Bowles

40yearfan

DEFENSE!!!!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
not really sure Bowles deserves condemnation or commendation after today's game. the defense did what any defense should do under these circumstance. I'm happy they did, but I'm not sure it says anything moving forward.

C'mon Cheese. Somebody was calling the defensive plays and did a great job of putting the guys in position where they could make the plays. You have to at least give him credit for that. And the other thing you should admit is that the "old" Cardinals defense would have folded and allowed a score in the final seconds. Somebody has gotten these guys to believe in themselves.

CardsSunsDbacks

Not So Skeptical
Reaction score
By the way, confirmed by Elias, there has only been eight times when a player had 25 or more carries and gained 45 or less yards since 1935. Only the second time it’s happened in a team’s loss. So again, a good day’s work for the D. Martin was a key Sunday.
http://blog.azcardinals.com/2013/09/29/buccaneers-aftermath-2/

Looks like the cards had one heck of a day against Doug Martin.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
C'mon Cheese. Somebody was calling the defensive plays and did a great job of putting the guys in position where they could make the plays. You have to at least give him credit for that.

I give them credit for doing exactly what they should have done today. They played one of the worst teams in the league with a 3rd round rookie QB in his first start. I'm glad they did their job, but I'm not going to jump up and down about it.

And the other thing you should admit is that the "old" Cardinals defense would have folded and allowed a score in the final seconds. Somebody has gotten these guys to believe in themselves.

the "old" Cardinal defense from last year and the last half of 2011? That's rubbish 40. That Defense was pretty damn good, playing much better teams and did the same thing...against better competition.

that being said, the D did it's job today and I hope that Washington can bring a little ruckus to the pass rush and covering the TE. He does that and the D can actually improve from maybe average to somewhere just above average.

I'll say this, the run defense is OUTSTANDING. That can't be debated.

40yearfan

DEFENSE!!!!
Supporting Member
Reaction score

PJ1

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Before today, he had 73 carries for 297 yards which is better than 4 YPC. That included 144 yards against New Orleans. Today he got 27 carries for 45 yards which is 1.7 YPC. Like you say, one heck of a day against a good back.

Even more impressive is how it ranks all time since 1935 when a back has over 25 carries. Only 8 times has a player carried that often and had 45 yds or less.

Last edited:

40yearfan

DEFENSE!!!!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I give them credit for doing exactly what they should have done today. They played one of the worst teams in the league with a 3rd round rookie QB in his first start. I'm glad they did their job, but I'm not going to jump up and down about it.

the "old" Cardinal defense from last year and the last half of 2011? That's rubbish 40. That Defense was pretty damn good, playing much better teams and did the same thing...against better competition.

that being said, the D did it's job today and I hope that Washington can bring a little ruckus to the pass rush and covering the TE. He does that and the D can actually improve from maybe average to somewhere just above average.

I'll say this, the run defense is OUTSTANDING. That can't be debated.

And we still wound up 5 and 11.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
And we still wound up 5 and 11.

and 8-8 the year before that. There's only so much a defense can do and they pretty much won the majority of those 13 games singlehandedly the last two years. So far, this defense has won 1 game in the same fashion. thus, I don't see how you can say "the old team wouldn't win this". the "old team" went to NE, the D played it's heart out and won on the road.

Like I said, multiple times, I was happy with the D this week. they did the job a good defense has to do. Does that make them a good defense in general? remains to be seen, but they'll have plenty of chances to prove that as they won't get to play rookie QBs for one of the worst teams in the league every week.

Last edited:

cardpa

Have a Nice Day!
Reaction score
For me it's pretty simple, we won so it was a good day. Go ask the Steelers or Giants if they would have taken a win like the Cardinals had and they would probably say yes in a heartbeat. The team is 2-2 after 4 games and it was what we were hoping for at this point so they have met expectations.

Big Ben is now calling his own team the worse in the NFL. How would you like one of your suppose leaders on the team talking like that? Sounds to me like he is quitting on his team already. Look at the debacle in Houston yesterday. Ask them if they would have rather won the game in the same fashion as the Cardinals won and I suspect they would have taken a win like that instead of blowing the game like they did.

The Browns stifled the Bengals yesterday. Bet the Bengals would have taken a Cardinal like win too. A win is a win is a win. Does the team need to improve in certain areas; absolutely however they did enough to win and that is all that matters in the NFL. It's not Ice Skating where you get style points.

Cardiac

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
The original post wasn't calling Bowles the next coming or saying we have a great D but simply acknowledging the D did a good job today considering all the recent injuries etc.

I get why Chopper and Cheese aren't doing cartwheels and slamming koolaide. Every team in the NFL has given their fan base false hope at some point and the Cards are the poster child for this. 4-0 to start last year and we only win 1 more game the rest of the year.

Bones record as a starter was something like 6-2 to begin is career and then he stinks it up. Thing was he was stinking it up pretty well in those games and several fans were saying a win is a win so don't complain. The fans who pointed out that his completion % and crappy play in the first 3 Qrt's of the game were a concern turned out to be right.

That's why I listen and debate with those who share their concerns, I want to better understand their point of view so I can make a more informed conclusion myself and not just be on a win high.

Totally_Red

Air Raid Warning!
Reaction score
Tampa Bay's offense is not very imaginative but it is solid. Make no mistake, the Cardinal defense's performance on Sunday was very good. They were already depleted and lost Dockett and Brinkley during the game. Damn them with faint praise if you must, but this was a very good performance by a depleted unit in the heat and humidity of Florida. Kudos to the Cardinal defense. Perhaps the best part of the performance was the relentless pressure on the passer against one of the best pass-protecting offensive lines in the NFL according to Sports Illustrated.

The Buccaneers (0-3) benched quarterback Josh Freeman this week. The problems so far have been partly his fault. For whatever reasons, he doesn’t look well-prepared. Whether that’s entirely his fault for not putting in the work, or if offensive coordinator Mike Sullivan should share some of the blame, I’m not sure. There have been times when Freeman’s teammates are running one play, and he’s running another. Of course, it doesn’t help when receiver Mike Williams is running the wrong route, which he appeared to do twice last weekend against the Patriots. And, in what has been a Greg Schiano staple since his Rutgers days, the Buccaneers’ scheme is outdated, unimaginative and too reliant on short plays. The short and intermediate passing game that is so crucial in today’s NFL is essentially nonexistent in Tampa’s system. It’s difficult to win without it.The thing is, the Buccaneers have solid pass protection—the line ranks No. 8 in our pressure points/per snap rankings—and running back Doug Martin is second in the league, averaging 99 yards a game.

http://mmqb.si.com/2013/09/27/49ers-aldon-smith-jim-harbaugh-bedard-weekend-notes-nfl-no-win-win-situation/

Cbus cardsfan

Back to Back ASFN FFL Champion
Reaction score
I would laugh if Bowles got a HC job before the great Ray Horton. Also, I know he was an interim, I meanT hired as a HC.

OP
OP
Timm Rosenbach

Timm Rosenbach

Bye Bye DJ
Reaction score
I would laugh if Bowles got a HC job before the great Ray Horton. Also, I know he was an interim, I meanT hired as a HC.

He might even have the discipline not to throw a public tantrum whining about not being automatically annointed as an NFL head coach when not offered the job off the bat

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score
Today was a very good defensive gameplan executed nicely bu the players on the field. Props to Bowles for today's effort.

40yearfan

DEFENSE!!!!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Today the defense held Cam Newton to 2 field goals and no touchdowns. I'm waiting for someone to tell me how bad the Carolina offense is.

40yearfan

DEFENSE!!!!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The thing I really appreciate is how Bowles makes adjustments at half time and the defense plays lights out after that. There haven't been a whole lot of TD's scored on this defense in the second half of a football game.

Mulli

Supporting Member
Reaction score
The thing I really appreciate is how Bowles makes adjustments at half time and the defense plays lights out after that. There haven't been a whole lot of TD's scored on this defense in the second half of a football game.

:hugs: you are so cute, I could kiss you right now!!!!

Cardiac

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
That's 3 second half shutouts in 5 games for the Cards. Very Nice.

That's an amazing stat!!!

Need to improve on tackling but these guys are playing hard.

I will have to watch the game again but I saw DD getting double teamed on several plays.

As K9 pointed out PP has had his issues with the small quicker WR's but he did a great job on Steve Smith today.

Love me some LOS but having DWash back was HUGE.

jbjarko

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Despite the tackling, this D stepped up big. Can they improve the tackling? I'd like to think so. Gave up 308 in the air and they are giving up big plays. It may be more important to step up when they need to. Quite obvious that the pass rush helped the backend today.