76ers @ Suns Wednesday game thread 3-20-2024

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Only 14 games left in the season.

The Suns return home to play the 76ers and Hawks in back-to-back games on Wednesday and Thursday.

Phoenix is now 39-29, while the 76ers are 37-30.

When: Wednesday, 3-20-2024

Television: Suns Live, Arizona's Family 3TV / Arizona's Family Sports

Radio: KMVP 98.7 / S: KSUN

Time: 7:00 PM Arizona time

mjb21aztd

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Only 14 games left in the season.

The Suns return home to play the 76ers and Hawks in back-to-back games on Wednesday and Thursday.

Phoenix is now 39-29, while the 76ers are 37-30.

When: Wednesday, 3-20-2024

Television: Suns Live, Arizona's Family 3TV / Arizona's Family Sports

Radio: KMVP 98.7 / S: KSUN

Time: 7:00 PM Arizona time
A few days break from suns bong rip chem dawg kush to that

D grade on season awful def coachin offense is meh i always expect suns to be down :(

Covert Rain

Father smelt of elderberries!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
We really need to reel off a ten game win streak. I don't see that happening. These Suns seem to jog through half the game then try and turn it on. They aren't playing each minute 100%. I don't know what the fix is.
Aside from a massive winning streak I think the Suns have ensured nobody is afraid of them.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
This is definitely an admission by the Suns they are in desperation mode. It could work though.

I would have felt better about the Suns signing Ish Smith and making room for another big man.

Yeah, it could work but Thomas will be defensively challenged.

Phrazbit

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I know people got frustrated with his shooting, but Cam Payne was always really underrated here.

Point guards with good passing who can push the pace and play decent defense are hard to come by.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I know people got frustrated with his shooting, but Cam Payne was always really underrated here.

Point guards with good passing who can push the pace and play decent defense are hard to come by.

Yeah, trading Cam Payne, especially for virtually nothing, was another bad mistake.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Said it at the time… it made zero sense to get rid of Payne, especially in return for absolutely nothing. Was one of my biggest criticisms during the offseason. Depending on the kid from Washington as the only PG was really foolish, but apparently so was the entire no PG plan to begin with.

Yuma

Suns are my Kryptonite!
Reaction score
Said it at the time… it made zero sense to get rid of Payne, especially in return for absolutely nothing. Was one of my biggest criticisms during the offseason. Depending on the kid from Washington as the only PG was really foolish, but apparently so was the entire no PG plan to begin with.
It was not just the kid from Washington, Beale had played PG before in the NBA, and that was the plan. Obviously Beale told the Suns he could do it.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It was not just the kid from Washington, Beale had played PG before in the NBA, and that was the plan. Obviously Beale told the Suns he could do it.
None of those guys were PGs and even at the time, it was blatantly obvious Beal couldn’t be depended on for more than 50-60 games MAX games the entire season.

And Beal absolutely was NOT the plan. All we heard about going into the season was Point Book first and foremost but lots of creation from KD/Beal as well.

Yuma

Suns are my Kryptonite!
Reaction score
None of those guys were PGs and even at the time, it was blatantly obvious Beal couldn’t be depended on for more than 50-60 games MAX games the entire season.

And Beal absolutely was NOT the plan. All we heard about going into the season was Point Book first and foremost but lots of creation from KD/Beal as well.
Except guys on 98.7, Duane Rankin, etc, later said their sources laid out starting PG and back up PG as I am repeating for you guys. I have no skin on the decision, just want two repeat what I heard and read.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
We need defense on our first team. However it could be argued we have not enough scoring in the second unit! IT can score.

I think Ish Smith would have been a less risky proposition on both ends of the court. However, at least the Suns made a move to strengthen a weakness.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Except guys on 98.7, Duane Rankin, etc, later said their sources laid out starting PG and back up PG as I am repeating for you guys. I have no skin on the decision, just want two repeat what I heard and read.
Even if that’s the case (and I don’t buy that it was because NONE of them said the ish before the season) I’d still repeat it was idiotic to depend on a guy who likely misses 40% of the season and another guy who put up meaningless stats on a terrible Washington team when you had an okay back up PG who’d proven that in the league. There was literally no reason to get rid of Payne until we actually saw Goodwin could ball and be depended on.

Yuma

Suns are my Kryptonite!
Reaction score
Even if that’s the case (and I don’t buy that it was because NONE of them said the ish before the season) I’d still repeat it was idiotic to depend on a guy who likely misses 40% of the season and another guy who put up meaningless stats on a terrible Washington team when you had an okay back up PG who’d proven that in the league. There was literally no reason to get rid of Payne until we actually saw Goodwin could ball and be depended on.
I didn't say it was logical, just what local reporters were told behind the scenes. Again, I drove professionally and listened to AZsports 98.7 about 10 hours a day, and reading Arizona Republic online, and other sports sites like PHNX. to making news, just letting you guys know what I heard.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I didn't say it was logical, just what local reporters were told behind the scenes. Again, I drove professionally and listened to AZsports 98.7 about 10 hours a day, and reading Arizona Republic online, and other sports sites like PHNX. to making news, just letting you guys know what I heard.

I listen and read all the same stuff. That was not the talk at the beginning of the season. The talk was Book and KD would be the majority of playmakers and the question was how will Beal fit in as the third banana.

And again, even if that was the plan, it was stupid and time’s proved to be true.

Yuma

Suns are my Kryptonite!
Reaction score
I listen and read all the same stuff. That was not the talk at the beginning of the season. The talk was Book and KD would be the majority of playmakers and the question was how will Beal fit in as the third banana.

And again, even if that was the plan, it was stupid and time’s proved to be true.
Yep, it was months later when they had conversations like, "Were were all told behind the scenes this...." I was the same way, that's NOT what you said initially.

Yuma

Suns are my Kryptonite!
Reaction score
Yep, it was months later when they had conversations like, "Were were all told behind the scenes this...." I was the same way, that's NOT what you said initially.

Google Bickley and morrada (?) etc. I remember Burns and Gambo talking about it, too.

nashman

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Well I guess we are gonna see these last 14 games whether these guys have any heart! Really bad look yesterday like a terrible lottery team just playing the string out. Lazy uninspiring play by pretty much the whole team! Can’t believe these guys haven’t figured out how to deal with screens and switches at all seem to always go the wrong way and leaving wide open shots. If Vogels defense is unable to be executed then he should be gone asap, or if he simply lost this team and they don’t want to play for him! It was just a horrible effort and KD essentially not even attempting shots is inexcusable your stars need to step up not just relax and not shoot and play lazy defense!

95pro

ASFN Icon
Reaction score

Yep I thought moving him was a bit head scratching, especially for nothing. I think JJ valued him, but Bartelstein, Ishbia and Zeke thought otherwise.

Covert Rain

Father smelt of elderberries!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yep I thought moving him was a bit head scratching, especially for nothing. I think JJ valued him, but Bartelstein, Ishbia and Zeke thought otherwise.
I thought it made perfect sense to move on from Payne but I was also assuming we would replace him. Not replacing a PG after moving on from CP3 and Payne was eyebrow raising. I know @Mainstreet and I were beating that drum. Although I was buying into we have enough ball handling as well.

95pro

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I thought it made perfect sense to move on from Payne but I was also assuming we would replace him. Not replacing a PG after moving on from CP3 and Payne was eyebrow raising. I know @Mainstreet and I were beating that drum. Although I was buying into we have enough ball handling as well.

It didn't make sense for me considering how injury prone the big 3 are. But i think we all thought a pg was coming back to us.