Being Consistently Offensive

Harry

ASFN Consultant and Senior Writer
Reaction score
Heading in to 2021 the Cards should remain a marginal playoff contender. However, like many others in this salary cap era, they have a great deal of signing to do. In fact the amount of turnover could be astonishing

The Cards have only 33 players under contract for 2021. The cap has had the effect to leave teams to have to refill really half of their roster annually. In fact, several of those under contract may not be back. Also keep in mind that the cap has forced compromise with regard to knowingly leaving some roster positions weak. You simply can’t be strong everywhere.

So where do the Cards need to improve. Starting with the offense beyond Hopkins there’s little to recommend any of the receivers. Like all Cardinal fans I love Fitzgerald, but Belichick is right, you have to be hard sometimes to win. Frankly I think Fitzgerald could be more productive but clearly Murray does not know how to use him or simply doesn’t believe in him. If Murray was going to change he would have by now. It’s time to move on. Like the baseball Cardinals are trying to do with Molina I’d be fine bringing Fitz back for $5 million, but I don’t see Fitzgerald agreeing to that.

Then there’s the riddle of Kirk. Every so often he looks talented, but consistency not flashes make for a power offense. Besides cutting him adds 800K of cap space. I suppose you could argue that’s his salary is not a huge expense for a number 3 receiver but I don’t believe he’s productive enough for that slot. Cutting Isabella does not add cap space but it’s time to insist players justify their roster slots. The only other holdovers would be Sherfield, he’s been effective on special teams and adequate as an emergency receiver plus Johnson who has been hampered by injury.

Then there’s the RB group. I wouldn’t re-sign Drake. He’s overpaid compared to his production. He’s slow to the edge. There will be tons of available free agent RBs, I’d pick another. I’d dump Ward and take a shot with a late round pick. I like Benjamin but the Cards may not. Edmonds is the only winner in the group. He’s not much of a threat running between the tackles but he can get a corner and excels at turning short passes into useful gains. He runs tough every chance he gets.

Williams & Arnold are fine at TE. I’d pick up a couple of low cost backups, one of which should be a blocking TE. Williams isn’t cheap but he’s been very effective.

On the line, it’s time to weed out the older generation. Sweezy, Gilbert & Beachum show no sign of being exceptional. Jones should be ready to take over on the right. Garcia, Miles and Gaillard should stay. Gaillard can start at center and Cole can slide elsewhere on the line as a backup. Pugh looks to be in decline. This is a fine draft for offensive linemen. I’d take a player to start at left guard who could eventually grow into a tackle. A vet or 2 can be picked up on the cheap. Murray has failed to move forward. Unless he takes a major pay cut I’d take the $1 million cap savings.

As an aside, special teams are a mess. Place kickers often get psyched out but I’d be unwilling to chance Gonzalez. Nugent doesn’t have the leg the game now requires. Lee gave the Cards a few good years but his skills are eroding. I’m okay with Edmonds returning kickoffs, he seems to be improving. Kirk had one good game but lacks the suddenness and decisiveness to be effective as a punt returner. Cooper will be a free agent again and I’d consider him strongly. He can be signed for about $1 million and was effective as a deep threat when serving as the 4th or 5th receiver.

Finito

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Heading in to 2021 the Cards should remain a marginal playoff contender. However, like many others in this salary cap era, they have a great deal of signing to do. In fact the amount of turnover could be astonishing

The Cards have only 33 players under contract for 2021. The cap has had the effect to leave teams to have to refill really half of their roster annually. In fact, several of those under contract may not be back. Also keep in mind that the cap has forced compromise with regard to knowingly leaving some roster positions weak. You simply can’t be strong everywhere.

So where do the Cards need to improve. Starting with the offense beyond Hopkins there’s little to recommend any of the receivers. Like all Cardinal fans I love Fitzgerald, but Belichick is right, you have to be hard sometimes to win. Frankly I think Fitzgerald could be more productive but clearly Murray does not know how to use him or simply doesn’t believe in him. If Murray was going to change he would have by now. It’s time to move on. Like the baseball Cardinals are trying to do with Molina I’d be fine bringing Fitz back for $5 million, but I don’t see Fitzgerald agreeing to that.

Then there’s the riddle of Kirk. Every so often he looks talented, but consistency not flashes make for a power offense. Besides cutting him adds 800K of cap space. I suppose you could argue that’s his salary is not a huge expense for a number 3 receiver but I don’t believe he’s productive enough for that slot. Cutting Isabella does not add cap space but it’s time to insist players justify their roster slots. The only other holdovers would be Sherfield, he’s been effective on special teams and adequate as an emergency receiver plus Johnson who has been hampered by injury.

Then there’s the RB group. I wouldn’t re-sign Drake. He’s overpaid compared to his production. He’s slow to the edge. There will be tons of available free agent RBs, I’d pick another. I’d dump Ward and take a shot with a late round pick. I like Benjamin but the Cards may not. Edmonds is the only winner in the group. He’s not much of a threat running between the tackles but he can get a corner and excels at turning short passes into useful gains. He runs tough every chance he gets.

Williams & Arnold are fine at TE. I’d pick up a couple of low cost backups, one of which should be a blocking TE. Williams isn’t cheap but he’s been very effective.

On the line, it’s time to weed out the older generation. Sweezy, Gilbert & Beachum show no sign of being exceptional. Jones should be ready to take over on the right. Garcia, Miles and Gaillard should stay. Gaillard can start at center and Cole can slide elsewhere on the line as a backup. Pugh looks to be in decline. This is a fine draft for offensive linemen. I’d take a player to start at left guard who could eventually grow into a tackle. A vet or 2 can be picked up on the cheap. Murray has failed to move forward. Unless he takes a major pay cut I’d take the $1 million cap savings.

As an aside, special teams are a mess. Place kickers often get psyched out but I’d be unwilling to chance Gonzalez. Nugent doesn’t have the leg the game now requires. Lee gave the Cards a few good years but his skills are eroding. I’m okay with Edmonds returning kickoffs, he seems to be improving. Kirk had one good game but lacks the suddenness and decisiveness to be effective as a punt returner. Cooper will be a free agent again and I’d consider him strongly. He can be signed for about $1 million and was effective as a deep threat when serving as the 4th or 5th receiver.

Yeah it’s KM fault Fitzgerald is horrible. He’s moving in slow motion out there.

Cardsfaninlouky

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score

I wish the coaching staff shared your opinion on Gaillard? Cole sucks at center & isn't strong enough, Gaillard is. I'm not even sure Cole is a better option at Guard than Pugh? But ok, keep Cole for depth.

Kirk needs to be released if $880 K is the cap saving number? He's just too inconsistent. We can find a more consistent #3.

We need strong guards who can work with a strong center & get a good push up front. How many times could we not get 1 measly yard this season? Pugh & Sweezy just ain't cutting it. Especially Sweezy.

Never understood letting Cooper go, he's not the greatest but gave us something in the return game. Plus the coaching staff had way more faith in Johnson & Isabella than they probably should've? Guess that's the reason they let Cooper walk? I still think KJ can be a decent #4.

Maybe Drake can get more yards if Keim gets the center & guards right but with his track record & luck on OL'men I have my doubts. Time will tell. I do agree with you on Drake though, we could get a power/speed back in the draft or FA at his price.

Larry..................that's a tough call. Glad I'm not the one to tell him he's no longer needed. With the salary cap going down to 175 million in 2021, maybe Larry would take a pay cut for the betterment of the team & to stay a Cardinal? He's a good blocker, why not just use him as a TE? Kliff kind of used him like that anyway.

So many questions but there's gonna be more teams just like us trying to figure out the same things. There will be some that the 175 million cap number doesn't affect much. What a nice time to be the Jaguars, they have like 11 picks, multiple 1st rounders & will have about 100 million in cap space.

MadCardDisease

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Fitzgerald should have been gone last year or at least signed for a fraction of what the Cardinals paid him. I'd be OK for him to come back as a #4 WR for about $3-4M just for his leadership on the field. I'm not sold on Kirk as well. I think the Cardinals need a true #2 who can stretch the field and complement Hopkins. I see the Cardinals going after a FA WR and a WR in the Draft.

At RB I agree that Edmonds should be the only back to return. I'd be OK with Drake returning but at a much cheaper price tag. I'm not sure why Benjamin never got a chance. It's not a good sign for him though. Definitely going to bring in a rookie or two to add depth.

Need to add some Guard help. I agree with Harry on his suggestions there as well.

I also agree with Harry on the TE position and keeping Williams and Arnold. Maybe add a young TE in the draft as well.

imaCafan

Next stop, Hall of Fame!
Reaction score
Only watched a couple games but Drake seemed to run "uninspired" this year compared to last year. When it was posted he was in the top of RB stats I was shocked. OL or him? Don't know.

Cardsfaninlouky

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Only watched a couple games but Drake seemed to run "uninspired" this year compared to last year. When it was posted he was in the top of RB stats I was shocked. OL or him? Don't know.
Probably a little bit of both. Our guards get no push & get pushed back into the backfield stopping Drake in his tracks. He also doesn't seem to have that burst of speed to the edge now.

Stout

Hold onto the ball, Murray!
Reaction score
Fitzgerald should have been gone last year or at least signed for a fraction of what the Cardinals paid him. I'd be OK for him to come back as a #4 WR for about $3-4M just for his leadership on the field. I'm not sold on Kirk as well. I think the Cardinals need a true #2 who can stretch the field and complement Hopkins. I see the Cardinals going after a FA WR and a WR in the Draft.

At RB I agree that Edmonds should be the only back to return. I'd be OK with Drake returning but at a much cheaper price tag. I'm not sure why Benjamin never got a chance. It's not a good sign for him though. Definitely going to bring in a rookie or two to add depth.

Need to add some Guard help. I agree with Harry on his suggestions there as well.

I also agree with Harry on the TE position and keeping Williams and Arnold. Maybe add a young TE in the draft as well.

I agree with all of this without reservation. There is a problem, though: with Keim still in place, drafting a WR is probably going to be a waste of a pick.

ASUCHRIS

ONE HEART BEAT!!!
Reaction score
Is there a position group on the offense that doesn't need help?

QB - QB2
RB - RB1
WR - WR2, WR3
TE - legit starter
OL - 2G, 1T, arguably a C

Cardsfaninlouky

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Is there a position group on the offense that doesn't need help?

QB - QB2
RB - RB1
WR - WR2, WR3
TE - legit starter
OL - 2G, 1T, arguably a C
You nailed it, that's exactly what I think we need but will we get it? Highly unlikely. I wanna believe it but I will when I see it. I do think Gaillard is a good center but they have their heads up Coles butt for some reason? He sucks playing center.

ASUCHRIS

ONE HEART BEAT!!!
Reaction score
You nailed it, that's exactly what I think we need but will we get it? Highly unlikely. I wanna believe it but I will when I see it.

Wait until you hear about all the holes on the D! Aren't we supposed to be loaded with a star QB on a rookie deal? Care to compare our rosters to that of the Niners/Hawks when they had Kap/Wilson on rookie deals?

The fact that Keim's job isn't even a subject of discussion is just insane.