Cardinals Underground Podcasts?

bratwurst

on double secret probation
Reaction score
Hey guys, been a long time since I posted here.

I was curious if those in the valley might have some info on the Cardinals Underground Podcast - specifically, has anyone involved in prior years said anything about it? Or if they're not doing them anymore this year? They used to have at least one from training camp, and doesn't seem they did this time around unless I missed it.

I have tried asking some of those involved with it from past years on twitter to comment on the show but no response yet.

I thought if anyone might have info, it would be here.

Thanks

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
I've been bugging @AZCardinals (I think that's JimO) and @Cardschatter (Definitely Darren Urban) about #CardsUnderground, and I've not gotten a response, either. I think it's dead.

They used to do weekly training camp podcasts, and that's just not the case anymore. That they haven't given any feedback at all makes me think that the project is dead, at least until the Week 1 games.

RugbyMuffin

ASFN IDOL
Reaction score
One of the worst things that ever happened to the official site.

They used to post on the website, the full, un-edited Monday press conference with the head coach.

They stopped doing that about 3 years ago, and gave an edited version, and then last year it was 3 quotes from the coach, and 1 or 2 from the players, if that.

I don't know why that happened but it sucks. Why go to the official site when I can get that information on NFL.com ?

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score

They used to post on the website, the full, un-edited Monday press conference with the head coach.

They stopped doing that about 3 years ago, and gave an edited version, and then last year it was 3 quotes from the coach, and 1 or 2 from the players, if that.

I don't know why that happened but it sucks. Why go to the official site when I can get that information on NFL.com ?

??? If you subscribe to the Cards podcast on iTunes, you get a ton of post-game interviews (from the radio broadcast) and complete daily pressers (usually about 7 minutes) from Arians and the weekly press availability from Palmer.

Unfortunately, you also get the Big Red Rage every Thursday, which I have no need for.

I don't have any complaints about the Cards' web presence unless JimO isn't recording Cards Underground because he's running the terrible #Since1898 blog/tumblr/etc.

OP
OP
bratwurst

bratwurst

Reaction score
Cool thanks guys, I was thinking that the show was done. Pretty dumb of them to can it if that's true. It's great for guys like me who don't live in Phx and have the ability to listen to local radio shows. Really nice to have the ability to listen to a show that focuses just on the cards for 30 minutes or so.

Really was the only time I get to hear Pasch and Wolfley talk about the Cards at all.

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
if it was killed its because of low listener count. Anything getting the attention they want wont be cut off.

Maybe, maybe not. I can tell you for certain that it's very difficult to monitor who's listening to a podcast, and that the traditional podcast audience is fairly low (10K downloads is pretty good for an episode if you're not affiliated with another media entity).

I think it was a good value to the "hardcore" Fan, but if the Cards wanted to keep that program running, they should've done more to cross-promote it on their other platforms.

I think that the bottom line is that the cost wasn't worth the benefit. They had a sponsor for a time last season (Dodge Trucks), and I'm guessing when they couldn't share the costs, they shut down the effort.

Totally_Red

Air Raid Warning!
Reaction score

With B.A. on board, the official media events actually have interesting quotes and comments. This ain't your politically correct football coach. He tells it like it is, and I want to hear every word, not the Reader's Digest version.
This is the first training camp, where I've watched almost all the videos on the official site. It's a great site for information and so is the Arizona republic site which has daily All Access videos with Kent Somers.

BigRedRage

Reckless
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Maybe, maybe not. I can tell you for certain that it's very difficult to monitor who's listening to a podcast, and that the traditional podcast audience is fairly low (10K downloads is pretty good for an episode if you're not affiliated with another media entity).

I think it was a good value to the "hardcore" Fan, but if the Cards wanted to keep that program running, they should've done more to cross-promote it on their other platforms.

I think that the bottom line is that the cost wasn't worth the benefit. They had a sponsor for a time last season (Dodge Trucks), and I'm guessing when they couldn't share the costs, they shut down the effort.

Downloads would be the only indicator I would think but if you want people to hear it put it on the radio or something. I have no idea how to download a podcast to my android now headphones to listen to it but if they played it prior to games or something i would totally listen.

Mulli

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Downloads would be the only indicator I would think but if you want people to hear it put it on the radio or something. I have no idea how to download a podcast to my android now headphones to listen to it but if they played it prior to games or something i would totally listen.
Do they have the downcast app for android? It is good on the iphone.

Darkside

ASFN Addict
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score

I use an app called "BeyondPod" for my Android phone. It lets you do different types of searches for podcasts and you can set it up to automatically download whichever ones you're interested in.

Capital Card

The Kobayashi of Kool-Aid
Reaction score
I kind of remember seeing a comment a few weeks back from Darren that indicated they were having scheduling issues in doing a podcast, but they would still be doing them for the season.

Sorry, don't recall where I saw it.

Go Cards!!!

Jim O

Reaction score
Hey guys,

We have not done a traditional Cardinals Underground Podcast in a long time for many reasons. The biggest one is the non-traditional schedule of Cards Camp. Once we get back to Tempe and into the regular season schedule, we hope to resume Cardinals Underground. Also, with the current schedule, it is very hard to get the guys together in the same place to knock one out. As you know, Calvisi and Wolf have other jobs as well.

The closest thing to Cardinals Underground that we are currently doing is The Cardinals Daily Report. You can see those episodes here: http://bit.ly/cards_daily

Thanks for your interest!

Jim O

OP
OP
bratwurst

bratwurst

Reaction score
Jim O - thank you very much for the response. Glad to hear they might still be made in the future.

JeffGollin

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Omo - Nice to know that you're still a real existing person and not some long forgotten legend. Keep 'em coming!

D-Dogg

A Whole New World
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It seems to me that the podcasts aren't updated very regularly. My device checks for updates, but I don't get things until later in the week. Tuesday had 4 new items, BA Monday presser and 3 post game reports from Saturday's game - and although they say published on 8/17, those post games weren't there until Tues.. Nothing since.

Shouldn't there be a lot more content, and quicker?

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
It seems to me that the podcasts aren't updated very regularly. My device checks for updates, but I don't get things until later in the week. Tuesday had 4 new items, BA Monday presser and 3 post game reports from Saturday's game - and although they say published on 8/17, those post games weren't there until Tues.. Nothing since.

Shouldn't there be a lot more content, and quicker?

Some times are better than others. JimO generally does a good job of getting them up. If you're bored and on twitter, I'm 99% sure that he's the guy checking @AZCardinals, and he'll pretty quickly get the stuff up when you nudge him a little bit.

I don't publish podcasts or anything, but I know that there are times when things show up on the upload that can't download. It's always fixed within 24 hours.

For me, I'd rather have regular podcasts than daily video highlights, but others' mileage will vary.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ConpiracyCard