVR (this allows me to cancel my $18/m Tivo)
3 months free Showtime
$10 off my bill for the next 12 months.

Not quite what some of you guys got, but hey, there's next year.

The longer your with DTV with no late pay issues the better your rating gets and the more they are willing to do for you.

SoCal Cardfan

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
I consider myself a DTV price manipulation master, I have had DTV since it rolled out, have my vip card etc... Every year I have them lower the price, throw in super-fan etc...

I called today and told them I needed to cancel, he asked why after so many years, was I dropping Sunday ticket?
I told him, "You guys priced me out of the market, I can't afford it anymore"

I sat there for two minutes or so.. with a big grin on my face, awaiting to hear this years special.

His reply after a few minutes... "Ok Sir, I went ahead and canceled that for you, is there anything else I can help you with today?"

D'oh, now I have to call back in a few days with my tail between my legs, and re-subscribe lol.

I think after all these years of BS, they finally called my bluff. :/

Dr. Jones

Has No Time For Love
Reaction score
I had trouble this year I have never had in the past.

I had to go through multiple retention employees. Finally ended up with the 12 month credit of $10. And a new HR21 HDDVR for $19.99. And the free Showtime.

I am thinking of calling back to go for free superfan again. But I haven't done it yet.