1st wave of Free Agency (most likely) done - now what?

Mulli

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I think you're misremembering...our #'s and our general swag was completely different with him on the field vs. off it.
No I know for sure I always thought JJ Watt got a lot of attention for dominating the crap teams in his division. I know it is irrational but I can't help it. I have seen way more JJ Watt commercials that Aaron Donald. :)

ASUCHRIS

ONE HEART BEAT!!!
Reaction score
No I know for sure I always thought JJ Watt got a lot of attention for dominating the crap teams in his division. I know it is irrational but I can't help it. I have seen way more JJ Watt commercials that Aaron Donald. :)
I certainly felt he was a big mouth before he came here, but he was the best leader we've had in a long time:

He was absolutely right - we were the best team in the league with Watt and Kyler cooking. The season frittering out like it did was a big failure, but it certainly wasn't due to his lack of effort, especially fighting back from injury to play in that shambolic playoff game.

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
I certainly felt he was a big mouth before he came here, but he was the best leader we've had in a long time:

He was absolutely right - we were the best team in the league with Watt and Kyler cooking. The season frittering out like it did was a big failure, but it certainly wasn't due to his lack of effort, especially fighting back from injury to play in that shambolic playoff game.

Dunno. I remember seeing him eating breakfast in the meeting room on Hard Knocks. Not a winning behavior. Coach Gannon would give him a hard pass.

Mulli

Supporting Member
Reaction score

Kyler takes heat if he says the exact same thing.

Mulli

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Dunno. I remember seeing him eating breakfast in the meeting room on Hard Knocks. Not a winning behavior. Coach Gannon would give him a hard pass.
Fine with me. That is "how you build a winning culture"

Stout

Hold onto the ball, Murray!
Reaction score
Pay the $15M in dead cap to players no longer on the team?
Zach Ertz$5,000,000
J.J. Watt$4,800,000
Rodney Hudson$3,520,000
Rondale Moore$598,955
Myjai Sanders$424,510
Marco Wilson$162,594
TOTAL$14,750,534

I realize that that money has already been accounted for. Just wanted to point out that we are bad at managing the cap anyway. No wonder why we aren't spending to the max.
What is your point here? That...Monti shouldn't be trusted to spend the cap money? That Monti will be as bad as Keim?

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hey - what about that one dude who had us/Commanders as the kings of FA? :(

A C seems more than reasonable - we've added a bunch of questionable NFL starters without adding ANYONE above average.
Sadly, a bunch of questionable NFL starters is a big improvement for this team.

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score

A C seems more than reasonable - we've added a bunch of questionable NFL starters without adding ANYONE above average.
Questionable NFL starters? Nicholas, Jones, Williams, and SMB are not "questionable" NFL starters. That's lion's share of the free agents signed. Mack Wilson? Questionable for sure, but he had a good amount of success as spot player.

None are stars, but it's patently absurd to say they are questionable starters.

ASUCHRIS

ONE HEART BEAT!!!
Reaction score
Questionable NFL starters? Nicholas, Jones, Williams, and SMB are not "questionable" NFL starters. That's lion's share of the free agents signed. Mack Wilson? Questionable for sure, but he had a good amount of success as spot player.

None are stars, but it's patently absurd to say they are questionable starters.
They are by any standard questionable NFL starters - average at very best. This is not my opinion - see what Barnwell said, who knows a hell of a lot more than you or I...average at best might be too kind.

here's how Barnwell has our acquisitions listed:

Nichols - backup likely to earn guaranteed money
Murphy Bunting -backup likely to earn roster spot
Jones - borderline starter/high end backup
Wilson - backup likely to earn guaranteed money

All questionable starters. Take the Cards Kool-aid colored glasses off and face reality. The needle - it ain't moving. The only reason most of these guys will be an improvement on the dreck we were putting out last year is by contrast.

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score
They are by any standard questionable NFL starters - average at very best. This is not my opinion - see what Barnwell said, who knows a hell of a lot more than you or I...average at best might be too kind.
Barnwell said it! Must be gospel then!
here's how Barnwell has our acquisitions listed:

Nichols - backup likely to earn guaranteed money
Murphy Bunting -backup likely to earn roster spot
Jones - borderline starter/high end backup
Wilson - backup likely to earn guaranteed money
Cool story. All of those guys have started a fair share of NFL games.
All questionable starters. Take the Cards Kool-aid colored glasses off and face reality. The needle - it ain't moving. The only reason most of these guys will be an improvement on the dreck we were putting out last year is by contrast.
Justin Jones numbers last year were pretty close to Zach Allen, a guy we lost who you have whined about incessantly all year. And he's cheaper.

Yuma

Suns are my Kryptonite!
Reaction score
Bert Berry? The guard from niners?
So, once? Let's put it this way, how many times has it worked against the Cards? Paying top price for top talent didn't really work for Keim. We never got those year in and year out playoff runs. Time to try a different tactic. I am not arguing with you @Ouchie-Z-Clown and thanks for answering. Just in general making the point we should try a different strategy and see if that works.

ASUCHRIS

ONE HEART BEAT!!!
Reaction score
Barnwell said it! Must be gospel then!
He knows a hell of a lot more than you, I know that to be true. I'd love for you to provide any evidence that I'm wrong, something other than attacking the source.
Cool story. All of those guys have started a fair share of NFL games.
What is your point? Just because they have started a fair share of games (mostly on bad teams) doesn't make them legit NFL starters.
Justin Jones numbers last year were pretty close to Zach Allen, a guy we lost who you have whined about incessantly all year. And he's cheaper.
You thinking Justin Jones is the same as a Zach Allen shows how worthless this conversation is with you. Zach Allen is a decent NFL starter with potential. Justin Jones is a rotation body. These aren't the same.

Yuma

Suns are my Kryptonite!
Reaction score

A C says to me average. Which means the guys are NOT questionable. Just average. That's a leg up in talent from what we have been fielding, imho.

ASUCHRIS

ONE HEART BEAT!!!
Reaction score
A C says to me average. Which means the guys are NOT questionable. Just average. That's a leg up in talent from what we have been fielding, imho.
It's literally the worst grade they've given.

QuebecCard

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
He knows a hell of a lot more than you, I know that to be true. I'd love for you to provide any evidence that I'm wrong, something other than attacking the source.

What is your point? Just because they have started a fair share of games (mostly on bad teams) doesn't make them legit NFL starters.

You thinking Justin Jones is the same as a Zach Allen shows how worthless this conversation is with you. Zach Allen is a decent NFL starter with potential. Justin Jones is a rotation body. These aren't the same.

Barnwell's assessment vs that of Monti, Sears, Cards scouts and coaches...

Who to believe, who to trust...

I know who gets my vote.

Z. Allen (26)

17 games: Snap count: 911 - PD: 1 - Sacks: 5 - Tackles: 60 (27/33) - TFL: 8 - QB hits: 24 - Press: 27

J. Jones (27) - (172 FEWER snaps)

17 games: Snap count 739 - PD: 4 - Sacks: 4.5 - Tackles: 49 (29/20) - TFL: 10 - QB hits: 17 - Press: 22

Last edited: