Dallas @ Suns Game 2 (R2) Wednesday 5-4-2022, 7PM

82CardsGrad

7 x 70
Reaction score
True but luka has 3 inches on book, better vision, and even a trimmed down luka would be heavier than book. Those things kinda counterbalance imo.

And I’ll not question his competitiveness. People did that with Booker in the past and we all poo poo’ed that. Tough to compare levels of competitiveness unless it’s obvious. I’ll give that a wash.
Don't doubt at all that a trimmed down Luka (which I think he will get to) would be heavier than Book. His height alone would dictate that. And as I said, I think Luka is the better offensive player...but not by much. And I'm not as much questioning Luka's competitiveness. I just think Book is one of the MOST competitive players in the game today and compared to Book, I think Luka (at present) comes up short.

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
If he was not on my team, I would hate him. It does look worse than it was. Brunson hooked Paul first, and then Chris sold it big time.

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
for sure and I think they are probably 4 years away from being a title contender unless they somehow make a miraculous overhaul.

I'm not going to unduly criticize Luka when he has to carry the Mavericks.

He needs some help. They wouldn't even be in the playoffs without him.

zett

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Suns need something out of Torrey Craig.

In the last 6 games he has played he only has 6 points, 7 rebounds and 4 steals.
he's not exactly getting big minutes, saying 6 games, his min are half of bridges min in 1 game. 1 game was literally 1 time up and down the court. he attempted no shots last night, and I'm perfectly fine with that. if he gives us anything at all that would be a plus. as long as he's not a negative I'm good with that.

Lorenzo

Reaction score
Luka needs the pain of defeat, kind of like Booker did. People keep blaming the talent around him, but I think that is partly Luka's fault. I fully believe CP3 could make this a very competitive series if he and Luka switched places. It's not that CP3 is better overall, he is not, it's that Chris knows how to get his team involved. They would all be scoring and that would engage them defensively. They also would not have the gaping hole defensively that Luka is.

Luka is far from his ceiling. He is a smart player and very, very, young. He will improve his body, and I believe he is going to learn how to involve his teammates more and dominate the ball less. He will learn how to get his teammates involved early and then dominate the 4th quarter--he is probably learning that from CP3 right now. Motivation and competitiveness is a factor--but I think that will improve as he comes under criticism. Up until now basketball has been easy for him.
I agree, we've seen Paul play on a number of exceptional teams, most of them a lot better than this dallas team, and he was often the best player on his team. Yet even then he has still not won a title with those teams, because that NBA title is very elusive. Paul has had his fair share of playoff disappointments, yet if you are not only judging titles, like dirk and Kidd before they won their's, Paul has had a hell of a playoff career. I think this is the best overall team Paul has ever played on and when you combine his experience it is the perfect time for him to win a title. I hope that he does because he deserves it more than anyone else I can think of.

82CardsGrad

7 x 70
Reaction score
He starts over Crowder. Easily. There’s literally zero reason Bridges would need to move to the 4.
That's likely true... though, a Suns team with Luka in over Crowder would definitely take a step back in defense and toughness. As much as Crowder can infuriate me with his inconsistent shooting and STUPID fouls, his value to this team is legit. Still, you're right. Luka would easily replace Jae...

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
he's not exactly getting big minutes, saying 6 games, his min are half of bridges min in 1 game. 1 game was literally 1 time up and down the court. he attempted no shots last night, and I'm perfectly fine with that. if he gives us anything at all that would be a plus. as long as he's not a negative I'm good with that.

Craig would get more minutes if he produced so I'm not giving him a free ride. There are times when the Suns need him to rest the other forwards.

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
If he was not on my team, I would hate him. It does look worse than it was. Brunson hooked Paul first, and then Chris sold it big time.

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

They showed that last night and I couldn't believe Dallas didn't challenge it. I don't know if they had a challenge or not maybe not but to me even with the score at that time I would have challenged it just to break the momentum. CP3 was incredible on a huge roll, a few minutes to review a play that likely results in a foul on him maybe that cools him off? Probably not but yeah it really surprised me Kidd let that stand

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
I don't disagree at all, and I think Luka likely figures it out.

I would be concerned if I were a Mavs fan because even though they are in the top teams in the Western Conference, they are actually further off than their peers. It's nice to have a superstar, but he has only a few players you'd want on your team.
Agreed. I think they eventually fall behind the pelicans. If kawhi returns the clips do too. And Memphis is already ahead. If murray and MPJ return the nuggets likely pass them. If the wolves ever grow up they’ve got more overall talent. The suns may recede when Paul is done, but may not due to maturation of Booker/Ayton/bridges/cam Johnson and post-Paul acquisitions of seasoned PGs seeking a winner. And GS is an interesting case as curry/klay/draymond age having poole and kuminga (and maybe wiseman) coming up. Mavs likely falls back 2 slots to a 6 seed next season and moving forward, unless they get lucky in the draft or hit on a Portland/like firesale, ends up fighting for slots 3-7 for the foreseeable future.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
That's likely true... though, a Suns team with Luka in over Crowder would definitely take a step back in defense and toughness. As much as Crowder can infuriate me with his inconsistent shooting and STUPID fouls, his value to this team is legit. Still, you're right. Luka would easily replace Jae...
That suns team would annihilate teams offensively

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
They showed that last night and I couldn't believe Dallas didn't challenge it. I don't know if they had a challenge or not maybe not but to me even with the score at that time I would have challenged it just to break the momentum. CP3 was incredible on a huge roll, a few minutes to review a play that likely results in a foul on him maybe that cools him off? Probably not but yeah it really surprised me Kidd let that stand
It might not have been overturned. Brunson did hook Chris first. So the foul was real. The sell job was over the top though.

TJ

Frank Kaminsky is my Hero.
Reaction score
Imagine if Luka was on the Suns...they would still be great and he wouldn't be as tired. NBA will always be about superstar players, but the best teams always win, you only have to look at the Spurs and Mavs beating the Miami Heat in the finals. I'm glad the suns passed on Luka though, because where would dallas be without him? I think Dallas are far away from a title, but they have a legit superstar to build around. If Luka doesn't lose any weight he's still a top 10 player in the league
Had we drafted Luka, Booker would've bailed and we'd have no front court, similar to the situation Dallas is in right now. Dallas wont win a title with the current roster construction and Luka being a liability on defense. His career trajectory is Slovanian James Harden at the moment, and I want nothing to do with Harden

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Had we drafted Luka, Booker would've bailed and we'd have no front court, similar to the situation Dallas is in right now. Dallas wont win a title with the current roster construction and Luka being a liability on defense. His career trajectory is Slovanian James Harden at the moment, and I want nothing to do with Harden
This is true. In terms of history, we were probably better off drafting Ayton. Odd how things turn out.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I mentioned it earlier. Ayton needs to put on about 20 pounds of muscle.

He gets moved around underneath the boards too easily.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
Why would Booker have bailed? It would’ve been the first time book ever had a high level point guard playing alongside him.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
This is true. In terms of history, we were probably better off drafting Ayton. Odd how things turn out.
Oh I completely agree. We aren’t talking whether anyone would take luka over Ayton. We are debunking the statement that luka wouldn’t start on the current suns team.

Chris_Sanders

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score

They were discussing that this morning on Keyshawn's show. Basically the reshuffle now is Ayton 1 Luka 2 and then Trae Young a very very distant 3rd

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
I can't see him playing the 4 but we agree that is the one guy he could start over
Why not? It’s somewhat positionless basketball. He’s hit 3s, drive, fish, grab more rebounds than anyone in our team other than Ayton and run the offense when Paul sits.

Latest posts

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Beagleperson