DirecTV Sunday Ticket subscribers

Fiasco

Tyler Durden
Reaction score
If you are a previous sunday ticket subscriber with autorenew you can call the DirecTV customer service (customer retention) department.

If you hint about considering dropping sunday ticket they will comp the superfan (sunday ticket 100+ games in HD) and send you a HD Tivo free ($20 shipping)

Lloydian

Registered
Reaction score
I'm a big football fan, but last year when the price went up and HD required even more money, I finally did the math. I go to 8 games a year. Another 8 of my favorites are guaranteed to be on free TV and many of the others I wanted were also carried over the air, so I found that the games I was adding through Sunday ticket cost me over $20 per game.

They priced me out. If there's a game I have to watch, and it isn't carried locally, there are plenty of bars out there.

Capital Card

The Kobayashi of Kool-Aid
Reaction score
Lloydian said:
I'm a big football fan, but last year when the price went up and HD required even more money, I finally did the math. I go to 8 games a year. Another 8 of my favorites are guaranteed to be on free TV and many of the others I wanted were also carried over the air, so I found that the games I was adding through Sunday ticket cost me over $20 per game.

They priced me out. If there's a game I have to watch, and it isn't carried locally, there are plenty of bars out there.

If I had to spend 3 hours in a bar to watch the games, I can guarantee that it would cost me more than $20/game.

Go Cards!!!

Scott MS

Registered
Reaction score
Lloydian said:

Like Lloydian, I dropped it before last season after having it for about 7 years. $20+ a week wasn't worth it when I can watch the national network games in HD on CBS, FOX, and ABC free via over the air antenna.

Plus, when I wasn't AT the Cards games on Sunday, most of the away games were in HD.

MigratingOsprey

Thank You Paul!
Reaction score
i received a renewal package and it was super cool - it was specified to seahawk fans and they offered me the following incentives to stay

30 free issues of SI and one of the following

The advanced game thing (very scientific I know - just can't remember the name)

A regular DVR (which includes the advacement stuff)

A HD DVR

25 free PPV movies

pretty cool - i'd be all over the HD DVR, but I have the 5 lnb dish and i'm not sure they have the HD DVRS ready yet (or if they would be eligible for this promotion.....)

MigratingOsprey

Thank You Paul!
Reaction score
Trey said:
Are you sure about this? Last I checked, HD Tivo's were still going for something like $800. Are you sure it wasn't one of Directv's new standard def PVRs (the R-15) instead?

they offered me an HD DVR to renew with an estimated value of $500 (which is about what they are asking for them now)

Scott MS

Registered
Reaction score
DirecTV had a number of offers in the last year where you could get the HD Tivo for $250 with a 2 year committment.

By the way, they are coming out with a new HD Tivo which supports the new MPEG-4 standard so they are probably willing to get rid of the old ones. Having Tivo also nets them $6 per month per Tivo so they there is a revenue stream there.

CaptTurbo

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Who do you call? I call DirectTV and always get someone who doesnt speak english. They want to charge me 249$ for the ticket even though Im locked in as a returning customer at 199.99.

But they do have a 40 dollars off so I can add 9 bucks to my bill if I want! whoo hoo. I hate DirectTV customer support.

SoCal Cardfan

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
They are offering the HD dvr because they are crap and they need to blow them out, The HR-10 250 is going to be replaced very soon with a hopefully better unit (mid summer I was told) I am on my fourth unit, and two friends are both on their 2nd and 3rd units. The problem is most prevelent when you watch alot of HD programming, the unit is always recording the channel you watch, and these boxes struggle to record the amount of data HD throws at it, the result is audio and video stuttering that seems really minor at first.. but after a few weeks it just bugs the hell out of ya.

I finally got a high level tech out, who admitted they have been pounded to death by the issue. Also, if you end up w/ one.. just call weekly until they offer to swap it out.

Lloydian

Registered
Reaction score
Scott MS said:
By the way, they are coming out with a new HD Tivo which supports the new MPEG-4
Wow, that's good news. I sure don't want to settle for the DVR DirecTV currently makes, even in an HD version (at least not until they fix some design flaws such as delay compensation for FF and RW). As to the revenue stream, well, if you bought a Tivo with DirecTV way back when and paid the lifetime fee, DirecTV has no revenue stream for you. I've suspected the lack of a fee from lifetimers like me is part of their incentive to drop Tivo.

RobbleRobble

Hope springs eternal
Reaction score
swd1974 said:
Who do you call? I call DirectTV and always get someone who doesnt speak english. They want to charge me 249$ for the ticket even though Im locked in as a returning customer at 199.99.

But they do have a 40 dollars off so I can add 9 bucks to my bill if I want! whoo hoo. I hate DirectTV customer support.

Here's the deal, as soon as you get a hold of a person say, "Can I please speak to the customer retention department?".

DirecTV is very interested in retaining their long term customers. So much so, that they'll throw just about anything at you if you request it. The longer than you've been a subscriber, the more clout you have.

However, when you call DirecTV, you won't be talking to customer retention, you'll be talking to some drone making minimum wage that couldn't care less whether you subscribe to the ticket, or even completely cancel your DirecTV service. Talk to customer retention and its a different story.

Billy Flynt

Pirate, 300 yrs too late
Reaction score
Is there any point in getting the HD DVR if you don't have an HD tv? Not savvy enough (or wealthy) with this yet to know the answer.

Scott MS

Registered
Reaction score
DirecTV is dropping Tivo in favor of their own DVR technology, except that they will still charge you monthly a monthly rate. That would result in less money sent on to Tivo.

The replacement for the HR10-250 is coming out this summer and supports the new 5 LNB (satellite) and MPEG-4 standards. Buying a HR10-250 still isn't a bad idea (I bought one a year ago) because when they convert your market to MPEG-4, you get free swapped hardware which matches what you current have -- thus the replacement for the HR10-250 will be swapped for the older HR10-250 for no cost.

Scott MS

Registered
Reaction score
Billy Flynt said:
Is there any point in getting the HD DVR if you don't have an HD tv? Not savvy enough (or wealthy) with this yet to know the answer.

No, the HD DVR is used for recording the HD over the air and satellite channels. Everybody should have an HDTV, in my opinion, as the programming is finally becoming widespread on all networks and sporting events. I bought my first HDTV in 1999 and I watched the Super Bowl in 2000, and then not again until 2002. Not much else was in HD. Now everthing just about is.

MigratingOsprey

Thank You Paul!
Reaction score
Scott MS said:
DirecTV is dropping Tivo in favor of their own DVR technology, except that they will still charge you monthly a monthly rate. That would result in less money sent on to Tivo.

The replacement for the HR10-250 is coming out this summer and supports the new 5 LNB (satellite) and MPEG-4 standards. Buying a HR10-250 still isn't a bad idea (I bought one a year ago) because when they convert your market to MPEG-4, you get free swapped hardware which matches what you current have -- thus the replacement for the HR10-250 will be swapped for the older HR10-250 for no cost.

what if you already have the 5 LNB dish? - do you know if the HR10-250 is compatable with the 5 LNB (seems like it would have at most limited compatability) and if so, will they be inclined to swap it out when the new equipment arrives

RobbleRobble

Hope springs eternal
Reaction score
I've been a long time Sunday Ticket subscriber, but haven't had HD until this year. I intend to call DirecTv and complain, so that I can get the "SuperFan" package.

Question for those out there with HD and Sunday Ticket: How many games are broadcast in HD with the Sunday ticket?

As an aside, it really burns me that they'd include the HD games in a seperate tier. I pay for both the Sunday Ticket and an HD package. For them to turn and around and say "Oh you wanted sunday ticket and HD? You have to pay a third time.....

Lloydian

Registered
Reaction score
Virtually every game on Fox shows up in HD. During weeks when there are 7 games on Fox, one is usually in SD but is still shown in widescreen format. Sadly, at least up to now, when they have to put one game in SD, the Cardinals usually get hosed.

CBS was up to three games per week last year.

All primetime games are in HD. I'm assuming the NFL Network coverage will be in HD as well.

Scott MS

Registered
Reaction score
MigratingOsprey said:
what if you already have the 5 LNB dish? - do you know if the HR10-250 is compatable with the 5 LNB (seems like it would have at most limited compatability) and if so, will they be inclined to swap it out when the new equipment arrives

HR10-250 MAY be compatible, but it was originally designed for the 3 LNB dish -- 101, 110, and 119 positions. The new 5 LNB dish was designed for use with the new MPEG-4 transmissions from the two other orbital spots.

Scott MS

Registered
Reaction score
Lloydian said:
Virtually every game on Fox shows up in HD. During weeks when there are 7 games on Fox, one is usually in SD but is still shown in widescreen format. Sadly, at least up to now, when they have to put one game in SD, the Cardinals usually get hosed.

CBS was up to three games per week last year.

All primetime games are in HD. I'm assuming the NFL Network coverage will be in HD as well.

Correct. The HD Sunday Ticket basically allows you to pick between the various HD games on at the same time. Regular over-the-air HD transmissions only allows you to watch the game that Fox or CBS chooses to show in your local market (i.e. Phoenix).

john h

LEGACY MEMBER
Reaction score
Trey said:
Are you sure about this? Last I checked, HD Tivo's were still going for something like $800. Are you sure it wasn't one of Directv's new standard def PVRs (the R-15) instead?

I bought the latest and most up to date meanest HD Tivo Direct recorder (200 hr) for $499 last year. That included installation and the dual antenea if you needed one. Best Buy offered the same one for $399 if you did your own install.

john h

LEGACY MEMBER
Reaction score
SoCal Cardfan said:
They are offering the HD dvr because they are crap and they need to blow them out, The HR-10 250 is going to be replaced very soon with a hopefully better unit (mid summer I was told) I am on my fourth unit, and two friends are both on their 2nd and 3rd units. The problem is most prevelent when you watch alot of HD programming, the unit is always recording the channel you watch, and these boxes struggle to record the amount of data HD throws at it, the result is audio and video stuttering that seems really minor at first.. but after a few weeks it just bugs the hell out of ya.

I finally got a high level tech out, who admitted they have been pounded to death by the issue. Also, if you end up w/ one.. just call weekly until they offer to swap it out.

Depending on your antena set-up you can watch one channel and record another. My Direct recorder has worked flawlessly. They are coming out with one without Tivo as they are developing their own type Tivo.

john h

LEGACY MEMBER
Reaction score
RobbleRobble said:
Here's the deal, as soon as you get a hold of a person say, "Can I please speak to the customer retention department?".

DirecTV is very interested in retaining their long term customers. So much so, that they'll throw just about anything at you if you request it. The longer than you've been a subscriber, the more clout you have.

However, when you call DirecTV, you won't be talking to customer retention, you'll be talking to some drone making minimum wage that couldn't care less whether you subscribe to the ticket, or even completely cancel your DirecTV service. Talk to customer retention and its a different story.

I have had Direct since it first came out (12-94)and the NFL ticket since it first became available. I received a Priority Customer Card some months ago and now when I call I never have to wait. After my call they always say thank you for being a Priority Customer and say my name. They must know who is on the line. I do not know if everyone received such a card but it really works.

MigratingOsprey

Thank You Paul!
Reaction score
Scott MS said:
HR10-250 MAY be compatible, but it was originally designed for the 3 LNB dish -- 101, 110, and 119 positions. The new 5 LNB dish was designed for use with the new MPEG-4 transmissions from the two other orbital spots.

a fountain of knowledge - i'm liking the 5 LNB dish - just started getting locals in HD a few weeks ago - good stuff