Arizona Republic article - Some info about players returning

TucsonDevil

Good to be back!
Reaction score
Was anyone else surprised to see speculation for LB's contract extension to be for $25M, or thereabouts...? Personally, I was expecting the bidding to begin at $35M.

jbeecham

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Even $25 million seems high over 5 yrs. That gives him a contract similar (or possibly higher) to where Raja Bell's started. Is Barbosa important enough to the team to pay him as much as they gave Bell? I'd be happier if he was paid in the $2.5-3 million per year range.

Evil Ash

Henchman Supreme
Reaction score
jbeecham said:
Even $25 million seems high over 5 yrs. That gives him a contract similar (or possibly higher) to where Raja Bell's started. Is Barbosa important enough to the team to pay him as much as they gave Bell? I'd be happier if he was paid in the $2.5-3 million per year range.

Yeah but its not realistic because his contract will be based on potential.

jbeecham

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Then I guess it depends on how you view his potential. I see him as a career tweener backup SG like Bobby Jackson. I can't see Barbosa starting at PG or SG for any top team in the NBA. If he wants $5+ million per year then we'll probably let him play out his rookie deal and see what kind of offers he'll get in restricted free agency.

SunsTzu

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
jbeecham said:

Bell is a bargain, it's hard to buy low like that consistantly. I think Barbosa would even get significantly more on an open market and he too has the ability to out preform that contract. The only non-rookie contract players making 2.5-3mil are scrubs or aging stars past their primes.

panfolk

Registered
Reaction score
Gaddabout said:
With Diaw in, the Suns can alternate Amare and Diaw at the elbow, but Diaw makes a lot of sense as the high-post center running SaR with Amare, while Nash suddenly becomes a spot-up shooter as a second or third option on the SaR. It means an offense that doesn't always rely on Nash being the bread-and-butter guy.

Wow. That actually sounds kinda cool.

Treesquid PhD

Pardon my Engrish
Reaction score
Gaddabout said:
With Diaw in, the Suns can alternate Amare and Diaw at the elbow, but Diaw makes a lot of sense as the high-post center running SaR with Amare, while Nash suddenly becomes a spot-up shooter as a second or third option on the SaR. It means an offense that doesn't always rely on Nash being the bread-and-butter guy.

Taking the ball out of Nash's hands is a risk, it may happen at sometimes, but we are a lot more likely to see Nash and Amare running an unstoppable pick and roll more often with Diaw as a lane clearing spot up shooting point center. The offense will be absolutley devastating next season.

I think Amare and Diaw will essetially share the center position on offense with Amare being the focus. Everything Coach is saying is leveling expectations that this is Amare's show next season.

George O'Brien

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I have no doubt that Boris and Stat will get a lot of time together. Boris is one of the best interior passers in the NBA and is already a major problem for opponents to guard WITHOUT having the best finisher in the NBA to pass to.

That being said, I think KT starts and Boris backs up 1 through 5. It is very important to keep Amare out of foul trouble and have someone else keep the low post threats out of the paint. Kurt is a solid rebounder at .29 per minute and brings a toughness to the Suns interior that was seriously missed after his injury. KT is not a major offensive threat, but he's a solid mid range shooter (this season's 48.6% is close to his career mark of48.4%).

Boris have the ability to play with any combination: Stat, KT, or KT on the inside, plus he can play PG as well. I would like to see him at PG more because he's a matchup nightmare for almost every PG in the NBA. He can shoot, drive, and is incredible posting up smaller guys. On the outside he can pass over most defenders in making entry passes while posting up he's great at passing out of the double team.

Nasser22

Sec. 32: Go Devils!
Reaction score
All I'm hoping for is that Amare can return at 100%. I know D'Antoni will throw some good line-ups out there, but I just want to see Amare dunk again.

cly2tw

Reaction score
The more I think about the situation, the more I'd like to push for a trade Marion for Pierce. With Pierce, we have enough firepower that we don't have to resign TT. We could try to get Mohammed for the MLE and start Moham/Amare/Diaw/Pierce/Nash with backups in KT/JJ/Bell/LB. If Amare's defense is up to task, we could then replace Mohamed with Bell in the starting lineup. We'd be deep, big, and quick enough for all tasks on our way to the title.

m323

Reaction score
whatever they do they need to make sure they DO NOT trade Marion for Pierce!!

He would bring nothing good to this team.

George O'Brien

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Paul Pierce
Boston Celtics
Position: F-G
Height: 6-6 Weight: 230
College : Kansas
Player file | Team stats

2005-06 Statistics
PPG 26.8
RPG 6.7
APG 4.7
SPG 1.35
BPG .43
FG% .471
FT% .772
3P% .354
MPG 39.0

Shawn Marion
Phoenix Suns
Position: F
Height: 6-7 Weight: 228
College : UNLV
Player file | Team stats

2005-06 Statistics
PPG 21.8
RPG 11.8
APG 1.8
SPG 1.98
BPG 1.69
FG% .525
FT% .809
3P% .331
MPG 40.3

Pierce is a vastly better offensive player off the dribble, but other than that I think Marion contributes more to what the Suns need.

cly2tw

Reaction score
George,

as the primary scorer on a bad team, 47% FG and 35% 3pt shooting is HUGE. You know that, don't you? He will open up space for other while Marion needs others to open space for him to be effective. In game 6, Diaw was the only one who could create anything consistently, which is part of the reason Marion was not of much use there. With Pierce, we'd have 4 high quality playmakers who are also good at catch and shoot. One important issue is that Nash wouldn't need to play so many minutes nor to handle the ball so much while on the court. This will insure us for potential injuries deep in the playoffs. Our team is too good to make the success depend on just one or two players' health!

elindholm

edited for content
Reaction score
This year's version of Pierce was certainly better than Marion. But Pierce had been in a funk for a few years before that, and it's unclear whether he really has turned the corner or just found a "happy place" for one final hurrah. Marion's attitude is no picnic either, but overall I'd be less concerned about a dropoff in his performance than I would be about one in Pierce's.

Errntknght

Reaction score
Gaddabout, "Diaw makes a lot of sense as the high-post center running SaR with Amare, while Nash suddenly becomes a spot-up shooter as a second or third option on the SaR."

The reason you use (primarily) a C and PG running the P&R is that if the defensive players switch you have two mismatches to exploit. If two 'bigs' like Boris and Amare run it the defenders can switch with impunity. No doubt the Suns will have some manuevers involving the two of them but I don't expect to see a classic P&R with them too often. The real problem for most opponents is going to be that they are going to have only one player that can slow either one of them down - unlucky teams won't have even one. The effect of playing the two of them together is going to be to force opponents to go small like never before.

I don't see KT getting lots of playing time because he allows the opponents to have a tall rebounder or shot blocker on the floor - Diaw and Amare both hit the mid-range shot better than he does on top of everything else. It will nice to have him around and well rested when we absolutely have to strengthen the defense.

I was unhappy to see that D'Antoni is planning on not bringing in another PG - I sure didn't see Leandro looking any more like a point this year than before. House was actually playing backup to Nash most of the regular season. Even if House doesn't get more money to play elsewhere, which means he'll be back, I don't think thats the route to go in the regular season because it didn't fly in the playoffs and Nash suffered greatly from it. Maybe things will be different enough next year that Steve won't have to kill himself in the playoffs but why take the chance? Its not a cinch to acquire a backup that D'A would play but its stupid not to try every reasonable avenue. Giving history a chance to repeat itself is not wise if you can avoid it. I wouldn't mind the Suns bringing Andre Barrett back - if Toronto spends its #1 pick on a PG it wouldn't be surprising if Andre were available. If we could trade our two picks for the #17 or so, maybe we could snatch one out of the draft - thats not a bad idea in any case because we need to look a little past next year.

Gaddabout

Plucky Comic Relief
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Errntknght said:
The reason you use (primarily) a C and PG running the P&R is that if the defensive players switch you have two mismatches to exploit. If two 'bigs' like Boris and Amare run it the defenders can switch with impunity. No doubt the Suns will have some manuevers involving the two of them but I don't expect to see a classic P&R with them too often. The real problem for most opponents is going to be that they are going to have only one player that can slow either one of them down - unlucky teams won't have even one. The effect of playing the two of them together is going to be to force opponents to go small like never before.

But Boris is not a big, he just plays that position. The question is whether or not the opponent chooses to use a big to guard Boris on the high post. I suspect teams will be more creative in guarding him next year, with more teams going small when he's in the lineup.

Errntknght said:
I was unhappy to see that D'Antoni is planning on not bringing in another PG - I sure didn't see Leandro looking any more like a point this year than before.

Agreed. It's like the Suns are oblivious to Nash's declining rate of return in the playoffs.

panfolk

Registered
Reaction score
Treesquid said:
I think Amare and Diaw will essetially share the center position on offense with Amare being the focus. Everything Coach is saying is leveling expectations that this is Amare's show next season.

I guess I'm dense. Do you mean D'A would have voted Diversify in my poll:D?
Or the other way around?

panfolk

Registered
Reaction score
Errntknght said:
I was unhappy to see that D'Antoni is planning on not bringing in another PG - I sure didn't see Leandro looking any more like a point this year than before. House was actually playing backup to Nash most of the regular season. Even if House doesn't get more money to play elsewhere, which means he'll be back, I don't think thats the route to go in the regular season because it didn't fly in the playoffs and Nash suffered greatly from it. Maybe things will be different enough next year that Steve won't have to kill himself in the playoffs but why take the chance? Its not a cinch to acquire a backup that D'A would play but its stupid not to try every reasonable avenue. Giving history a chance to repeat itself is not wise if you can avoid it. I wouldn't mind the Suns bringing Andre Barrett back - if Toronto spends its #1 pick on a PG it wouldn't be surprising if Andre were available. If we could trade our two picks for the #17 or so, maybe we could snatch one out of the draft - thats not a bad idea in any case because we need to look a little past next year.

When did D'A say that he wouldn't bring in a new point guard? If that's true I'm really feeling bad for Nash right now.

Arizona's Finest

Your My Favorite Mistake
Reaction score
My thoughts:

Paul Pierce would have MVP potential on a team like Phoenix. PP is a one of a kind talent when it comes to scoring and i think he has barely tapped his potential playing for the Celtics with their poor coaching and system. Pierce would be a maniac out here and I would say he would be a top 5 PPG guy if he was on this team as the "rejuvinated" truth. I liken it to the Carter situation in NJ. Immensley talented guy who would only benefit form a change of scenery.

Saying all that, I don't make that move until i know Amare is not going ot be completly healthy ever again. Otherwise its to many cooks stirring the broth. Marion fits in as he would be a great "hard hat" guy doing all the little things on a team with enough scoring options. I think a move back to the perimeter would only increase his value. Still that salary is daunting. So heres what i would do.

Resign Diaw at whatever cost
Trade Barbosa and Marion to acquire young talent (Im thinking Barbosa, Marion and a draft pick for Willie Green, Kyle Korver and Andre Iguodala). I dont like Korvers contract at all but he WOULD thrive on this team off the bench and would serve a much more purposful role than House as he is taller and more reliable. Green could take some minutes off of Nash as he would thrive in an uptempo style and I think Iggy would be an absolute STAR on this team. In a year or two after making this trade, I really believe he would match Marions production with more of an ability to create his own shot. Plus his passing ability is very underrated.

Resign Tim Thomas
Draft Jordan Farmar or Rajon Rando if either is available with first pick
European project with second first round pick
Resign Skita

So here we go

Nash
Bell
Igoudala
Diaw
Amare

Back ups

Guards - House, Green, Korver, Rookie
Forwards - Thomas, Grant, Skita
Center - KT, Burke

So thats 14 total but Burke would possibly be expendable

I love Thomas and Thomas coming off the bench for playoff reasoning and I think Korver would come off the bench and provide much needed shooting. Green would serve Barbosas role (but not as good) and House could continue his role of winning us a couple regular season games.

My preference is that we just keep EVERYBODY and go for another title run, but i love the idea of getting a young stud tailor made for our system in Iguodla and I think Marion will be traded downt the road eventually anyway.

Plus its a lot more fun to speculate trade scenarios;)

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
Everyone should just forget about Igoudala. There is no way we'll ever get him.

jibikao

Reaction score
Nasser22 said:
Well, that's why they got Kurt. He's a good defender against the big men.

And I hope they do keep Kurt Thomas. KT really only needs to play 15-18min per game to be effective.

Arizona's Finest

Your My Favorite Mistake
Reaction score
Chaplin said:
Everyone should just forget about Igoudala. There is no way we'll ever get him.

:notworthy

My deepest apologies sir. Do you think i could get a list of basketball related items Chaplin feels "should never be brought up because they reek of complete ignorance."

I would rather just save myself the abject shame that comes with considering anything that is opposed to whats going on in that head of yours.;)

Here I'll start for ya:

Obtaining Andre Iguodala
Robert Sarver is cheap
Joe Johnson was not lowballed and left complelty on his own volition.....

What else am i missing.....?:shrug:

Nasser22

Sec. 32: Go Devils!
Reaction score
jibikao said:
And I hope they do keep Kurt Thomas. KT really only needs to play 15-18min per game to be effective.
I'm thinking more like 24. He's good enough to play that much and with Diaw starting reduced minutes will keep him away from injuries.

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
Arizona's Finest said:
:notworthy

My deepest apologies sir. Do you think i could get a list of basketball related items Chaplin feels "should never be brought up because they reek of complete ignorance."

I would rather just save myself the abject shame that comes with considering anything that is opposed to whats going on in that head of yours.;)

Here I'll start for ya:

Obtaining Andre Iguodala
Robert Sarver is cheap
Joe Johnson was not lowballed and left complelty on his own volition.....

What else am i missing.....?:shrug:

Hmm, I didn't make this personal, but apparently you are.

Igoudala is a pipe dream. The sooner you believe it, the sooner we don't have to waste our time reading about it.

Tank

Wifi Guru
Reaction score
jibikao said:

As much and I want to keep KT and think he will be important to this team next year, to keep him at his salary to only play 15-18 min/game would be crazy.