Cardinals Trade Anthony Sherman to Chiefs for cornerback Javier Arenas

RugbyMuffin

ASFN IDOL
Reaction score
No joke. We're going to have a pretty light special teams corps. These guys better learn how to tackle.

It's also going to put pressure on the LB corps. There are only so many roster spots to go round. Usually teams load up on LBs for special teams.

Justin Bethel and Jameel Flemming now both find themselves on the bubble.

But your boy Jim Dray's spot seems a little more stable.

HoodieBets

Formerly azcardsfan1616
Reaction score
For those saying why get this guy when we have the honey badger, remember, the honey badger will play FS for us not CB

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
Well so far this is the most transparent front office I have ever experienced.

Arians said he was not a big fullback guy and here they are trading the only FB on the roster.

I smell a Dallas Clark signing.

Dallas Clark can't block; signing him would only take targets away from Rob Housler, whom the GM at least believes is a rising star in this league. We need to find someone to compete with Jeff King. He was terrible last year blocking. Maybe he was playing with an injury or something.

As for Sherman: He wasn't very good as a blocking fullback. I'm not going to point at PFF's numbers, but it confirms what I already saw: he wasn't getting much push at the point of attack. His only value was on special teams, and the special teams philosophy seems to be radically changing.

But your boy Jim Dray's spot seems a little more stable.

That may or may not have been the first thing that I thought.

Buckybird

Hoist the Lombardi Trophy
Reaction score
I like this move.
Arenas is a solid player & offers return ability on STs to possibly give the other 2 a blow of air.

GuernseyCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
No joke. We're going to have a pretty light special teams corps. These guys better learn how to tackle.

It's also going to put pressure on the LB corps. There are only so many roster spots to go round. Usually teams load up on LBs for special teams.

Why on the bubble? We're likely to carry 10 DB's and 7/8 or 8/7 LB's and D-line. I can create a quick list that includes them both in the 10.

Safeties:
Bell
Johnson
Bethel
Jefferson
Honey B

Cornerbacks:
Peterson
Power
Cason
Flemming
Arenas

Last edited:

Shane

Current STAR
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I think it shows between the drafting of the honey badger and this trade they dont want Patrick Peterson risking injury returning to many punts...

I dont know about that. Arians already stated that Peterson will keep that job.

Reddog

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
After seeing the outrage on the Chiefs board, I guess I'm OK with Arenas. They think Uncle Andy got bamboozled. Not that they love Arenas, after all he's nothing more than a nickle cornerback taken in the second round. This doesn't make up for Kolb for a second and DRC, but at least Steve Keim doesn't get shafted like Graves and Whisenhunt.

one Chiefs post:
FB for decent Nickel? Par for the course.

In a passing league we trade a corner for a fullback. Great.

I like arenas, but now we have flowers, Sean smith, Dunta, Daniels, Commings, and menzie. Some may compete at safety. Arenas is fairly expendable. Don't know who returns kicks but am confident toub weighed in on this.

Arenas maybe expendable but you dont give him away for a ****ING FB. Especially when you already bringing 4 FBs into camp and just wasted a 6th round pick on one in the draft lol

Arenas was overdrafted ... he should have been a 5th round pick instead of a 2nd.

but now that he is on the team he brings value to the roster.

Hard-nosed football guy
low maintenance
no drama
relatively cheap
solid coverage guy as long as you don't put him on a burner
solid return guy who can get the consistent yards even though he won't break long ones much
imo he can probably play ANY position in the secondary in a pinch
can step in to block the gunner or whatever else you need

solid rank and file type guy ... don't know why we would flush him away instead of jalil brown etc

These guys have no idea how valuable Sherman is given his special teams play. He will be their starter not a 4th stringer. Even though FB is a dying position, if you use one he is a good one.

BigRedRage

Reckless
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Hope not - I really want those two to become great, especially bethel.

Bethel is too good at ST to let go and hopefully becomes a high quality safety/corner with his crazy athletic ability and speed.

desertdawg

ASFN Icon
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Nice scoop Mitch, and nice job not telling anyone to suck it like I would have. :p Nice job by the Cards too, and moving a player that comes and asks is what BA said he is all about..."Come talk to me." :) Kiem got good value, this offseason is a good one. We need all the players we can use, and if we weren't really going to use Sherman, I think Arenas will be used quite often.
Good times.

joeshmo

Kangol Hat Aficionado
Reaction score
These guys have no idea how valuable Sherman is given his special teams play. He will be their starter not a 4th stringer. Even though FB is a dying position, if you use one he is a good one.

Sherman is not a given to make that team. Chiefs have 5 FB's on the roster right now. He is going to have some competition including a recently draft FB.

52brandon

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Well then back to my post on the topic since Caplan is now tweeting about it. It really does turn out the Chiefs are morons. Hey lets waste a draft pick on a FB then a few days later waste more resources to trade for one. Genius!

Maybe Reid since the guy that took his place in Philly is bringing something new to the league we think, Reid is going to do the opposite and bring back something old. The wishbone is back.

from what I hear, they wanted to get rid of Arenas regardless. So them dealing a guy they don't want for a guy they MAY not need makes perfect sense. It's exactly what we did on our side of the trade too. Props to Keim for not letting Reid bend him over in this trade

jf-08

Guy Smiley
Administrator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Graves would have waited so long to make this trade that the whole NFL would have phased out the FB position and Sherman would have been collecting his pension by the time he pulled the trigger.

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
Why on the bubble? We're likely to carry 10 DB's and 7/8 or 8/7 LB's and D-line. I can create a quick list that includes them both in the 10.

Safeties:
Bell
Johnson
Bethel
Jefferson
Honey B

Cornerbacks:
Peterson
Power
Cason
Flemming
Arenas

Bethel's a cornerback now (again).

EDIT: Which is to say that with a new coaching staff, it's possible to imagine a lot of scenarios where everyone whose names we know makes the roster, but it's just as easy to imagine that the coaching staff doesn't care what we invested to get Fleming and cuts him because he's not very good. Rugby did a good job of making his case last week that there might be a dozen roster spots or more open right now.

Our safety group is sad, but not as sad as our OLB group, where there might not be a single even average rush linebacker on the roster:

Okafor (officially listed as a DE--interesting)
Acho
Alexander
Schofield...

...And then a bunch of nobodies: Fugger, Giordano, Nash.

Yuck.

Cbus cardsfan

Back to Back ASFN FFL Champion
Reaction score
What a great trade. I wanted the Cards to draft Arenas when he elgible. Picking him up for a guy who had no role on the team is thievery.

Every week Keim is more and more justifying mine, and others, lamenting what a terrible GM Rod Graves was.

The Cards may be the first team to put 3 punt returners back where all 3 could take it home every time they touch it. They don't want to block it........kick it to PP, Arenas, or the Badger :D.

Oh yeah, nice scoop Mitch.

Arizona's Finest

Your My Favorite Mistake
Reaction score
Great job Mitch and great job Keim. I thought Sherman was getting cut and we get a 2010 2nd round CB from Alabama.

TEAM BASKMI

ASUCHRIS

ONE HEART BEAT!!!
Reaction score
Bethel's a cornerback now (again).

EDIT: Which is to say that with a new coaching staff, it's possible to imagine a lot of scenarios where everyone whose names we know makes the roster, but it's just as easy to imagine that the coaching staff doesn't care what we invested to get Fleming and cuts him because he's not very good. Rugby did a good job of making his case last week that there might be a dozen roster spots or more open right now.

Our safety group is sad, but not as sad as our OLB group, where there might not be a single even average rush linebacker on the roster:

Okafor (officially listed as a DE--interesting)
Acho
Alexander
Schofield...

...And then a bunch of nobodies: Fugger, Giordano, Nash.

Yuck.

Yep, pretty amazing that we've done essentially nothing to find a decent pass rusher. We can continue to use smoke and mirrors and send exotic blitz packages, but this team is desperate for a guy that can beat his man 1 on 1 at OLB and get to the QB.

Dayman

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
First off, props to Mitch for breaking this story. It's not easy to post internet rumors without receiving a ton of flak these days. Nice job standing by your sources and keeping a level head.

As for the trade, I'm a big fan. I liked Arenas a lot when he was drafted. Admittedly, he hasn't turned into the player I thought he would yet, but the kid has a ton of talent. Getting him in exchange for a fullback is a pretty sweet deal.

GuernseyCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Yep, pretty amazing that we've done essentially nothing to find a decent pass rusher. We can continue to use smoke and mirrors and send exotic blitz packages, but this team is desperate for a guy that can beat his man 1 on 1 at OLB and get to the QB.

Schofield, who had great numbers as a College pass rusher, seems to wear down when asked to take three down responsibilties on the strong side.

Perhaps the addition of Okafor and the possibility of Shaughnessy taking snaps there, may allow him to be the designated pass rusher.

B-Dogg

Registered
Reaction score

While I agree the position is weak I think you are going to see a much greater pass rush out of the DE Dockett and Campbell are going to get after this year after being asked to occupy blockers last year.

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Nice job Mitch. Any chance you will tell us who your source is?

:D

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ConpiracyCard