ASU @ Washington (Sat. 7:30 p.m. FS1)

OP
OP
Absolute Zero

Absolute Zero

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
TB gave us the win against Washington last year. This year he gave us the loss.

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I said it a couple of weeks ago jokingly but sometimes I think ASU should just go a series or 2 with Skattebo at QB. Just go wildcat. Bourget is tough yes but he's got such a weak arm and he waits so long to throw the ball.

Badger seemed to be slow tonight like he's not 100%?

And I still can't believe they picked up that flag on the PI a couple of plays before the picksix. Correct call they're at the 1, Skattebo probably pounds it in, missed call turned the game around

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The play calling on offense and kicking game left something to be desired as well.

ASU's defense played tremendous.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
At least 9 points left on the board with potential field goals. One non-attempt resulted in a Washington touchdown.

OP
OP
Absolute Zero

Absolute Zero

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
At least 9 points left on the board with potential field goals. One non-attempt resulted in a Washington touchdown.

The bad pass by Bourguet resulted in the pick 6. He has a weak arm, can't safely throw it outside, and this time threw the ball late to boot.

The coaches had a great game plan and can't be blamed for this loss.

OP
OP
Absolute Zero

Absolute Zero

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Well, ASU has at least been competitive in every game since the Fresno State game, even with the talent shortfall. That shows some growth, and gives some hope once they get some higher quality personnel.

Yep, and the team is still fired up with a positive attitude. Good remarks here by Dillingham, notes how things have changed at ASU, despite the record, things are heading in a positive direction. With the defense playing this way, we should be in every game the rest of the year.

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

OP
OP
Absolute Zero

Absolute Zero

ASFN Icon
Reaction score

Post game remarks by Dillingham were pretty telling on the field goal attempts. He said they knew ahead of time they were short on lineman for the kicking unit and couldn't kick FG's if they lost any more. Then they lost one, tried anyway and got a block. So had to go for that last one that resulted in a pick 6. Crazy. He actually said, hey if there is anyone on campus that is 320 points, contact us, we need you on the kicking team, lol!

AZCB34

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
The bad pass by Bourguet resulted in the pick 6. He has a weak arm, can't safely throw it outside, and this time threw the ball late to boot.

Also looked like the WR slipped a bit on that pick 6 when he made his cut

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Post game remarks by Dillingham were pretty telling on the field goal attempts. He said they knew ahead of time they were short on lineman for the kicking unit and couldn't kick FG's if they lost any more. Then they lost one, tried anyway and got a block. So had to go for that last one that resulted in a pick 6. Crazy. He actually said, hey if there is anyone on campus that is 320 points, contact us, we need you on the kicking team, lol!

ASU taking the 5 yard penalty on the first field goal attempt cost them three points as it hit the upright. It should have been good otherwise. So I guess they were able to block for that attempt.

Actually, they only had one field goal blocked. I believe a high school team could have gotten enough blocking for one final attempt to perhaps win the game.

Yes, Bourguet doesn't have the strongest arm, but the coaches know that. Going for the field goal or a safer pass on fourth down on the final drive might have been in order.

Penix had two interceptions and Bourguet one, so I don't like laying defeat at the feet of one player.

The defensive coaching for ASU was exceptional.

AZCB34

ASFN Icon
Reaction score

The defensive coaches had a great game plan. I think the offensive coaches had a good game plan but it wasn’t great because of really boneheaded decisions and play calls. Then, when the offense or special teams couldn’t execute those questionable decisions, it left the defense hung out to dry.

Dillingham really was the cause of this loss. I don’t mind aggression but I do mind foolish aggression. The way the defense was playing, you try the FG there and hope you make it and if you don’t you hand it back to your defense who hasn’t let you down all game

OP
OP
Absolute Zero

Absolute Zero

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
The defensive coaches had a great game plan. I think the offensive coaches had a good game plan but it wasn’t great because of really boneheaded decisions and play calls. Then, when the offense or special teams couldn’t execute those questionable decisions, it left the defense hung out to dry.

Dillingham really was the cause of this loss. I don’t mind aggression but I do mind foolish aggression. The way the defense was playing, you try the FG there and hope you make it and if you don’t you hand it back to your defense who hasn’t let you down all game

Agree to disagree. I don't know what you are talking about on foolish agression. I thought KD called a fairly conservative game plan which I liked. The pick 6, KD said we didn't have enough healthy lineman to get a FG off, so they went for it. That's not foolish. But it sucked for sure, TB can not throw to the outside, maybe they should have worked it over the middle, or that was covered, I don't know.

I liked the playcalling and our offense was moving the ball up and down the field with a lot of clever misdirection. Our running game was actually working for a change. But we just didn't have the talent at the QB position to translate into points. Badger was running free behind the whole secondary, and the pass was horrible as one example.

TB played a gutsy game and I loved his tenacity in running the ball, even after he got hurt. Great Courage, Great Effort, Great kid, but he missed receivers all night. He was late or just off on his passes, several to Conyers for example.

OP
OP
Absolute Zero

Absolute Zero

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Pretty cool reunion with former Sun Devil Daniel Ngata...

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

AZCB34

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Agree to disagree. I don't know what you are talking about on foolish agression. I thought KD called a fairly conservative game plan which I liked. The pick 6, KD said we didn't have enough healthy lineman to get a FG off, so they went for it. That's not foolish. But it sucked for sure, TB can not throw to the outside, maybe they should have worked it over the middle, or that was covered, I don't know.

I liked the playcalling and our offense was moving the ball up and down the field with a lot of clever misdirection. Our running game was actually working for a change. But we just didn't have the talent at the QB position to translate into points. Badger was running free behind the whole secondary, and the pass was horrible as one example.

TB played a gutsy game and I loved his tenacity in running the ball, even after he got hurt. Great Courage, Great Effort, Great kid, but he missed receivers all night. He was late or just off on his passes, several to Conyers for example.
Twice on short yardage situations they ran a silly jet sweep kind play that took too long to develop and never came close to converting. Foolish aggression meaning they were aggressive which I like but the play calls were foolish.

Blah blah on the missing lineman on the FG. They had guys they could have used there. I still think you could have tried it. Now if the long snapper was out that is something completely different and even then you better have an alternative.

I think they had a good offensive game plan but there were problems there that likely cost the tan the game and those issues were able to be corrected.

I don’t think we are too far off from our opinions

Last edited: