Boomer is an Idiot (IMO)

MadBird

Go Big Red!
Reaction score
USA Today Monday review of weekend sports coverage......Strongest comments:
1. CBS The NFL Today's Boomer Esiason: "I think (Arizona Cardinals coach)
Denny Green has set this franchise back five years."

My opinion:

That's the stupidest thing I've heard yet .... Boomer still has a burr in his saddle from when he got benched for Kent Graham. How can you not see that Denny took over a team that had very little talent and has
made them, at the very least, competitive ... they have only been blown out in one game, and should have won at least 2 or 3 that they lost. He's totally changed the approach of the players (Do your job and perform or sit down). Can you really say this isn't a team that needed that kind of approach after decades of mediocrity? In hindsight, he made a mistake moving the QB's around ... BUT I don't really blame him for giving it a shot ... look how many QB's have come off the bench a revived a team. The Cards offense was OK with McCown, but really not very good ... how can I/we really blame him for thinking, "We're not sticking with the same 'ol ways around here ... if you ain't getting it done then I'm trying something else .. " which is what he did. Didn't work, but he TRIED (hell, no other Cardinal coaches would ever do it!) ... IF it HAD worked Boomer and everyone else would be calling him a genius!! ... Boomer is just trying to get the spotlight shined on himself by being controversial ... get over yourself Boomer you're not that important.

I'll keep Denny ... I still say he will turn this team (and organization) around if allowed too.... Denny is a Winner ... Let him do his thing - If he makes some mistakes along the way, so be it! I'll take a few mistakes along the way. Denny is the BEST coach this team has had, and has the BEST chance at make this team a consistent Winner, since Coryell. I'd give him a MINIMUM of 5 years before I'd even begin to judge him a success or failure. This organization has done NOTHING for 30+ years ... can a good football mind like Denny Green turn this around in less than a year? of course not ...

>From: [email protected]
>To: [email protected]
>Subject: 1999
>Date: Tue, 7 Dec 2004 07:18:15 -0600
>
>wow, is Denny gonna be in the market......maybe Ole Miss can get him.
>
>

ajcardfan

I see you.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Obviously, it's not a rational statement at all. It's just not possible to step back from where the Cards were last year. Last in points scored, last in points allowed.

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Agreed, he's still mad about being benched and losing money in incentives here.

I'm not a Green fan but to say he set the franchise back 5 years now is crazy.

Southpaw

Provocateur aka Wallyburger
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Mike and Mike in the Morning on ESPN said essentially the same thing about the Cards and Green.

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
wallyburger said:
Mike and Mike in the Morning on ESPN said essentially the same thing about the Cards and Green.

I saw them say the QB moves made no sense but not anything like setting the franchise back years.

I'd be quite surprised if ANYBODY on ESPN is critical of Green in the near future, he worked there for 2 years and left on good terms, although a friend who has a brother in the industry (used to work for CNN sports and has been Sports broadcasting for years) says it was common knowledge in the industry Green was not well liked by some of the ESPN people he worked with so maybe Golic or Mike (? forget the other name) were among those who didn't like him?

He's made mistakes but setting the franchise back 5 years is another matter entirely, he didn't even do that in Minnesota the way he left.

Scott MS

Registered
Reaction score
Here's to hoping Green keeps going and sets the Cardinals franchise back 6 years. I'd love to live 1998 again.

Does that mean we would get Simeon Rice back? :D

clif

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
MadBird said:
Boomer Esiason: "I think (Arizona Cardinals coach)

from what? where were the cards at the start of they year?

opinions are like butts... everybody got one. :nono:

Scott MS

Registered
Reaction score
MadBird said:

Kind of a funny thought. Really, where were the Cardinals 5 years ago? Nothing has really happened in 5 years. I think in 1999, they were 6-10.

That comment pretty much means nothing.

D-Dogg

A Whole New World
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Boomer pretty much means nothing.

One of the worst "analysts" and commentators out there. I can't stand listening to him on the radio MNF games...

TRW

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
This from a guy who literally QUIT on the team?

He has no credibility with me at all.

Reaction score
MadBird said:

My opinion:

That's the stupidest thing I've heard yet .... Boomer still has a burr in his saddle from when he got benched for Kent Graham. How can you not see that Denny took over a team that had very little talent and has
made them, at the very least, competitive ... they have only been blown out in one game, and should have won at least 2 or 3 that they lost. He's totally changed the approach of the players (Do your job and perform or sit down). Can you really say this isn't a team that needed that kind of approach after decades of mediocrity? In hindsight, he made a mistake moving the QB's around ... BUT I don't really blame him for giving it a shot ... look how many QB's have come off the bench a revived a team. The Cards offense was OK with McCown, but really not very good ... how can I/we really blame him for thinking, "We're not sticking with the same 'ol ways around here ... if you ain't getting it done then I'm trying something else .. " which is what he did. Didn't work, but he TRIED (hell, no other Cardinal coaches would ever do it!) ... IF it HAD worked Boomer and everyone else would be calling him a genius!! ... Boomer is just trying to get the spotlight shined on himself by being controversial ... get over yourself Boomer you're not that important.

I'll keep Denny ... I still say he will turn this team (and organization) around if allowed too.... Denny is a Winner ... Let him do his thing - If he makes some mistakes along the way, so be it! I'll take a few mistakes along the way. Denny is the BEST coach this team has had, and has the BEST chance at make this team a consistent Winner, since Coryell. I'd give him a MINIMUM of 5 years before I'd even begin to judge him a success or failure. This organization has done NOTHING for 30+ years ... can a good football mind like Denny Green turn this around in less than a year? of course not ...
:thumbup: Great post MadBird!

And yeah, Boomer is an idiot!

JeffGollin

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Confuciuous say: "When you lose consistently, people are going to say dumb, negative things about you.

And you won't be able to do much about it until you start winning.

And as for Boomer Esiason - Try to imagine how little I care.

john h

LEGACY MEMBER
Reaction score
wallyburger said:

I have said before Boomer that I think Green has set this franchise back for some years to come. Still do think that. It would be nice to look at what has happened through rose colored glasses but the facts are we are in QB hell, no running game, good receivers with no speed who will become more unhappy, have a OL coach with no experience, have an offensive coordinator that people on this board think is incompetent, last or near last in offense in the NFL, lead the NFL in penalities, will finish below .500 and a coach who in my opinion is not liked by his players. If you can turn all this into something wonderful then kudos to you. I cannot. I had high expectations from Dennis Green and applauded his signing. I see very little to be thankful for in DG's first year. I am clearly in the minority but that is the way I see it.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
john h said:
I have said before Boomer that I think Green has set this franchise back for some years to come. Still do think that. It would be nice to look at what has happened through rose colored glasses but the facts are we are in QB hell, no running game, good receivers with no speed who will become more unhappy, have a OL coach with no experience, have an offensive coordinator that people on this board think is incompetent, last or near last in offense in the NFL, lead the NFL in penalities, will finish below .500 and a coach who in my opinion is not liked by his players. If you can turn all this into something wonderful then kudos to you. I cannot. I had high expectations from Dennis Green and applauded his signing. I see very little to be thankful for in DG's first year. I am clearly in the minority but that is the way I see it.

that's because you are only looking AT ONE SIDE OF THE BALL - Dude- you just sound like a bitter old man who wants to bitch. The offense is every bit as bad as it was last season - so basically we're even there - but we are light year's ahead of where we were last year of Defense and with a ton of cap room, the greatest crop of RB's in FA and the draft I can ever remember, there is hope for next year. This is also a head coach - who right or wrong - has shown he is willing to make changes - but for some reason you think he will make ZERO changes to an offense that he's been trying to make better all season?

You just bought into the whole 'we're gonna be 10-6" this year fluff that DG said and now you're upset because he made you look like a fool. Who's more the fool - the fool who sprouts these ridiculous comments - or those that believe them? Look in the mirror John - good lord.

cardsunsfan

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
cheesebeef said:
that's because you are only looking AT ONE SIDE OF THE BALL - Dude- you just sound like a bitter old man who wants to bitch. The offense is every bit as bad as it was last season - so basically we're even there - but we are light year's ahead of where we were last year of Defense and with a ton of cap room, the greatest crop of RB's in FA and the draft I can ever remember, there is hope for next year. This is also a head coach - who right or wrong - has shown he is willing to make changes - but for some reason you think he will make ZERO changes to an offense that he's been trying to make better all season?

You just bought into the whole 'we're gonna be 10-6" this year fluff that DG said and now you're upset because he made you look like a fool. Who's more the fool - the fool who sprouts these ridiculous comments - or those that believe them? Look in the mirror John - good lord.

:thumbup:

conraddobler

I want my 2$
Reaction score
cheesebeef said:

I see both sides of this one.

I obviously despise Green but I've admitted he has made progress.

My basic premise is he's not nearly as good an X and O's coach or motivator as he is made out to be but that he makes up for it by spotting talent out the wazzoo.

He is also never afraid to try out new things which means he stumbles into Clancy P and Alex Woods at the same time. He will eventually collect enough quality players that he starts looking smart again.

He isn't however going to outcoach as many people as I'd have hoped he would though.

CaptTurbo

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
conraddobler said:
I see both sides of this one.

I obviously despise Green but I've admitted he has made progress.

My basic premise is he's not nearly as good an X and O's coach or motivator as he is made out to be but that he makes up for it by spotting talent out the wazzoo.

He is also never afraid to try out new things which means he stumbles into Clancy P and Alex Woods at the same time. He will eventually collect enough quality players that he starts looking smart again.

He isn't however going to outcoach as many people as I'd have hoped he would though.

Ill take a jimmy Johnson clone! :thumbup:

Jersey Girl

Stand down
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Boomer is, like everyone else has said, an idiot and he has a biased opinion, IMHO.

This team has made some progress this year. Does it still have problems? Heck, yeah. But just because I (and others) can see the positives and improvements doesn't mean we are wearing rose-colored glasses or drinking the Kool-Aid. We simply choose to see the glass as half (okay, maybe a quarter) full.

DeAnna

Just A Face in The Crowd
Reaction score
cheesebeef said:
that's because you are only looking AT ONE SIDE OF THE BALL - Dude- you just sound like a bitter old man who wants to bitch. The offense is every bit as bad as it was last season - so basically we're even there - but we are light year's ahead of where we were last year of Defense and with a ton of cap room, the greatest crop of RB's in FA and the draft I can ever remember, there is hope for next year. This is also a head coach - who right or wrong - has shown he is willing to make changes - but for some reason you think he will make ZERO changes to an offense that he's been trying to make better all season?.
:stupid:

Rocco

All Star
Reaction score
Stupid statement by Esiason.

Green is starting to bring this team out of the dark ages. The problem for Green is the same as it has been for every other Cardinal coach - not enough horses on the roster. Be patient, I think it's going to take two more offseasons to turn this team into a real contender, not just a 'gee whiz, we might just make the playoffs if we can finish at 9-7' team. I want to see the Cardinals win the Super Bowl, not just be competitive or in the playoffs or whatever.

Green has also gotten as much out of a talent poor roster as any of our previous coaches and for that alone, he's way ahead of past staffs in my book.

I'm not at all concerned about the quarterback changes, the conspiracy theories, the psychoanalysis, Pete Kendall, etc. I think Green can take this team to the Super Bowl and I really don't care how he does it.

Rats

Somanyfreaks,SofewCircus'
Reaction score
cheesebeef said:

I really have nothing to add....... :thumbup:

RedViper

Registered
Reaction score
Boomer is so freaking bad. If they required any accountability at all from a hack pundit that guy would be on the library steps. How far did his disastrous stint on MNF set that institution back? There is a strong argument he was the beginning of the end on that show. His ability to grate on everyones nerves, step on everyone's lines, misstate the facts, was legedary. Some people might argue Dennis Miller was worse but at least he wasn't trying to be serious. He was just a dog and pony show all the way. Esiason, by contrast held himself out as a serious commentator.

Its kind of pitiful to see him snipe at the Cards all these years down the road where his crappy play made him miss his bonus. But that's just the kind of guy Boomer Esiason is.