ASU v UA

SeattleCardinal

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
True. Dillingham seems to have the personality for that. It remains to be seen what he will be like as a coach once he gets real players instead of a band of (mostly) second rate misfits and rejects.

As for Fisch, Arizona may find his sudden success comes with a big downside. He has long been a job jumper, and very clearly has inflated ambitions, especially now that he is getting a national reputation. I find it unlikely that he won't be moving on to bigger and better as soon as a higher profile program offers him big money.
I will be extremely surprised if Fisch stays in Tucson for more than a year or two. He has no real connections to Arizona and really not much of a track record, aside from this season. Fisch should go for the money while he is perceived as "hot." A lot of the more likely landing spots (e.g., Michigan State) are no longer available, and so I imagine he will be back next season, at least. Arizona should do well next year in the BXII, which is looking increasingly awful.

ajcardfan

I see you.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
ASU can get to where Arizona is in pretty short order... if they commit to and effectively organize an NIL program. That is honestly the only difference between where both programs are right at the moment.

UA jumped into the "pay for play" approach with both feet as soon as it became apparent that was where the NCAA was going to be forced to go. They really had no other choice, as after the disaster of the Sumlin era, no recruits were going to Tucson even at gunpoint.

Meanwhile, noted idiot Ray Anderson dithered, neglected, and alienated any potential contributors that might have gotten ASU on similar footing. And they are now paying the price in terms of a lack of viable talent and depth.

Believe me, if ASU can even get just moderately organized in terms of NIL, they will be back to being the consistently better football program within a couple years at the outside.
I went to the game with my Dad yesterday. He is in pretty deep with this kind of stuff. He said the day Anderson resigned people started stepping up.

But I am not optimistic for the future. The talent here has never been worse. Recruiting is still very difficult and the program still has the NCAA axe above it's neck. Basketball is the best hope for a quick turnaround to an elite program. But the department is so impoverished they can't put pennies into improving facilities that are now a total embarrassment.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I went to the game with my Dad yesterday. He is in pretty deep with this kind of stuff. He said the day Anderson resigned people started stepping up.

But I am not optimistic for the future. The talent here has never been worse. Recruiting is still very difficult and the program still has the NCAA axe above it's neck. Basketball is the best hope for a quick turnaround to an elite program. But the department is so impoverished they can't put pennies into improving facilities that are now a total embarrassment.

Facilities is a big part of it, as you note.

When the Suns built their new training facility, it immediately made them a player in free agency.

I don't understand, or I guess I do, it's deplorable the ASU basketball facilities have been ignored for so long.

It's sad the people at the top just don't get it. Hopefully a new athletic director will have some impact.

GatorAZ

feed hopkins
Reaction score
I will be extremely surprised if Fisch stays in Tucson for more than a year or two. He has no real connections to Arizona and really not much of a track record, aside from this season. Fisch should go for the money while he is perceived as "hot." A lot of the more likely landing spots (e.g., Michigan State) are no longer available, and so I imagine he will be back next season, at least. Arizona should do well next year in the BXII, which is looking increasingly awful.

Even the biggest UA honks don’t think Jedd is here for good but he’s not moving on for just a minor upgrade. Look at Texas A&M who has more money than God and nobody wants that job. If Oregon St isn’t being relegated to the Mountain West Jonathan Smith doesn’t take the Michigan St job. Mississippi St? Northwestern? Indiana? Please.

If Florida or UCLA opens up, given his history there and the conferences they’re in? Sure.

Raindog

I didn't come here to be liked!
Reaction score
I would keep an eye on Michigan and Ohio State, too. If Harbaugh decides to jump back to the NFL (which is a strong possibility after this year) or Ohio State cuts Ryan Day loose, Fisch will probably be on both of their short lists... Michigan, in particular, where he still has ties to the staff.

TJ

Frank Kaminsky is my Hero.
Reaction score
Jedd has told people publicly and privately that he’s very satisfied with the support that he’s received from the athletic department at Arizona and that’s he’s been given nearly everything he’s asked for. People think he’s in a hurry to leave Tucson. He isn’t. Plus, Arizona is actively working on a contract that’ll nearly double his salary.

I will say that if Florida, his Alma mater, calls, he’s gone if the money and situation are right. Same with an NFL HC job.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Beagleperson