DirecTV Sunday Ticket subscribers

gusmahler

Registered
Reaction score
I didn't realize that DirecTV had added the Red Zone Channel. When did this happen? They use to show the Red Zone on the NFL channel but it wasn't all the games, IIRC. Having left DTV, I'm going to miss all the games but I was hoping the RZC would soften the blow for me this season.

Steve
DirecTV doesn't offer the Red Zone channel separately. I doubt they ever will, because they want to push the full Sunday Ticket package instead.

It is Dish Network that offers the Red Zone channel.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
DirecTV doesn't offer the Red Zone channel separately. I doubt they ever will, because they want to push the full Sunday Ticket package instead.

It is Dish Network that offers the Red Zone channel.

Well, unless something has changed it's not that they don't offer it separately; it's simply not available on DirecTV. I thought the channel was basically intended to appease all the cable systems (and Dish) that were left in the dark by DirecTV's exclusive NFL agreement. Also, DirecTV offers so many options as part of their NFL package (I love their shortened game replays) it's really not needed for most people.

Steve

gusmahler

Registered
Reaction score
Well, unless something has changed it's not that they don't offer it separately; it's simply not available on DirecTV. I thought the channel was basically intended to appease all the cable systems (and Dish) that were left in the dark by DirecTV's exclusive NFL agreement. Also, DirecTV offers so many options as part of their NFL package (I love their shortened game replays) it's really not needed for most people.

Steve
Incorrect. DirecTV has offered RedZone channel as part of the Sunday Ticket package for a few years now. I know because when I was in CA, I had Sunday Ticket for a few years and would watch RedZone for the morning games and the Cardinals for the afternoon game.

IIRC, channel 702 was the first game mix channel (8 games on screen at once). 703 was the second game mix channel (8 games, some different from 702). 704 was Red Zone. And the games start at channel 705.

The official position of DirecTV is that they don't offer RedZone channel separately--you have to get it as part of the Sunday Ticket package. However, a little googling comes up with this page:
http://thelandryhat.com/2010/08/06/free-red-zone-channel-from-directv/

which states that DirecTV not only offers RedZone separately, they will give it to you for free if you threaten to leave. Unfortunately, I am still under the 2 year contract (had to re-up when I moved), so it looks like I may not have the proper leverage to leave.

Last edited:

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Incorrect. DirecTV has offered RedZone channel as part of the Sunday Ticket package for a few years now. I know because when I was in CA, I had Sunday Ticket for a few years and would watch RedZone for the morning games and the Cardinals for the afternoon game.

IIRC, channel 702 was the first game mix channel (8 games on screen at once). 703 was the second game mix channel (8 games, some different from 702). 704 was Red Zone. And the games start at channel 705.

The official position of DirecTV is that they don't offer RedZone channel separately--you have to get it as part of the Sunday Ticket package. However, a little googling comes up with this page:
http://thelandryhat.com/2010/08/06/free-red-zone-channel-from-directv/

which states that DirecTV not only offers RedZone separately, they will give it to you for free if you threaten to leave. Unfortunately, I am still under the 2 year contract (had to re-up when I moved), so it looks like I may not have the proper leverage to leave.

I guess we're talking about two different things here (or more accurately, you were talking about one thing and I mistakenly took it a different direction). DirecTV had a channel called the Red Zone Channel that use to carry all the scoring plays from one network (Fox I believe). I had forgotten that a couple of years ago they expanded to both networks. For some reason I thought we were discussing the (NFL Network) Red Zone Channel which is not available on DirecTV and is a different channel than the one DTV offers.

Steve

Stout

Hold onto the ball, Murray!
Reaction score
I guess we're talking about two different things here (or more accurately, you were talking about one thing and I mistakenly took it a different direction). DirecTV had a channel called the Red Zone Channel that use to carry all the scoring plays from one network (Fox I believe). I had forgotten that a couple of years ago they expanded to both networks. For some reason I thought we were discussing the (NFL Network) Red Zone Channel which is not available on DirecTV and is a different channel than the one DTV offers.

Steve

If you mean the Red Zone Channel that covers every game where it flips to the game where a team is in the Red Zone, then you are quite incorrect. DirecTV certainly has it and has had it. I think you're just misinformed.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
If you mean the Red Zone Channel that covers every game where it flips to the game where a team is in the Red Zone, then you are quite incorrect. DirecTV certainly has it and has had it. I think you're just misinformed.

I'm often misinformed. However, I acknowledged in the post you quoted that DTV does have a Red Zone Channel. You are incorrect though if you are suggesting that it has always carried all games. When the channel first came out it only showed one networks games as they had not reached an agreement with the other network to show real time cuts.

Obviously, this changed and for a few years now (maybe a little longer, I'm not exactly sure when it changed) it does indeed show scoring plays regardless of which network has the rights. The NFL Network also has a channel called Red Zone Channel that has no connection to the DTV version. It's been made available to Dish Network and cable companies but not to DirecTV (who doesn't really need it).

Steve

Stout

Hold onto the ball, Murray!
Reaction score
I'm often misinformed. However, I acknowledged in the post you quoted that DTV does have a Red Zone Channel. You are incorrect though if you are suggesting that it has always carried all games. When the channel first came out it only showed one networks games as they had not reached an agreement with the other network to show real time cuts.

Obviously, this changed and for a few years now (maybe a little longer, I'm not exactly sure when it changed) it does indeed show scoring plays regardless of which network has the rights. The NFL Network also has a channel called Red Zone Channel that has no connection to the DTV version. It's been made available to Dish Network and cable companies but not to DirecTV (who doesn't really need it).

Steve

Steve, I apologize. I didn't mean it to sound as if DirecTV always had this channel in its current format. I meant to say in the last few years.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Steve, I apologize. I didn't mean it to sound as if DirecTV always had this channel in its current format. I meant to say in the last few years.

That's cool. We only got to this point in the first place because I forgot that DirecTV's RZC was now showing both networks. Also, I had a single track mind on the subject because I'm looking forward to the NFL Network Channels version of the RZC. I'm hoping it will fill the void I'm sure to experience as this will be my first year since 96 without the NFL package.

Steve

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
having moved from dish to direct tv i can tell you that i'm stoked for sunday ticket for the first time. and though i spend most sunday's in a sports bar with friends, i'm happy to dvr the cards game for later playback or for when i'm outta town and can't watch the game, etc.

what shocked me was the bs that the dish folks spouted when i called to cancel. they all but told me that i'd never see a cardinals game in the LA area. what?!? i've already seen it on friends sunday ticket. what a crock.

i have to say though, that moving from dish (w/ whom i've been for 2 1/2 years) to direct tv feels like i'm wearing someone else's clothes. gonna take me awhile to get comfortable with all the change. and i'm not a big fan of some of the dvr aspects.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
what shocked me was the bs that the dish folks spouted when i called to cancel. they all but told me that i'd never see a cardinals game in the LA area. what?!? i've already seen it on friends sunday ticket. what a crock.

Wow, I don't know where that story came from. I'm a little east of you and trust me, I haven't missed a Cards game in 15 years. Granted, they were slim pickings the first few years DirecTV offered football in HD (2 or 3 Cards games a year but 15 Cowboys games) but at least the SD version was always available. I don't know if you'll love DirecTV but you will love their NFL coverage.

Steve

gusmahler

Registered
Reaction score
For some reason I thought we were discussing the (NFL Network) Red Zone Channel which is not available on DirecTV and is a different channel than the one DTV offers.

Steve

I had no idea they were two different channels. It's beyond shocking that two different channels have the same name (or names so close that they are easily confused).

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I had no idea they were two different channels. It's beyond shocking that two different channels have the same name (or names so close that they are easily confused).

Now that you mention it, I guess there is a very slight difference in the name. The NFL Network version is apparently the RedZone Channel as opposed to the Red Zone Channel offered by DirecTV. I guess I spaced out and missed the missing space.

Steve

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ConpiracyCard