Week 7: 13 of 14 games in HD
Week 8: 12 of 13 games in HD
Week 10: 13 of 14 games in HD
Week 11: 14 of 16 games in HD
Week 13: 15 of 16 games in HD
Week 14: 15 of 16 games in HD
Week 16: 15 of 16 games in HD
Week 17: 14 of 16 games in HD
For the network that doesn't have the doubleheader, the usual choice for non-HD is the least popular late game. With the doubleheader, it's usually an early game.
Week 2: The Seattle/Arizona game is up against Minnesota/Detroit. I like our chances.
Week 3: My money is on Arizona/Baltimore getting the SD treatment.
Week 4: It's a late doubleheader game (and Whis v Pitt). I like our chances.
Week 7: Arizona/Washington: I don't like our chances.
Week 8: Bye
Week 10: Corallary to the late doubleheader rule: If it's Detroit/Arizona, count on SD.
Week 11: I'd like to think that Arizona/Cincinnati would be better than Carolina/Green Bay.
Week 13: Outlook awful. Late, non-doubleheader, Cleveland.
Week 14: I like the Arizona/Seattle better than Minnesota/San Francisco.
Week 16: Safe: SD game is on other network.
Week 17: I like our chances for HD on this game.

To sum up, with 15 games in SD, I predict the Cardinals lead the league again with 4 in SD, 12 in HD. Put another way, with 9 possible changes to put us in SD, I think the networks will seize the opportunity 4 times.

bratwurst

on double secret probation
Reaction score
Directv would only give me the superfan for $25 off. I told them to stick it. I also let them know that at the current rate of increase for the ticket alone, that I'm probably going back to watching in bars next year. At that point, I'm not sure if I stick with Dtv at all. The ticket is the main reason I keep their service at all.

gusmahler

Registered
Reaction score
For the network that doesn't have the doubleheader, the usual choice for non-HD is the least popular late game. With the doubleheader, it's usually an early game.
Week 2: The Seattle/Arizona game is up against Minnesota/Detroit. I like our chances.

So far, the Cards are 0 for 2. SEA/ARI was SD and so will ARI/BAL (the only Fox game to be SD for week 3.

At least we'll be in HD once the bye weeks start (hopefully).

SeattleCard

Back in Arizona!!!
Reaction score
Big CORRECTION on this Thread.

The game WAS broadcast by FOX in HD. I watched it at home here in Seattle in beautiful HD.

This was DIRECTV's decision not to air the game in HD, so direct your complaints to DTV.

MigratingOsprey

Thank You Paul!
Reaction score
i don't believe it was HD, but widescreen SD as it was being shown to such a small market

:shrug:

anyhow........ I need to call DTV and see if I can get an upgrade on my HD DVR and also to see if they'll give me superfan

i buy 3 sports packs and the HD package - it's ridiculous to pay an extra $100 just to watch a game in Hd......

Brat - did you just talk to a customer rep or did you ask for the mysterious retentions department?

Twist18

Registered
Reaction score
i don't believe it was HD, but widescreen SD as it was being shown to such a small market

:shrug:

anyhow........ I need to call DTV and see if I can get an upgrade on my HD DVR and also to see if they'll give me superfan

i buy 3 sports packs and the HD package - it's ridiculous to pay an extra $100 just to watch a game in Hd......

Brat - did you just talk to a customer rep or did you ask for the mysterious retentions department?

Do you have the HR10-250? You should definitely call as all the new channels will be in MPEG 4 and the 250 wont pick it up, at least thats what I understand.

MigratingOsprey

Thank You Paul!
Reaction score
yeah - i'm still repping the old school -

I had the 5lnb dish installed the first weekend it was available out here and had the HD receiver that gave me locals - then I was able to get the 10-250 for free, so I took the DVR over the locals (use an off air antenna anyways.....)

i had a chance to upgrade to the new one, but held back figuring it would have a lot of bugs - surprisingly it seems to have been working smooth - now I want it given the expansion of HD programming

bratwurst

Reaction score

I spoke to both. The first lady offered me $25 off, and I told her that I wouldn't take that. So she said she'd pass me off to retention to see what they would offer. The guy at retention wouldn't budge. He said they gave me superfan for free last year, so I couldn't get it again for free. I told him that I wasn't going to renew next year, which is true if they raise the price again. And that's got about a 100% chance of happening. Unless I get a big raise I can't justify the cost anymore. It sucks because this is really what I look forward to on the weekends, but its probably back to the bars for me.

Sunday Ticket, plus Superfan for $370 when I don't even have an HDTV? Not a chance. I want Superfan for the redzone channel and the shortcut replays. That isn't worth the money.

Last year the retention lady told me on the phone that since I'm a 5+ year paying Sunday Ticket holder, they'd basically give me something anytime I called. I guess $25 is something, but gimme a break.

Edit to add, that I had called a couple weeks ago when I had a problem with one of my Tivos, so I asked to see what they would give as a special offer to upgrade to a 5lnb and a HD tivo and they wouldn't budge off their $200 offer, same as on the web. I told them no chance, since I know they will give that away for a lot less.

I've pushed a couple people to DTV as referrals too. I'm a good customer.

Last edited:

MigratingOsprey

Thank You Paul!
Reaction score
thanks for the knowledge - it does get crazy expensive - i like the flexibility of watching the game at my house, but between the games I see in person, the ones on primetime and then a couple on regional sportscasts I think i would of only of had to of gone to the bar for like 6-8 games either last year or this year

that's $200 at most

Crazy Canuck

ASFN Icon
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
It certainly seems, from here in Canada, that you guys are paying an awful lot for your sports coverage.

For $29.00 a month my cable company offers the following package in normal viewing and HD:

NFL Sunday Ticket
NHL Centre ICE
NBA Basketball
Major League Baseball
U.S. College Football
U.S. College Basketball
U.S. College Hockey
European Premier League Soccer
NASCAR (in car)
Canadian Junior hockey

SoCal Cardfan

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
It certainly seems, from here in Canada, that you guys are paying an awful lot for your sports coverage.

For $29.00 a month my cable company offers the following package in normal viewing and HD:

NFL Sunday Ticket
NHL Centre ICE
NBA Basketball
Major League Baseball
U.S. College Football
U.S. College Basketball
U.S. College Hockey
NASCAR (in car)
Canadian Junior hockey

:shock: Damn!!!

bratwurst

Reaction score
Damn maybe I should move to Canada.

But then I'd be in... Canada.

jk.... my mom lives there half the year.

MigratingOsprey

Thank You Paul!
Reaction score
well i put this off until about 20 minutes before kickoff yesterday - asked immediately for the retentions department as I figured they may have more authority

addressed the DVR first - she noted that I received it for free multiple times which made me think that I was going to get left out in the cold

also the systems didn't show as an automatic upgrade (which I guess is the standard......) - so I ended up complaining that my current receiver was broken and needed to be replaced - she said that they aren't supposed to send out anymore 250s, so my replacement should be the new one - I should have it by the end of the week, so until then I just have to hope - she said to call back if it wasn't right

then I brought up superfan and asked if there is anything she could do - she said wait 5 seconds and then go check channel 702 as she had just activated it for free

I hope DTV does something where we don't have to do this dance every year - i would of seriously had to think about cancelling the NBA ticket just to watch NFL games in HD when I have the HD package and the sunday ticket - seems nuts, especially with how the prices are shooting up

Mulli

Supporting Member
Reaction score

NFL Sunday Ticket
NHL Centre ICE
NBA Basketball
Major League Baseball
U.S. College Football
U.S. College Basketball
U.S. College Hockey
NASCAR (in car)
Canadian Junior hockey

When did Canada go communist?

:)

gusmahler

Registered
Reaction score
Week 4: It's a late doubleheader game (and Whis v Pitt). I like our chances.
Week 7: Arizona/Washington: I don't like our chances.
Week 8: Bye
Week 10: Corallary to the late doubleheader rule: If it's Detroit/Arizona, count on SD.
Week 11: I'd like to think that Arizona/Cincinnati would be better than Carolina/Green Bay.
Week 13: Outlook awful. Late, non-doubleheader, Cleveland.
Week 14: I like the Arizona/Seattle better than Minnesota/San Francisco.
Week 16: Safe: SD game is on other network.
Week 17: I like our chances for HD on this game.

To sum up, with 15 games in SD, I predict the Cardinals lead the league again with 4 in SD, 12 in HD. Put another way, with 9 possible changes to put us in SD, I think the networks will seize the opportunity 4 times.

We ended up getting weeks 10 and 13 in HD. As far as I remember, the only SD game was ARI/BAL.

CLE led the league in SD this year, only getting between 9 and 11 HD games. (ironic since they are in playoff contention.)

EDIT: SEA @ ARI was also SD.

Last edited:

NMCard

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
What is the deal with the big price increase this year? Are we going to get a better product or something. My Sunday ticket went up 50 bucks.

MigratingOsprey

Thank You Paul!
Reaction score
nope - just another price increase with no renewal incentive except to save $50 ....... sad that they now bill this over 6 months ........... i'm going to have to call again this year and complain about paying for superfan as well

Skkorpion

Grey haired old Bird
LEGACY MEMBER
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I dumped Sunday ticket this year and DirectTV as well. They priced me out of the market.

Since I see every Cards home game in person, missing all the other day games anyway on those days and every away game is televised here, that only leaves me exposed to the networks choice of televised game for 1 game slot 8 Sundays of the season.

With Cox cable, I get all the games in High Def, including the Sunday night and Monday night and NFL channel games as well, at no extra cost.

With high speed internet, currently at 54 mips on the same cox cable line, sayonara DirecTV. You have blown your market advantage.

NMCard

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
I dumped Sunday ticket this year and DirectTV as well. They priced me out of the market.

I may do the same after being a dedicated customer since direct started up. I have pumped thousands of dollars into that company over the years only to be almost priced out of the market. The NFL makes it much cheaper for Dallas and Denver fans.:rolleyes:

Last season I found myself watching less Cardinal games. I spent more time out hunting, hiking and taking photos. That was much less stressfull. I still would tune into the game via sirius. Always a cardinal fan.

Mulli

Supporting Member
Reaction score

Since I see every Cards home game in person, missing all the other day games anyway on those days and every away game is televised here, that only leaves me exposed to the networks choice of televised game for 1 game slot 8 Sundays of the season.

With Cox cable, I get all the games in High Def, including the Sunday night and Monday night and NFL channel games as well, at no extra cost.

With high speed internet, currently at 54 mips on the same cox cable line, sayonara DirecTV. You have blown your market advantage.
Thanks for your post. Saves me from wondering if I am missing something.