sunsfn

Reaction score
Suns see Amaré's return as only change needed
Paul Coro
The Arizona Republic
Jun. 5, 2006 12:00 AM
[FONT=arial,helvetica,sans-serif]
The Suns are not far away from a title.

They still might be playing if they had a healthy starting shooting guard.

They think Leandro Barbosa can be the backup playmaker.

They plan to only tweak a good team in the off-season.

Maybe you have heard all of this before, like a year ago when five players wound up returning in October.

This time, the Suns say they mean it. They think they already have the best off-season pickup signed - Amaré Stoudemire, who is coming off two knees surgeries with plans to not "settle for anything less than a championship next year."

"Lord knows I hope it doesn't blow up, but we will do everything we can to have a championship team," said Mike D'Antoni, who goes from coaching duties to executive vice president and general manager duties today.

What does adding Stoudemire to a Western Conference finals team equal? It's not a simple equation that injects 20-some points and eight to 10 rebounds. There are egos to massage, a crowded lane to configure and lineups to shuffle, but the prospects are tantalizing.

As of today, the 2006-07 Suns would send out Steve Nash, Raja Bell, Shawn Marion, Boris Diaw and Stoudemire for the tip in the opener.

"(Stoudemire's return) gives us enough to win a championship," D'Antoni said. "Now, it's up to us as coaches and players to put it all together and do that. Any time you throw a rock in the pond, you've got some ripples. We're going to have to figure that out. This is a boulder we're throwing in.

"Everybody's got to be cool and understand the goal is to win a championship. Do I average two less points? Maybe. Do I average 10 less points? Maybe. I might not have a career year, because there's only so many points to go around. There's where the character comes in."

Phoenix has until preseason to work out contract extensions for its rising players, Barbosa and Diaw, who reiterated hopes to stay Sunday. Barbosa, 23, might sign for a deal approaching the one Bell signed last year (five years, $24 million), but Diaw, 24, will be much more expensive. Both remain on rookie deals next season, paying them a combined $3.5 million.

As for other Suns with contract issues, Pat Burke plans to come back, Brian Grant is leaning that way and Eddie House is on the fence after fading out of the playoff rotation.

Phoenix has two draft picks (Nos. 21 and 27), which they could package to move up or deal one to lessen the burden of guaranteed contracts with a payroll creeping toward the luxury tax threshold.

It will be hard to re-sign unrestricted free agent Tim Thomas, even at a midlevel exception starting price of about $5.5 million, and avoid being taxed unless a player is moved.

"We want him," D'Antoni said. "We love him."

Thomas shot down the popular theory that he will wind up with New Jersey. He said his wife "won't allow it" because it would be "too much" with both being natives. He said he will not listen to any other team until he hears from Phoenix. Free agency contact begins July 1.

"I'm not going to sit here and say that I'm not going to make as much money as I can," said Thomas, who is willing to be a reserve. "But at the same time, just knowing what's at stake here and what's here to reach that goal, it would be almost (ridiculous) to try to go somewhere else and get paid and have a setback as far as winning."

The Suns also have a $3.6 million trade exception. But if it means taking on more salary, they may let it expire.

As with every season, a Marion trade rumor is sure to surface despite consecutive All-NBA seasons. When the call comes, D'Antoni said: "I'll listen because you always have to listen. And then we'll go, 'No.' . . . Shawn has to know we're not doing anything. We're close to a championship. We're not going to get into that."

Nash headed off to a busy summer of an NBA trip to South Africa, off-season living in New York and a charity game in Vancouver feeling like an even better title chance got away.

"It hurts a little more (than last season) because I thought we could've done it," Nash said.

He said he would be more than happy if the team remained intact and had a discussion Sunday with D'Antoni about quality of minutes vs. quantity. He was taxed heavily because of the playmaking burden once Stoudemire was out. Barbosa's playoff improvement and coachable way may keep Phoenix from looking outside for help at point guard.

"There won't be as much pressure to create shots for everyone," Nash said. "With Leandro, Boris and Raja all becoming better and better ballhandlers and playmakers and with Amaré coming back, it'll take pressure off all of us. It probably won't be the same 30 to 35 minutes as it was this year."

----------------------------

So Burke and Grant are coming back........there goes two slots to someone that may actually be productive, or a rookie to improve down the road. I guess they could waive them but then there goes the money, so that is probably not an option.
[/FONT]

Nasser22

Sec. 32: Go Devils!
Reaction score
I don't mind Burke coming back. No one else is going to play. We should have 9 guys in the rotation, maybe 10. It would be nice to have a vet like Grant on the bench and Burke is funny. :) We still have room for the two rookies, but I don't see us using the whole bench.

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
sunsfn said:
----------------------------

So Burke and Grant are coming back........there goes two slots to someone that may actually be productive, or a rookie to improve down the road. I guess they could waive them but then there goes the money, so that is probably not an option.
[/FONT]

Both of them are signed at very low amounts. I'd rather have two big guys as our 12th and 13th man, then two guards like Dijon Thompson or some other scrub. We never really used the IL at all this year, that's not to say we won't use it next year.

Nasser22

Reaction score
In the East Valley Tribune they talked about the players and their salaries. I think Skita is staying even though he's horrible. :)

Gaddabout

Plucky Comic Relief
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I think I read (several times) the Suns are going to determine Skita's ability this summer. By that, I think it means he'll dominate crappy bush league talent so he can pick splinters out of his butt for another year.

My abject skepticism means, of course, he will become the next Dirk Nowitzki.

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Gaddabout said:
I think I read (several times) the Suns are going to determine Skita's ability this summer. By that, I think it means he'll dominate crappy bush league talent so he can pick splinters out of his butt for another year.

My abject skepticism means, of course, he will become the next Dirk Nowitzki.

I have absolutely no problem with Skita. We need to keep minimum players on our roster, since we are already near the luxury tax threshold.

Does Skita have any friends? You know, friends that can run, shoot, block, and play defense?

Louis

DJ Roomba
Reaction score
Winning Friends and Influencing the People in My H
IF Skita is still on the roster in August, his contract becomes guaranteed for 06-07.

I'd put him in the NBDL next season and let him work on his game. It can only come with PT. Same with Dijon let him continue to score 20+ in Albuquerque.

SunsTzu

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Suns cannot send Skita to the NBDL, can only send rookie and sophomore players.

Sir Charles Barfbag

PHX fan since 1980
Reaction score
Let's see now:

Nash
Stoudemire
Marion
Diaw
Bell

T.Thomas
K.Thomas
Jones
Barbosa

Burke
Thompson
Skita
Grant
House

Now that's 14, and the last 4-5 suck. I believe we can keep the 1st nine guys. We have 2 draft picks we can trade up to make into 1. I say we drop at least 2 of the last 5 guys, draft yet another guard (and I want JJ Reddick) and then we dominate.

Don't we have 2 MLE's too? Dang, we just need to dump the last 5 guys, draft Reddick, and pay some luxury tax on 1 or 2 MLE's too. We need to go for it ALL next year. Balls to the wall!

Yuma

Suns are my Kryptonite!
Reaction score
As of today, the 2006-07 Suns would send out Steve Nash, Raja Bell, Shawn Marion, Boris Diaw and Stoudemire for the tip in the opener.

How do they figure this? Diaw HAS to be the center because Amare says it wears him down too much. That being said, Diaw is OK at center for regular season games against weak teams. Will he be enough when we play San Antonio, Dallas, Miami or Detroit or Cleveland in the playoffs next year? That's what we are really talking about. Can we win the NBA Championship with Diaw playing center? :shrug:

Nash

Reaction score
nope.

I hope we can trade up to get one good pick. I prefer that that pick is a genuine PG.Barbosa will improve but thats just wishful thinking. will he be good enough to run the offense? BIG '?' He will definitely improve as a shooting guard - he better.

to protect Nash and ensure there is a decent backup to take the load off Nash is the way to go. only then can we keep our MVP in playing shape for 3 more years. To that end, it makes more sense to get a good PG from the draft and have him learn from the Master. Rondo is the smartest of the lot with an excellent BB IQ and great athleticism. Forget his shooting. He can drive enough and make assists to make up for it. plus, the Suns staff do a good job of improving shooting skills so Rondo can be polished.
First choice - Rondo
Second choice - Farmar - he's mature but I don't know how athletic he is. also he ran the most boring NCAA team in UCLA - a snail-paced offense. He needs to make a big adjustment.

Amare, I feel should be played for like 20 mins per game to start the season for a reasonable time (20 games atleast) so that his body can gradually take the rigors of the NBA season. Playing him 30+ mins is sure-shot suicide.

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
Nash said:
Amare, I feel should be played for like 20 mins per game to start the season for a reasonable time (20 games atleast) so that his body can gradually take the rigors of the NBA season. Playing him 30+ mins is sure-shot suicide.

You do know about summer league, Olympics and preseason, right?

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yuma said:

How do they figure this? Diaw HAS to be the center because Amare says it wears him down too much. That being said, Diaw is OK at center for regular season games against weak teams. Will he be enough when we play San Antonio, Dallas, Miami or Detroit or Cleveland in the playoffs next year? That's what we are really talking about. Can we win the NBA Championship with Diaw playing center? :shrug:

Does it really matter who they call C and who is the PF? They (Boris and Amare) may be switching on who they play defense against anyway.

Nasser22

Reaction score
Yuma said:

Well, that's why they got Kurt. He's a good defender against the big men.

jbeecham

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
I would guess that Amare would defend the weaker offensive player between the PF & C positons. I also think a frontcourt of Trix, Stat & Diaw is our most potent offensive lineup, but that we can adjust when playing bigger teams with KT starting and have Diaw coming off the bench if we need to. Besides, how many big bruising centers can stay in the game with the pace that we play?

m323

Reaction score
Amare may complain about guarding centers, but them guarding him is why he can blow by them for easy points. Plus if we run like we should next year, their center wont have much impact in the game.

Sir Charles Barfbag

PHX fan since 1980
Reaction score
Well, we can't have 4-5 guys at the end of the bench being dead weight for a 3rd straight year. Lack of quality depth has killed us.

If it takes trading Barbosa, our 2 firsts, and 1 MLE to move up for 1 draft pick that can help, so be it - and then we add other guys that fit our style and dump the guys who are worthless. We need to be 10-11 deep.

Nasser22

Reaction score
We should have 9 or 10 good guys one that team. That is good depth. They only way to get 12 or 13 is to have Cuban.

Evil Ash

Henchman Supreme
Reaction score
jbeecham said:
I would guess that Amare would defend the weaker offensive player between the PF & C positons. I also think a frontcourt of Trix, Stat & Diaw is our most potent offensive lineup, but that we can adjust when playing bigger teams with KT starting and have Diaw coming off the bench if we need to. Besides, how many big bruising centers can stay in the game with the pace that we play?

How many good centers are there in the league?

Yuma

Suns are my Kryptonite!
Reaction score
Nasser22 said:
Well, that's why they got Kurt. He's a good defender against the big men.

the quote from the Republic had Kurt out of the starting lineup. The reason I posted about Diaw playing center, as the starter, in the first place. ;)

Nasser22

Reaction score
Then I agree with jbeecham's post.
wink.gif

Gaddabout

Plucky Comic Relief
Supporting Member
Reaction score
With Diaw in, the Suns can alternate Amare and Diaw at the elbow, but Diaw makes a lot of sense as the high-post center running SaR with Amare, while Nash suddenly becomes a spot-up shooter as a second or third option on the SaR. It means an offense that doesn't always rely on Nash being the bread-and-butter guy.

Sir Charles Barfbag

PHX fan since 1980
Reaction score
I say we keep our top 9 guys, dump the bottom 5, use both draft picks on rookies - use the MLE on 1 guy, and pay that luxury tax. Gotta go for it.

Yeah, I keep changing my mind. But I like our top 9 a lot. Anything else off the bench that can help would be great.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Beagleperson