ASU vs UofA

Mulli

Supporting Member
Reaction score
ASU fans are acting like they pummeled us. The game was close up until the middle of the 4th quarter. And that was with some pretty bad wide receiver play on our part. If I was an ASU fan (and I'm glad I'm not), I'd be more worried about trying to win whatever Bowl game you go to after that performance against a supposedly pathetic team.
Why should we be worried, not like any of us are actually playing? :)

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
How many years in a row has Chap said this? I'm pretty sure he's coined that phrase...SO PLEASE, nobody use that phrase as chap has rights to that idiotic statement.

Um, I hardly ever post on this board, and I've never made that "idiotic" statement before. Reading the above, I think we see what is truly idiotic.

How can fans of a team that actually won have so much sour grapes?

Arizona's Finest

Your My Favorite Mistake
Reaction score
I havn't read the majority of the posts on these last 6 pages (and I'm not sure I'd want too) but I have to give credit where credit is due.

ASU played stellar defense and made the big play when they had to. Rudy even played better than I thought he would so credit to him too.

But mainly I attribute that win to the difference in the coaching staffs. It's either the brilliance of Dennis Ercikson or maybe the immature mistakes of a Stoops led staff. That comment from Marcus Marquadt after the game is very telling IMO.

Good luck and hopefully you represent the conference in a BCS game.

I'm not sure what to expect from next year at this point. :shrug:

MaoTosiFanClub

The problem
Reaction score
Oh, it was an exciting game except for those lame UA drops, but it was definitely exciting. And even though everyone hates Stoops, I think this last month was a step in the right direction for our program. You guys will enjoy your bowl game, whatever it is this year, but we'll finally be in the running next year.
Come on man, beating terrible UCLA and Washington teams who are about to fire their head coaches and a Dennis Dixon-less Oregon squad is nothing to write home about. Stoops is not a good coach, I love Arizona Football but they will never do anything significant as long as he is the head coach. ASU isn't that much more talented than Arizona (there's maybe two NFL players among ASU's starters), but the coaching difference wasn't close when Koetter was there and the gap has widened even further.

Last edited:

HooverDam

Reaction score
^Washington is rumored to be firing Ty? I haven't heard anything about this, I'd be surprised as this was what, only his 3rd year there?

Gaddabout

Plucky Comic Relief
Supporting Member
Reaction score
ASU isn't that much more talented than Arizona (there's maybe two NFL players among ASU's starters)

This is the truth, and probably understated. I've been looking down the ASU roster and I could only find two possible first-day NFL draftees among the seniors and the rest are borderline URFAs. Robert James will become someone's first-day SS pet project and some team's going to find a nice bargain in Torain in the 4th round. All the other seniors should be learning how to put together a real-world resume. Only Mike Jones and Omar Bolden have first-day talent among the underclassmen, and they're nowhere near performing to that level. Dexter Davis will be knocked for size even after he breaks Suggs' career sacks record.

For UA, Cason will be a first-day draftee and Louis Holmes is pretty much guaranteed to fool some NFL scout when he's working out in shorts. Larsen could be a 4th-round run-stopping choice, although I think he's more of a 6th-round talent. UA just might have more NFL picks this year than ASU!

Kel Varnsen

Supporting Member
Moderator Emeritus
Reaction score
Come on man, beating terrible UCLA and Washington teams who are about to fire their head coaches and a Dennis Dixon-less Oregon squad is nothing to write home about. Stoops is not a good coach, I love Arizona Football but they will never do anything significant as long as he is the head coach. ASU isn't that much more talented than Arizona (there's maybe two NFL players among ASU's starters), but the coaching difference wasn't close when Koetter was there and the gap has widened even further.

I only watch one Arizona game a year, so I don't know much about them, but does Stoops always act like that on the sideline?

It's kind of hard to be the least mature person on a sideline crammed with a bunch of college kids.

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score

Don't fool everyone Mao, you HATE Arizona football! Or at least, you only like Arizona football when they win. :)

MaoTosiFanClub

The problem
Reaction score
I only watch one Arizona game a year, so I don't know much about them, but does Stoops always act like that on the sideline?
Yes, it's quite embarrassing and directly cost Arizona at least one game this year.

They say players take after their coaches which is probably why Arizona is a schizo team that plays too wound up and blames the officials instead of being accountable.

azmike74

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
They won by virtue of a 'tie-breaker'. Both teams had the same records in conference and out of conference. BTW, USC beat only two teams with winning records this year - ASU beat one. Clearly, USC is the best team in the Pac-10. However one has to wonder what could have been in the Pac-10 if Dixon doesn't get hurt, nor Torain, Longshore, Booty, and many others. The Pac-10 was on its way to a great season - instead, it limped to the finishing line.

I completely agree. USC, OU, and Cal were set to be great teams, I never thought ASU would have finished ahead of any of them. Personally, I wish, we could have seen how good they could have been.
Edit, I thought ASU would finish no better than 4th in the PAC, I wish we would have seen how good they could be with an aggressive offense.

ASUCHRIS

ONE HEART BEAT!!!
Reaction score
Yes, it's quite embarrassing and directly cost Arizona at least one game this year.

They say players take after their coaches which is probably why Arizona is a schizo team that plays too wound up and blames the officials instead of being accountable.

I was pretty surprised at the antics on the U of A sideline. As an ASU fan I am very happy of the prospect of Stoops coaching another year. U of A definitely isn't that far behind in talent but just can't seem to make the big plays when necessary.

Excellent season for the Devils, looks like Erickson was a good chance to take. Credit to Lisa Love on that one. With better recruiting, we could have a good chance to be one of the better teams in the Pac on a more consistent basis.

Kel Varnsen

Supporting Member
Moderator Emeritus
Reaction score
I was pretty surprised at the antics on the U of A sideline. As an ASU fan I am very happy of the prospect of Stoops coaching another year. U of A definitely isn't that far behind in talent but just can't seem to make the big plays when necessary.

Excellent season for the Devils, looks like Erickson was a good chance to take. Credit to Lisa Love on that one. With better recruiting, we could have a good chance to be one of the better teams in the Pac on a more consistent basis.

Is there an athletic director (or similar title) of the year award?

I'm extremely happy with the work she's done so far!