Dbacks vs. Nationals series thread

PHXSportsFan4

Time for baseball season.
Reaction score
Callaspo double, should have been thrown out but Belliard apparently didn't know there was a play and didn't attempt a tag.

PHXSportsFan4

Reaction score
The throw beats Callaspo by a stride, but Belliard for some reason decides not to make a tag. :shrug:
Yeah I thought Callaspo was dead meat but I guess he didn't know there was a play. Still you should probably throw the tag down anyways. Hopefully we can make them pay for it and get Callaspo around to score.

PHXSportsFan4

Reaction score
Great baserunning by Callaspo, I guess. Zimmerman could have probably started a run-down but he took the sure out. I guess Callaspo read that he was committing to take the sure out at 1st. Either way, Callaspo ends up at 3rd with 2 out.

OP
OP
coyoteshockeyfan

coyoteshockeyfan

Fool In The Rain
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Jackson catches a break, ball thrown away. 2-0 for the Dbacks

PHXSportsFan4

Reaction score
Hairston pops out to Dimitri Young in foul territory down the 1st base line. We made Belliard and the Nationals pay for that no tag at 2nd. They could have been at the plate in a scoreless game but we are able to get 2 around and punish their mistake.

B4 2-0 D-Backs

Edit: Good to see Hairston back in the lineup and not missing any time after that scary moment last night.

PHXSportsFan4

Reaction score
Close play at the plate, he looked safe to me. Replay didn't show much hopefully they will show it again after the commercial break.

PHXSportsFan4

Reaction score
Nope, I missed that one. Catcher blocked the plate well. Good call by the umpire.

OP
OP
coyoteshockeyfan

coyoteshockeyfan

Fool In The Rain
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The ball was in the catcher's bare hand and he tagged him with the empty glove. It looked like he got under the empty gloved tag anyway.

PHXSportsFan4

Reaction score
The ball was in the catcher's bare hand and he tagged him with the empty glove. It looked like he got under the empty gloved tag anyway.
Nah he had his hand inside the glove. He blocked the plate. (I'm watching the Nationals broadcast) and they showed the same angle the umpire had and he got it right.

OP
OP
coyoteshockeyfan

coyoteshockeyfan

Fool In The Rain
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Nah he had his hand inside the glove. He blocked the plate. (I'm watching the Nationals broadcast) and they showed the same angle the umpire had and he got it right.
From the opposite angle his bare hand was holding the ball and wasn't near the glove. It was a pretty clear shot.

Ryanwb

ASFN IDOL
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score

I don't understand the homerism that exists with Diamondbacks fans and First basemen. Everybody ignored the signs and the whispers when Travis Lee was coming up. Everybody ignored the fact that Erubiel Durazo was a fat, out of shape man.

Everybody was willing to accept Mark Grace's extreme number drop off because he hit had a decent glove. Everyone was willing to for give Chad Tracy's inept play because he was out of position and that was probably really stressful on him

Now we come to Conor Jackson and the same people cheer his poor play day in and day out. I have no idea why. He has shown no power, no defense (not even improvement mind you) and his career .358 OBS is just gross.

The two guys I DID like, Lyle Overbay, the fans cheered him out of town because they tried to make him into a home run hitter (the team, not the fans). Richie Sexson... well screw him.

I just don't get it.... any other position people understand and I am totally with them on their opinions about players, but first basemen on this team are a total enigma

Ryanwb

ASFN IDOL
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Because he isn't putting up Ryan Howard like numbers 4 games into the season? Give him time he has nowhere to go but up.

Come on kid, who said this? Conor Jackson was at the very bottom or close to the bottom in every major statisic last season for qualified starting firstbaseman and he hasn't shown a single lick of improvement. Not even in spring training

PHXSportsFan4

Reaction score
From the opposite angle his bare hand was holding the ball and wasn't near the glove. It was a pretty clear shot.
I'll take a look at it after the game and I'll let you know what I think after watching the replay. I thought he was safe initially, and the 1st replay from the 3rd base side angle he still looked safe, but the angle from behind the plate that the umpire had he looked out because the catcher blocked the plate. The whole ball in hand thing I'll have to check again, it looked like he had the ball in his hand but with it in the glove. You see that a lot so the ball doesn't pop out when the tag is being put on.

OP
OP
coyoteshockeyfan

coyoteshockeyfan

Fool In The Rain
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I don't understand the homerism that exists with Diamondbacks fans and First basemen. Everybody ignored the signs and the whispers when Travis Lee was coming up. Everybody ignored the fact that Erubiel Durazo was a fat, out of shape man.

Everybody was willing to accept Mark Grace's extreme number drop off because he hit had a decent glove. Everyone was willing to for give Chad Tracy's inept play because he was out of position and that was probably really stressful on him

Now we come to Conor Jackson and the same people cheer his poor play day in and day out. I have no idea why. He has shown no power, no defense (not even improvement mind you) and his career .358 OBS is just gross.

The two guys I DID like, Lyle Overbay, the fans cheered him out of town because they tried to make him into a home run hitter (the team, not the fans). Richie Sexson... well screw him.

I just don't get it.... any other position people understand and I am totally with them on their opinions about players, but first basemen on this team are a total enigma
Fair enough. For his rookie season his numbers last year were respectable and I don't think he did anything last season to disprove why he is regarded as one of the best young talents in the game. 15 home runs in his first full year isn't a bad power display for a guy that is and probably always will be a gap to gap hitter. Even his defensive play while not good has been overblown. I don't think he'll ever be a Gold Glove winner but he had less errors than Mark Grace did in his rookie season and he showed improvement at first base throughout the season so I think there is hope for him at first yet.

OP
OP
coyoteshockeyfan

coyoteshockeyfan

Fool In The Rain
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Come on kid, who said this? Conor Jackson was at the very bottom or close to the bottom in every major statisic last season for qualified starting firstbaseman and he hasn't shown a single lick of improvement. Not even in spring training
7th in both batting average and on base percentage out of 14 qualified NL first basemen, albeit 11th in slugging. Not a fantastic year by any stretch but for a rookie I'll take it.

PHXSportsFan4

Reaction score
Like I said, give it some time. He's only in his 2nd season and he has plenty of time to improve. I don't think it's fair to be ready to throw him under the bus in the 5th game of his 2nd Major League season. I understand you guys want a winning team right now but sometimes it takes time and you have to stay patient. This team has a very good chance to be a great team in '08-'09. I'm not too thrilled with CoJack's performance so far this year myself, but at the same time I'm not ready to send him packing only to see him end up a big star or something. I agree with what you are implying, I'm just saying give it some time.