The Foundation has been Laid

MadCardDisease

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Mike Tyson famously once said “Everyone has a plan until they get punched in the mouth.” I love this quote and I believe it is a good description of what the Arizona Cardinals identity has become. Gone are the days of "Pretty Boy Football" and players making business decisions when things got physical. This new team under Monti and JG is built around an In Your Face Physical style of football. When teams come play the Cardinals, they will feel it once the game is over. Shoot, come the 4th quarter they will feel it and they will be the ones making business decisions. Because when you come to play the Cardinals they will punch you in the mouth and they will be relentless about it.

2023 was about laying the Foundation of this team. It was a long difficult year, but an important one. I think it is clear that this Offense will be built around a physical running game that punishes defenses. I love it! Kyler has shown enough that I believe he will lead the offense for at least the 2024 season and maybe beyond. That frees up resources to fill holes at other critical positions of need. My hope for this offseason is that the Cardinals continue to build upon this physical style of offense. I believe that the Cardinals offense is a couple of big physical WRs who can play outside, and some help on the OL away from becoming a dominant force on this team. Add a some depth at RB, TE and the OL and it all should be very doable this offseason.

On the Defensive side of the ball there is much more work to be done. When Monti was first hired he mentioned that "Budda Baker represents everything we want this organization to be" and I loved that comment. Budda brought a relentless physical style of play that was unmatched, so I was all for Monti building around that kind of player. This defense then brought in a bigger clone of Budda with the physical style of play that we saw from Kyzir White. White was the enforcer in the middle and made opposing players feel the pain if they came across the middle. A big part of the Cardinals offseason should focus on adding players who complement this relentless physical style of play. There are numerous holes to fill on this side of the ball. However I do like the direction that the defense is going. DC Nick Rallis did a good job with the limited resources that he had to work with in 2023. There should be a big influx of talent coming in 2024 to help reinforce this defense.

With the 2023 season coming to an end for the Arizona Cardinals I'm very optimistic about the future of this team. I believe that the 2023 season showed that the foundation for this team has been set. Now it is time to build on that strong foundation and continue to punch a few people in the mouth along the way.

Fitz4Ever

Veteran
Reaction score
I believe the only foundation that was set is that we can and will run the ball. That is not a bad foundation to have...in fact it's my preferred style of football. What remains to be see is if we can add a defense that compliments that style...and/or get some weapons on the outside that lets the offense grow into something more

Garthshort

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Take a bow, MO and JG. We're not where we want to be, but we're moving in that direction.

P.S. How many weeks has it been since the media and Board members have accused the team of tanking?

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
Take a bow, MO and JG. We're not where we want to be, but we're moving in that direction.

P.S. How many weeks has it been since the media and Board members have accused the team of tanking?

Today? People were accusing Prater of purposefully missing those kicks at the end of the game.

We still underperformed our Vegas expectations.

football karma

Happy in the pretense of knowledge
Reaction score
i believe one of the things a bad / rebuilding team has to accomplish is to find a few players that might have gone overlooked but take advantage of the opportunity afforded by playing on a talent deprived team --

so for 2023:

1. Froholdt. Journeyman up to this past season, but seemed to get better as the year went on. Surprisingly good athlete -- they pull him on certain plays and he is out there.

2. Rashard Higgins. A nice complementary move TE. Overcame some really bad drops early and turned into an option in the offense.

3. Starling Thomas. Probably a depth guy and hard to judge CBs with the teams lack of pass rush, but i thought he held up well that last couple weeks.

slanidrac16

ASFN Icon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Two things stuck out to me yesterday.

Connor. He came out of halftime with an ice bag around his knee. My first reaction was, take the rest of the season off my friend. Good job. He went right back in.

Murray. He got his leg twisted under him on the late hit. He clearly limped off. By rule had to come out and Miss a play. I’m sure our collective hearts stopped for a minute. He went right back in.

They both went in. A game that not only was meaningless but was actually beneficial if we lost.

The culture on this team has officially changed. Hearing Murray say, “This is the last year we will not be in the playoffs.” says all I need to know about 2024.

Garthshort

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Today? People were accusing Prater of purposefully missing those kicks at the end of the game.

We still underperformed our Vegas expectations.
We'll never know until Prater's book comes out, long after his retirement. :)

P.S. And the word accuse, should be congratulate.