Dallas @ Suns Game 2 (R2) Wednesday 5-4-2022, 7PM

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score
Agreed. I think they eventually fall behind the pelicans. If kawhi returns the clips do too. And Memphis is already ahead. If murray and MPJ return the nuggets likely pass them. If the wolves ever grow up they’ve got more overall talent. The suns may recede when Paul is done, but may not due to maturation of Booker/Ayton/bridges/cam Johnson and post-Paul acquisitions of seasoned PGs seeking a winner. And GS is an interesting case as curry/klay/draymond age having poole and kuminga (and maybe wiseman) coming up. Mavs likely falls back 2 slots to a 6 seed next season and moving forward, unless they get lucky in the draft or hit on a Portland/like firesale, ends up fighting for slots 3-7 for the foreseeable future.
And if you read Mavs fans reactions, they act like it's a foregone conclusion that they will be able to add a ton of talent.

We've seen numerous instances of teams NOT able to swing the trades, draft the players, or sign the free agents to surround their superstar. I'd wager it's more likely they can't and that Luka wants a trade in the coming seasons.

TJ

Frank Kaminsky is my Hero.
Reaction score
Why would Booker have bailed? It would’ve been the first time book ever had a high level point guard playing alongside him.

Ball dominance. Plus, IIRC, Book was pushing for front court help in 2018.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
And if you read Mavs fans reactions, they act like it's a foregone conclusion that they will be able to add a ton of talent.

We've seen numerous instances of teams NOT able to swing the trades, draft the players, or sign the free agents to surround their superstar. I'd wager it's more likely they can't and that Luka wants a trade in the coming seasons.
If I were the mavs I’d have a fire sale. Trade everyone not named luka. None of them are crucial pieces. Not dinwiddie. Not Brunson. They’ll take up capspace. Save the space for a huge run at the rare big FA that comes available.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
Ball dominance. Plus, IIRC, Book was pushing for front court help in 2018.
No way. Not after never had a pg. book would have the best looks he had ever had in his career to that date due to Lukas passing and the attention luka would’ve required defensively.

TJ

Frank Kaminsky is my Hero.
Reaction score
No way. Not after never had a pg. book would have the best looks he had ever had in his career to that date due to Lukas passing and the attention luka would’ve required defensively.
I'm sure had Booker been patient he wouldve been fine, but I highly doubt he signs an extension if Luka was the pick. There's a reason that Booker's extension came two weeks after the 2018 draft.

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score
If I were the mavs I’d have a fire sale. Trade everyone not named luka. None of them are crucial pieces. Not dinwiddie. Not Brunson. They’ll take up capspace. Save the space for a huge run at the rare big FA that comes available.
That approach makes more sense two years ago, or last year.

Because generally, you do that, and it will still take a year or for the talent to really mesh.

Players I like on the Mavs really is pretty much Brunson...everyone else are limited players with maybe one good tool to work with, but are overall at best average NBA players.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score

I'm sure there is a player out there waiting for the opportunity to play with Doncic but a sign and trade might be the best way to do it.

I'd throw in 2-3 future available first round picks (Dallas does not have a lot) and whatever it takes to get another star.

Another thought, maybe the Mavericks go after Lebron. They could take turns dominating the ball.

95pro

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I'm sure there is a player out there waiting for the opportunity to play with Doncic but a sign and trade might be the best way to do it.

I'd throw in 2-3 future available first round picks (Dallas does not have a lot) and whatever it takes to get another star.

Another thought, maybe the Mavericks go after Lebron. They could take turns dominating the ball.

They'd be really slow together on defense though, now that lebron is showing his age and only getting older. Powell would do good with Lebron

Suns_fan69

Official ASFN Lurker
Reaction score
And we instantly become the best offense in the history of the league and while our D might take a hit, we’d still be very good (one player CAN be hidden with great defenders around him) and we’d also become a beast rebounding adding Doncic’s 9 per next to Ayton.
And Luka would have a lot more energy for the defensive end if he doesn't have to carry the offense like he does on Dallas. Look how much Booker became with a competent PG in Rubio and now Paul.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
They'd be really slow together on defense though, now that lebron is showing his age and only getting older. Powell would do good with Lebron

I was throwing some mud at the wall but I bet the Mavericks kick around ideas during the off season.

Zach Lavine and Jusuf Nurkic are a couple of free agents they might pursue.

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It might not have been overturned. Brunson did hook Chris first. So the foul was real. The sell job was over the top though.

Maybe it was the angle they showed on tv last night but it looked to me like CP3 hooked Brunson and then flailed. Brunson was trying to do that move where you cut off the defender and then slow to make him run into you and it looked like Paul tricked him with the hook but maybe that angle was deceiving. I'm looking on my laptop with a small screen so I can't really see it on the video

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Maybe it was the angle they showed on tv last night but it looked to me like CP3 hooked Brunson and then flailed. Brunson was trying to do that move where you cut off the defender and then slow to make him run into you and it looked like Paul tricked him with the hook but maybe that angle was deceiving. I'm looking on my laptop with a small screen so I can't really see it on the video

Maybe Paul got away with one but this was only one play.

I couldn't find the entire video but I could probably find some video where the Mavs got away with stuff as well.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
I'm sure had Booker been patient he wouldve been fine, but I highly doubt he signs an extension if Luka was the pick. There's a reason that Booker's extension came two weeks after the 2018 draft.
At that juncture book needed two things:

1. A pg
2. A big

If you go back and read this board I think there’s little dispute which was viewed as the bigger need. We were all desperate for a pg. if we were l suspect you could triple that desperation for book. We will just have to disagree.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The Devin Booker and Chris Paul pairing is perfect. I so like the give and take in the interview below.

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Maybe Paul got away with one but this was only one play.

I couldn't find the entire video but I could probably find some video where the Mavs got away with stuff as well.

Oh 100% I'm just saying if I was kidd I would have challenged it if for no other reason than break momentum. CP3 was just killing them, unreal he just took over. I would have done anything to try and break the run.

He is the ultimate closer

Dback Jon

Killer Snail
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Oh 100% I'm just saying if I was kidd I would have challenged it if for no other reason than break momentum. CP3 was just killing them, unreal he just took over. I would have done anything to try and break the run.

I thought they already used their challenge

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Yeah, I didn't see the video replay until this morning and that was probably from Dallas media. These plays happen and it's up to the referees to make the right calls.

Chris Paul has been in the league so long he is playing basketball chess out there.

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I thought they already used their challenge

They might have I'm not really sure. That 4th quarter was unreal it was like an NBA guy showing up at a pickup game. CP3 was just so much better than anybody else

leclerc

The smooth operator
Reaction score
They just have to remember to do this again in the next game. Make Luka switch on to Paul or Booker and go at him. Also, try to get it into Ayton a couple of times.

"Not a great defender." He's a lousy defender!